Need Help From All Y'all Living in GA, SC, & NC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am again sick as a dog from the Red Tide which just bloomed again and killed even more fish here. It is becomming obvious to me that if this is going to be an ongoing problem here that I cannot continue to heal if I stay.

I love living near the water and I know that Red Tide can break out anywhere, but it seems to be more prevalent in the Gulf. Are any of you aware of Red Tide problems along the Atlantic coast in any of these states? I would appreciate your help.

Love, Mikie
  2. iconracr

iconracr New Member

It is so bad. Nothing you can do about it. It comes and goes. For you, you need to stay in the AC and avoid the area totally. It will pass.

Part of living near the water.

C
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know that the entire Gulf coast of Florida has Red Tide problems. I was hoping to hear from people living on the Atlantic side further north.

I am staying inside with the A/C on and the air purifiers running in every room, but still, it is making me sick. I am giving serious consideration to moving as this is the worst the Red Tide has been in the six years I have lived here. I did some research and found that it seems to follow areas of high growth and high pollution. I live in Lee County where the growth is out of control.

I do appreciate your reply. Thanks for taking the time.

Love, Mikie
  4. iconracr

iconracr New Member

My parents have a condo on Jacksonville Beach. They don't get it too often because the tides are so strong.

Just south of me here in Sarasota, they have a BAD problem with it yearly.

Hang in there, Red Tide moves on. Some years it is worse than others.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheryl
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mikie, this board is on a fast track this evening!

I will ask my husband when he calls, he may have some information since he works in the Gulf all the time.

They get more information on things like the Red Tide and the 'Dead Zones' in that body of water than the general public does.

Will let you know if I can find out anything. Take care my friend.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Myrtle Beach is one of the areas I am considering.

We have had the dead zone, Red Tide and huge black blobs in the Gulf. Something really strange is going on.

Love, Mikie
  7. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi Mikie,
    My Dad lives on Edisto Island between Charlston and Hilton Head.
    I'm going to copy your question directly to him if you don't mind.
    BTW I used to live near Beaufort SC. A beautiful little town right on the bay. I lived two islands down from there on Hunting Island State Park. Beaufort would be perfect. See if you can find it on a map. Maybe you could do a search and see of the problem is there also.
    PS I'll move with you ;-) I miss it.
    Once he replies I'll let you know.
    Ziggy
  8. KayL

KayL New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are so sick again. And due to the Red Tide too!

This is so disheartening for me to hear. I love the area you live in, and my hubby and I were hoping *one day* to move to the gulf coast of Florida.

On the other hand, I love Myrtle Beach SC and the Outer Banks of NC and Savannah GA as well. I just seem to have something in my being that only FL has fulfilled.

I hope you feel better soon!

Karen
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love Florida too and would hate to have to move, but this Red Tide thing seems to be getting worse. I may eventually adapt to it but not so far. It is beautiful all along the Eastern Seaboard, but Florida is subtropical down in the Southern part. It's the only place in the U.S. which is tropical. I think us old Parrot Heads love it thanks to Jimmy Buffet. It's definitely a mindset. Everywhere you go, there's water.

I'm not ready to jump ship just yet. I'm going to give it a little time, but I'm definitely developing my Plans B and C.

Thanks again, everyone; I really appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  10. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I live in Darlington, SC and have for the past 9 months but I am not aware of what Red Tide is. I have been pretty sick for the past couple of days and I am interested in knowing. It sounds like you affects people who live near coastal waters.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Madwolf, the Red Tide is actually tide which has turned red from an overbloom of red algae. It is an allergen and a neurotoxin. It can slowly build in fish at low blooms or kill fish and mammals at high blooms. When the algae dries, it can be carried on the winds aloft for miles. It doesn't take much to make a sensitive person very sick. When the Red Tide is bad, you can hear a lot of people coughing.

Some people just have respiratory problems, but it does have a neurotoxic affect on some of us. Of course, with FMS and CFIDS, I am probably more sensitive to neurotoxins.

If I said this above, forgive me; my memory isn't too good right now. I did some research on Red Tide and studies have shown that it appears to increase in areas where population growth and pollution are greatest. That fits SW Florida to a tee. It was pretty rare when I moved her six years ago. This is the worst year ever and a bunch of scientists are down here trying to figure out what is going on.

Love, Mikie