Need Help From Floridians!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hob, Mar 4, 2006.

1. hob

hob New Member

My husband wants to move from Portland Oregon to Sarasota Florida. I am still trying to get my fibro under control here but he thinks that the weather there will help the way I feel.

SO my question for those of you who live in Florida do you feel the the weather helps the way you feel or does it hurt more?

I am really needing help because this would be a very big move, but if I might help it I am willing to take the risk. thanks

hob
  2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I live in Northwest Florida. We have really nice winters here...not too cold. I lived in Illinois for a long time...so that was cold!
    I can't quite remember where Sarasota is located....but if it is like... near Tampa area...it is really nice winters.
    The summers are hot and humid...but I stay in alot during the day if it bothers me. But, if you live near the water... then...it is cool because of the breeze from the water.

I guess it is a trade off. I just know that I couldn't live in the real cold anymore...unles I had to.

Hope that I helped some.

Mari
  3. cybelle72

cybelle72 New Member

just a bit form sarasota actually. Those 2 years were the least painful in my life, I felt the best I ever ahve while living there! I'd go back if it weren't for my family here.
  4. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

We had discussed this for a while and have decided to give it a try also. We have actually already started preparing to go to the Tampa area.

I am hoping the weather there will be better than the cold here in Indiana.

I'm excited but nervous at the same time.

Sarasota is just below Tampa and I love the water on that side of Florida.

Good Luck!
    Lindy
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I live waaaaay down in SW FL and I love it here. The weather in the winter is to die for. The humidity is lower in the wintertime. Summers are hot and humid. They are no more hot and humid than in many parts of the country but it lasts six months. It coincides with the hurricane season.

We have some of the cleanest air in the country down here because we get ocean breezes from three sides. We are too far south to be affected by the cold fronts except when the jet stream takes a big dip. The sun shines almost every day. Everything is green and almost every day is in technicolor.

The bad news is the Red Tide which visits several times a year. It is a red algae overgrowth in the Gulf. If you live on the Eastern side of the state, you usually don't have to deal with it. It causes allergic and neurological symptoms and it kills sea life. I can always tell when there is an outbreak.

It is sooooo wonderful not to have to deal with snow and cold. I can swim day or night and go to the beach when I want to. Unfortunately, everyone else seems to have discovered our little paradise here and it is really getting congested on the roads. Drivers here are terrible and it ain't the little white haired grandma at the wheel. It's the young 'ens in a big hurry.

We have no state income tax and it's cheap to license and pay taxes on vehicles. A new car costs 1/10th of what it costs in CO to license. There are no emissions tests for cars. Wildfires and hurricanes, which can spawn tornadoes, are our biggest natural threats.

I wish I had moved down here years ago. Everything is easy going and the people are friendly. It's really a Parrot Head's life here.

Love, Mikie
  6. floridamarlen

floridamarlen New Member

i moved. i was a masshole for 35 yrs we moved 7 yrs ago and thank god we did. we live in central florida (near daytona beach) its soo clean here and the air is wonderful cept in the summer but thats what air conditioning is for. i noticed the alergies arent as bad here either. and they have plenty of research centers here and almost all are doing studies on fibro and u dont have to have insurance. i say move you wont regret it. be prepared tho for bugs bugs and more bugs.but thats what bugbombs are for. best of luck in your choice.
    god bless
    marlene
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Perhaps it's because they spray, but I have nothing worse than a few ants now and then. I put out ant traps and they are gone. I had more bugs and spiders in CO than I have ever had here.

Love, Mikie
  8. hob

hob New Member

thanks to all who have responded. I think we will keep doing our research. We have visited once in late spring and I did okay. I would say we will go for it, though I am scared to leave everyone behind. I really really appreciate all that was said. I will keep you posted. thanks again
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Especially on the water. Salaries are very low unless there is some industry in the area. Most jobs are low-paying service jobs for the tourist industry. I worked in sales and that's one of the few areas where one can make good money.

We have no state income tax and it is incredibly cheap to license cars here but other than that, it isn't cheaper. We have homesteading for residents who live her at least 6 mos. and 1 day a year and claim FL as their residence. There is a 3 percent cap on tax increases so those of us who bought when property prices were low pay about half the property taxes that others do.

FL seems to always rank low in school test scores but we are improving. We save on utilities because we almost never have to run our heat. We do run our A/C for the six months that it is hot and humid here but that is still less than my kids pay running their A/C in the summer and their heat in the winter, even accounting for size of homes and number of people in the house.

The Sarasota area is where the Red Tide is usually worst and the last couple of years, it has been bad. That's one reason that allergies can be bad here. There are things blooming or putting out pollen all year round, so we do have the potential for allergies. Mine bothered me in CO but not down here. I really feel so much better but I know that's not the case with everyone.

Love, Mikie
  10. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've lived in Central Florida my whole life I'm a native. The weather is great. I couldn't imagine living in the cold weather with Fibro. We have short winters here, but those few days get me down. We do have allot of rain which bothers me too. But I wouldn't live any where else.
    Florida has become a retirement comunity. Mostly older folks , living out there last years having fun in the sun.
    A few million regular families work to keep things nice for the older folks.
    I live close to a place called the Villages which is one of the fastest growing comunities in the whole U.S.
    they are building 23,000 homes near where I live right now.There are many thousands already built.
    Florida will be all cement before you know it.
    Some say its becoming allot like California.
    There are allot of jobs in this area if your into contruction, and resturaunt work.
    Our little county has not been happy with the growth , because most here are farmers and growers. They are taking over the rural comunity like wild fire.
    But if I were living were it snows , I'd move here too.
    I don't blame any body for wanting to live here,It is one of the best places to be.