need help gaining weight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Nov 23, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

im down to 95 pounds and im 5;5 i need to put some weight back on i look horrible ,i know when ive been in alot of pain i loose weight and thats most likley the cause
    please any suggustions even the steroids didnt make me gain!

thanks
    kara
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

im down to 95 pounds and im 5;5 i need to put some weight back on i look horrible ,i know when ive been in alot of pain i loose weight and thats most likley the cause
    please any suggustions even the steroids didnt make me gain!

thanks
    kara
  3. maleficent4310

maleficent4310 New Member

I know her Dr told her to drink Carnation instant breakfast and Ensur 6 times a day and to eat three times a day. I don't know if you appitite is better than hers. These drinks are full of fat, cal, and vitimans. I wish you the best of luck.
    God Bless,
    Lisa
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

I was where you are in 1999. I drank Ensure Plus between meals and it helped. I also started flax oil and adding olive oil to my dishes. I think the most important thing is to gain the weight in a healthy manner. My friend tried to get me to eat cheesecake but I wasn't about to put all that saturated fat and sugar in my body! You can also make fruit smoothies with lots of frozen fruit, then add protein power, flax oil, and soy milk to add calories and drink for dessert or snack. Best wishes.

kim
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Had the same problem all my life. The Ensure Plus is great, and the Breyers Ice cream, be sure you get the all natural one, its in the black container.

I just lost fifteen pounds, and I am fighting to get it back, I am your height and am down to 110 or 115 now from being bitten by a spider.

Sweet potatoes are good too, plus the are full of vitamin A.

Whole wheat pasta, bread, whole milk. Yogurt with the fruit, try for the most natural ones.

Sour cream, 'Daisy' is the best, its all natural.

Peanut butter and natural jelly sandwiches are great if like it.

Malts are high in fat too.

I don't worry about the fats, I just try to get my weight back up then I go back to eating very healthy!

If I think of anymore, I will let you know.

I always considered myself a 'freak' because I was always trying to gain weight and all my friends were trying to lose it!

I even put condenced milk in my coffee and tea instead of milk and sugar right now!

Good luck, and stay away from the steroids! A little fat won't hurt you now, but those steroids will get you in the long run.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks for the suggustions
    i have tried ensure in the past will try agin

shirl i love the dasiy sour cream we always have it
    i eat alot of braeds i love the land o lakes sweet cream spead
    i also eat alot of pasta i am always eating cookies and browines anything that might help my hdl was very low so im far from worried about to much fat
    the thing that i finf strange is the drs never seem concerned about it but im sure if i was over weight they would say something
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been treated the same way by the doctors, I even had them tell don't worry about your weight, thin people live longer!

I had three children, the most I weighed at 9 months pregnant was 110 pounds. None of the doctors got exicited!
    All three babies were small, but healthy.

It took till I was in my forty's to get to 125lbs, then along comes a spider and boom, I lost fifteen pounds!

I also like the Land of Lakes whipped butter, bread, but don't eat cookies. Not big on sweets at all.

I wish you luck gaining a litte weight back, in fact both of us need it!

My husband always tells me he wish he had my problem, he is always trying to lose weight. Its funny around here, I should be eating what he eats, and he what I eat! I eat out of a saucer, and he could eat out of a platter!

I know more about diets for losing weight because of him than most people that need to go on diets!

Shalom, Shirl

8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

A lot of wasting diseases have some parasitic and/or yeast associations. One of the things that happens is that you suffer with malnutrition even if you are eating properly, because your body is unable to absorb the nutrients.

Another problem that can exist is lack of minerals. When we don't have enough minerals it can become difficult to utilize the vitamins in foods or supplements. Stress is another possiblility....excess stress is known to both cause constipation and diarrhea.

These are just some suggestions that I hope will give you an idea of what to search for. Most dr.s do NOT recognize the problems that yeast, parasites, and malnutrition can cause. For this very reason, several of us on this board have elected to find integrative dr.s/naturopaths or even go out on our own and take OTC supplements.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  9. ali-may

ali-may New Member

There have been a couple of magazine articles recently about healthy weight gain - they suggest all of the foods mentioned here, plus adding avocado and low-fat cheese to your sandwiches. Bananas are also 100 calories each, which may help you. Potatoes are also good - only 40 calories each, but because they're a carb should help you put on weight.

You should increase your caloric intake by 500 calories. So that may mean adding 1 banana (100 cal), an avocado (380 cal), and an extra slice of wholemeal bread (70 cal) to your daily diet. This method should make you gain 2 pounds in 2 weeks. If adding 500 calories to your daily diet doesn't make you gain weight, it's recommended that you get checked out medically.

There's also a liver flush drink that I heard of which is also a weight gainer: put a lemon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and some water in a blender. Blend it up and drink it either all in one go for a liver flush, or divide it up into 3 and drink before each meal for weight gain. I haven't tried this, so don't know how it tastes.

Ali
  10. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

THIS IS NOT A PLUG FOR MY BUSSINESS....

Kara,
    I just wrote a book for patients who NEED to gain weight after Jaw surgery or trauma because they are on a liquid diet for 6 weeks. (The book isn't available for another few weeks)I would be glad to send you a few of the pages on "how to increase protein & calories" you can contact me thru my website www.zip-n-squeeze.com

Again this is NOT advertising, just trying to help!
    (You can see how we all go thru this facade of having energy, but in reality It's very hard to function!!)
    Susan