need help getting medications, can't afford

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yorkielove6, Feb 27, 2007.

1. yorkielove6

yorkielove6 New Member

Hi,
    I was on medicaid, and they were paying for my doctor's visits and medications. My daughter just turned 18, which now makes me no longer qualify. I filed for SSI but was denied, and now in the process of waiting for the reconsideration (hired a atty).
    I'm currently taking, valium, premarin, potassim, lasix, toprol, prevaid, celebrex....these all totaled would be around $600.00 a month, and I don't have that kind of money. Does anyone know where I can get precription help. My CFS is getting worse with the stress, and I'm afraid of what is going to happen if I just stop taking my medications....but what choice do I have?
    thanks
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

This country is amazing. We can't even help sick people.

Do you have a county hospital or free clinic near you?

There are usually clinics that charge a person based on their ability to pay; maybe you could be in a special program until you have a decision regarding your own SSI.

Did you earn enough credits working to apply for SSDI?

You can also ask your prescribing drs to give you sample meds until you have a better answer to the problem.

How about that Partners for Prescription Assistance I've seen on TV?

Ask everyone you know...and keep checking here, you'll get more help. Hang in there, ok?

We care,
    findmind
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

You can go to the websites of the manufacturers of your meds like Wyeth, Astra Zeneca (these will be the name brand not the generic)etc... and go to the Patient Assistance area. Most have programs for getting your meds free or very little cost.

Also try RX Outreach, there you can get meds for $20 or $30 for a 3 months supply.

I used both of these methods while my husband was still in school.[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2007]
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

This Medisicene {SP} Program is the one I use for my mom You can find it on line just search for the medisince program .com. They have been helping my mom for a few years and she gets some of her meds from them . YOu send in 4 dollarsa nd they will find the pharmicudical company taht makes you medsications adn will see if they have a patient assistance program to help you. there are many on line just check out on the adn find the one yo liek beset that is what I did.
    I hope that it will help you.
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  5. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

this amazes me In Australia we have the best scheme I think its similar in the UK we go to a dr and they bulk bill cost nothing and all my meds as I am on a pension cost under $5 each
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2007]
  6. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

But montel williams advertises a perscription drug plan can't remember what it is right now but I am sure you could look it up on his web sight.
    hope you find help soon.
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I can't remember which one is title 19 but if you were taken off of it because you child turned 19 and it's title 19 you can reaply for yourself and put yourself under medically needy. that is what i am on now. every three months i have to reapply because it goes by income and there might be a pay down once again depending on your income but on this program i pay 1 dollar for meds and usually 3 dollars for a co pay to my doctors. you so this through you department of human services. i hope that you might fall under this. it's been a god send to me.
  8. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Ellie5320

Just to clarify what we pay in the UK:

Under pension age it's a flat fee of about $14 for each item - no matter what drug has been prescribed or no matter what quantity is given.

After pension age all items are free.

When I hear what people have to go through in America and the prices they are expected to pay , well it's just awful.

I'm unemployed and struggling with money so to find a lot of money for meds would be devastating.
  9. MDS114

MDS114 New Member

I think the website Montel advertises is...
    www.pparx.org. Haven't been there, I don't know anyone who uses it, but it's worth a shot. Good luck
  10. yorkielove6

yorkielove6 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks all for your suggestions, this seems to be the ONLY place to get any help, all of you are the BEST and are in my prayers.
    I'm on the phone, and searching the internet for help, need my medications, and need them soon, running out quickly.
    I was able to get some samples from my doctor to hold me over, but NOT for all of medications...this is stressful.
    I will post here, and let you know how I manage to pull this out.
    I have a free clinic here, and that said they can help me, but I'm on a waiting list to get in, and was told it would take around 3 months...not going to help me immediately.
    I filed for SSI because I'm short 4 credits of work for regular disability. My condition is getting worse, especially due to all the finiancial stress, I also suffer from severe arthritis...worse part is, I'm only 44 years old, and not able to even get out of bed everyday.
    America needs to wake up and stop spending money on the war, and start helping people like me
    I was told at social services that they can't help me, and that I'm one of the millions that fall thru the cracks because I don't have a child under the age of 18, and I'm not 65. What's wrong with this country.
    Pat
  11. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

sorry what I really meant is that your system is similar to ours and if you were to come here or us go there we are covered an exchange thing I am not sure how to explain a bit of fog here