Need help getting rid of roaches.Any suggestions or tricks.Please!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by keke466, Aug 9, 2010.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

My sister moved into a house a couple of months ago and it had them so when I go over there I don't ever take in anything I'm gonna bring back out so I wouldn't take a chance on bringing any home and they don't ever come here. I work nights so they don't want to bother me. But now in the last few weeks I've seen a few here in my apt which is just driving me crazy. My neighbor doesn't have any so they didn't from there.

I've lived here almost 2yrs and had nothing. I've searched online and read that I can use borac acid and a few other things. I was wanting to know if any of you has ever had problems and how did you get rid of them and keep them from coming back? I'll try anything.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

By the way, roaches can get inside pocketbooks, packages, jackets that are put down, they can get in just about anything and that's a travel method.

I don't know if this will help, but it depends too on the area where you live. I lived in an area of Florida for several years and the type of large roaches had their nests outside in the ground and then would enter the house. So spraying the home killed what was in the home but didn't stop them--it was important to find the outside nest and treat it to kill them or treat the entire grounds right around the home.

When I was in California a long time ago, I was using a boric acid product to try to get them and treated outside the doors, and caulked windows and around doors to fill in gaps and holes. Roaches feed on roach feces, among other things, so keep those cleaned up and disinfected.

Here's an article below from Mother Earth News:

Get Rid of Cockroaches

By the MOTHER EARTH NEWS editors

Can you suggest a safe and effective way to get rid of cockroaches in my otherwise clean apartment?

New York, New York

Cockroaches are one of the oldest and most successful organisms on earth. They've been around some 350 million years and have survived several global catastrophes - including whatever killed the dinosaurs. Their evolutionary tenacity is directly attributable to their appetite: Roaches will eat any organic matter - from dried up wallpaper paste to fresh pizza crumbs. Our revulsion toward them seems to be as deeply ingrained as their ability to survive, and with good reason: They carry mites and disease, and their droppings rank second only to those of dust mites as a cause of asthma. Incidentally, asthma has recently been recognized as epidemic among inner-city children.

Cockroach complaints are common among New Yorkers because the underground conduits for trains, storm water and sewage, natural gas, fresh water and wiring of all types connect the city's apartment buildings. These subterranean networks also teem with several species of cockroach.

Some roaches prefer damp places, like bathrooms, and others like it dry. But all roaches are attracted by anything they find edible, so obsessive cleanliness will get you only so far. Roaches can survive, even thrive, on specks of leather that flake off your shoes and the dust that falls from natural-fiber clothes. When it comes to fighting roaches, the best offense is a strong defense: Caulk your home.

Get a $25 air-powered gun and use an air compressor ($300, or $50 a day to rent). Use 100% inorganic caulk; most brands are comprised of the same gypsum that goes into drywall board, and even cockroaches won't eat it. Avoid any brand that might contain a binder based on natural gum. You may find a caulk that contains boric acid, a mild but effective cockroach toxin.

Then, seal yourself in. Fill every crack in the walls and ceiling, between adjoining walls, walls and ceiling and floor, and around doors and windows. Also, plug up every hole carrying wires and plumbing. Remove and caulk wiring entrances of wall and ceiling electric outlets, switches and light fixtures, TV and computer cables and telephone outlets. Stuff roach- (and mouse-) repelling steel wool into cavities too large to caulk, and tack pieces of aluminum flashing or thin plywood over large holes and caulk around them. Install fine screen in a caulking gasket behind the outlet fixture of all air vents. If the apartment gets stale from insufficient air exchange, crack a bedroom window or two at the top, but screen the opening and seal up every crack inside the window casing, and blow boric acid into the cavities all around as follows.

To kill the roaches that still manage to squeeze in, get some powdered boric acid and a good dustblower (you can get preloaded plastic roach-dusters at hardware stores). Be sure the dust contains nothing but boric acid and perhaps a desiccant to keep it dry. Empty a prefilled duster bellows to no more than 2/3 full. (To keep dust in the bellows fine and airborne, include a few marbles, small rocks, washers or pennies.) Puff gently to finely coat surfaces at roach entry points. You'll also need to cover some spots that are hard for you to reach, but easy for them: Drill holes down the centers and at the corners of backs and closed floors of cabinets and puff powder in. Apply the boric acid powder so thinly that it is barely visible. Wipe it up and reapply frequently to keep it from absorbing moisture and losing effectiveness. The powder must be bone-dry so the roaches pick it up on their feet, then ingest it and die. Never apply boric acid onto countertops or other exposed surfaces, especially those used to prepare food. Any visible residues should be wiped off with a damp cloth.

Boric Acid.

Boric acid is a white, inorganic powder chemically derived from water and boron, which is mined from vast mineral deposits in the ground and used in consumer products such as laundry additives, toothpaste and mouthwash. Deadly to cockroaches, boric acid is low in toxicity to people and pets, and is even used as an eyewash. It is also odorless and contains no volatile solvents. Boric acid has been a favorite weapon against roaches for more than a century, and is one of the most effective cockroach control agents ever developed, provided that it is used correctly.

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2010]
  3. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Fry them up in a frying pan for all of them to see and I bet they'll never come back when they smell other roaches burning away in a buttered frying pan. Then put them on some buttered bread, slap a piece of Kraft cheese in it, and eat the sandwhich in front of them for all to see....!!!!! Now why are you having an "ewwwwww" face? You stated you'd try anything, LOL!

Okay, all joking aside, try spraying 2 parts water mixed with 1 part vinegar, around the areas, corners, etc. Clean under stoves and refrigerators. Bugs do hate Vinegar, so spraying after cleaning the areas is good.

Hope this helps!
    Fight4Acure :)

[This Message was Edited on 08/11/2010]
  4. brillianceplus

brillianceplus New Member

We have lived in Texas for more than 20 years. We've lived roach free for 18 years using this inexpensive, low labor method.

Take 1 cup of boric acid powder and 1/4 cup of white granulated sugar.
    Stir these two ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl. add cold water, a little at a time, until it is the consistency of caulk or thick mashed potatoes. Form the paste into balls about the diameter of a nickle to a quarter. Drop these in all corners and along the perimeter of rooms, closets, kitchen cupboards, drawers, under stoves, under refrigerators, freezers, etc. Every 6 months to a year put these boric acid balls out again.

You should be roach free within a couple of months. You may not see a roach again for years. A few roaches may slip into the house someway, they may be killed or you might find one dying. You can use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to slow one down and kill it. The alcohol spray also works great on mosquito and flies, if they get into your house. Both of these treatments are cheap and nontoxic to humans.

If you have indoor pets, it may be a problem if they eat the boric acid-sugar balls. You would have to figure someway to keep them from the treatment.

[<i>This Message was Edited on 10/03/2010</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2010]
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

When I lived in Florida many years ago roaches were a common problem that people told me I had to live with....not true...

I bought a roach powder, put some in an envelope, cut the tip off and used this to get in the small cracks of baseboards, cabinets, counters etc. Then I caulked and sealed the cracks and didn't have a problem after this.

You can always buy the roach baits, slip them under your fridge etc....and it helps too.

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

They now have a paste that does not have to be sprayed. They tuck it in behind places, the roaches eat it, since they also eat each other it is a quick fix as they are gone in no time. No smell to the paste either.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I take Boric Acid and peanut butter, make a paste with it, and put it in caps from milk bottles or any other caps you have handy.

I put it behind everything in the house, from kitchen to bedrooms/liberary. I have a library of over 10000 books, can't afford roaches!

It works like a charm, the peanut butter draws them and the boric acid kills them.

I have not had a roach (except for those big outdoor kind now and then) for a good 30 years in my house! But I change the caps with fresh peanut butter and boric acid about every six months.

Just be sure your pets can't get to it. I do not believe its not harmful to animals.

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl