NEED HELP How long to wait before seeing doc? rib pain, fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buffyr, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. buffyr

    buffyr New Member

    Hurt everywhere, It started while away for holidays. Have had overall achiness and sharp pains in rib/breast/heart area. This has been going on for 5 days now. Also, extreme stomach upset last 3 days. Hate to go in to doctor, don't want ro be labeled hypochondriac. I already have that on my file thanks to the doctor when all this started who was too stupid to figure this out, he finally decided it was all in my head and I was hypo! Ha! went to Mayo as a last ditch attempt at sanity and was dignosed promptly. Anyone out there know how long I should wait before going in. I took Skelaxen on New Years Eve all day, it was my birthday and I just couldn't stand having all that pain that day, next day woke up with stomach symptoms, maybe from the meds? I usually don't take anything at all. I have history already of costonchondritis, fibrocystic breast, irritable bowel, etc... Does this just sound like a flare that I should try to ride out? I am currently without a doc and if I go to the clinic that has all my records I'll be stuck with hypochondriac doctor. I had a good doctor but she moved. If anyone knows a good doc in the Minneapolis or Cambridge area, I wood love to hear it. Just not sure how long I can cope with this every day if it doesn't start improving. I really get worried when it is sharp chest pains, even though I've had quite a few ECGs and Holter test twice. Just something you can't ignore about pain in the heart area even if you know it probably isn't something serious, you can't completely convince yourself. Can anyone out there help???
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2007]
  2. kat-E

    kat-E New Member

    just to be safe. Even if the doc labels you as a hypo, it is better to know you are okay. Please go to the doc soon.

    Many Blessings
  3. Catseye

    Catseye Member

    Could part of it be a gallbladder attack, maybe? If the pain is just below the breast on the right side, you could have aggravated the gallbladder. Definitely have to ask the doc but also go real easy on food for awhile like only veggies, rice, beans, fish and fruit. No junk at all and lots of water. That should ease your symptoms while you figure out what's wrong.

    good luck,

  4. BobinGermany

    BobinGermany New Member


    Like many before me have said, since it is in the heart area you really should be seen in order to rule out a possible problem with your heart! As far as them thinking you are a hypo, as long as they check you out who cares what they think. And... going easy on food also sounds like a super idea until you find out what it is.

    God Bless,
  5. buffyr

    buffyr New Member

    I went in to the doctor today. He did ekg and xrays. All looks normal. Told me to try taking aleve and see how it goes. Haven't tried that painkiller yet, most send my stomache into an uproar, but I'll give it a shot. Saw a new doctor and he was okay, so maybe I'll keep going to him. He told me not to worry, if I have chest pain, just come in and get it checked. So that's good, he didn't treat me like a hypo. Thanks everyone for your responses!!!
  6. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    I have Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility syndrome and there is a condition called Slipping Ribs Syndrome that is associated with it. The connective tissue can get small tears or stretch and allow the rib to move out of place, putting pressure on the intercostal nerves. It is excrutiating and can feel like a gallbladder attack, cause stomach and chest pain, and make it almost impossible to sleep.

    It's always worst for me this time of year because I have to shovel snow. I do have a chiropractor who very gently puts the ribs back in place, but others I've seen have made the condition worse if they don't understand how little it takes to move the ribs.

    Ehlers-Danlos also has a strong association with fibromyalgia. Mine was diagnosed by a rheumatologist.

  7. buffyr

    buffyr New Member

    Jan, Is that the same as Loose Joint Syndrome? I was told I have that by a Cardiologist at Mayo. Just wondering? Some of these things have so many different names it gets very confusing!!
  8. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    Buffy, it does cause loose joints. There are several types of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and some do affect the heart and blood vessels because of defective cartilage formation.

    If you do a search on Google you'll be able to read about the different types. I haven't done the DNA testing yet, but my sister and I were both diagnosed with Type III (hypermobility) independently so we feel confident that's our type. I do have some trouble with blood vessels, too.

    Some people with this are "double jointed" but for others it's not as noticeable...we just suffer from a lot of pain and fibromyalgia symptoms and don't know why.

  9. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    First of all so sorry your birthday was so painful and many happy returns anyway.

    If you are having stomach symptoms you also could be experiencing esophageal spasms that could be calmed by( I think they use nitro for that too).

    I am glad you went to doc as never fool with chest pain.

    I also like many here do get a lot of rib, breast and chest pains with the dx. I find the best thing at times is just to lie in a hot bath with Epsom salts for this. You could have chondritus too.

    Also always try a gasex for chest pains with stomach symptoms. People have been hospitalized and put on morphine for gas pains they can hurt a great deal more than people think.

    Love Annie cromwell

[ advertisement ]