Need Help - Issues w/ doctor diagnoses and insurance woes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Severe, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Severe

Severe New Member

Hello there, my name is Chuck and I am a student. My mother has fibromyalgia, and I may have it as well. I am currently attempting to write an argument paper about fibromyalgia, more specifically the problems with doctors that won't diagnose it (for example doctors that think it's all in your head) and also problems with insurance coverage in regards to that. If anyone can share any information that would be of help I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone can relate a story about having a hard time either with getting properly diagnosed, or having a hard time with getting insurance coverage, that would be great. If anyone knows of any websites that I could find some more argument-specific information in regards to these issues, that would be even better. Can anyone out there help me?? Thank you very much.
  2. Severe

Severe New Member

Hello there, my name is Chuck and I am a student. My mother has fibromyalgia, and I may have it as well. I am currently attempting to write an argument paper about fibromyalgia, more specifically the problems with doctors that won't diagnose it (for example doctors that think it's all in your head) and also problems with insurance coverage in regards to that. If anyone can share any information that would be of help I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone can relate a story about having a hard time either with getting properly diagnosed, or having a hard time with getting insurance coverage, that would be great. If anyone knows of any websites that I could find some more argument-specific information in regards to these issues, that would be even better. Can anyone out there help me?? Thank you very much.
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

There are several articles on the home page for this site, or you could go to Google and type in "Fibromyalgia" and find more information than you can possibly use. You will probably be going for your doctorate by the time you read everything that is available. Good luck.
    Kathryn
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Chuck, just read through past posts here.....they are full of bad doc stories.....
    There is a right and a wrong way to get a diagnosis. I know. Time and again---I tried---the wrong way.
    It is imperative, if you do not want to exhaust yourself, and your pocket book, not to blindly Doctor shop.
    This means randomly choosing a Doctor, and praying against all odds, that when you present him with your case history, that he won't raise an eyebrow and say "there is no such thing as fibromyalgia, it's all in your head." Repeat this step 20 times. Now try to convince your insurers to continue to pick up these tabs.

The right way--referrals from other fm patients, referrals from members of support groups, listings of physicians who credit themselves as fibro and cfs practitioners.

There in one swoop we have gotten rid of the majority of the medical profession, the unbelievers, or those who do not want high maintenance patients. Now we have radically narrowed the list to those who have an agenda, to those who care--about the very thing we need assistance with.
    Now, we phone ahead, and interview the receptionist, prior to ever making an appointment. Ask all those questions that if answered positively, would be your idea of a doctor, suited to your needs. Find out how many fibro/cfs patients they currently treat, etc.
    It works! I have got one hell of a Doctor--finally!