Need help-Mirapex in Canada

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suewoo, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

Does anyone out there live in BC, Canada? I am waiting to see if pharmacare will cover the drug I want to try for FM. It is called Mirapex, has anyone tried this drug and or been covered for it? Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

If you are more specific in your title, you may get more responses.

Maybe...Does Canadian Health cover Mirapex?

Canadians taking Mirapex? Ins. Cover it?

Might help. Hope you get some answers. Do you know you can do this by simply hitting edit and re-writing your title? I would look at your bio to see if you are new, but the board is acting SO weird and is SO slow, I just don't want to chance sitting here for many minutes before it tells me I can't get in.

Enough....(-:

Sue
  3. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

thanks for the advice I will try it, Sue
  4. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Do you have an extended plan? My sister-in-law takes mirapex for restless legs (has had excellent results), and her extended plan covers the costs, no questions asked. You could ask your pharmacist to put the prescription through and you'll be able to see if pharmacare has contributed...?

Take care.

Bev

PS I also live in B.C.
  5. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Hi, well I am on week 3 of the mirapex and am feeling pretty good, but I am cautiously optomistic as I was told it will take a full 8 weeks to take effect. The worst side effect so far which I was told will go away as the dose increases is nausea. To combate this Dr. recommends prilosec, zantac, or nexium. Those are usa names. I am doing the Dr. Holman protocol for mirapex use . He was the first one to suggest it's use and present a paper on it before the college of rheumatology. Portions of this paper and the study results and protocal can be found be going to google and typing in Andrew J Holman. No quotations or anything -the first entry up is the one you want to go to.
    I have a friend who participated in Dr. Holmans orginal study and at this point she continues to take it and says she has completely forgotten she has FM. I sure hope it works as well for me and you. Good luck
  6. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

Thanks a lot for all the info cosmoo, do you live in the States or Canada? I will look up Andrew J Holman. I don't think my extended medical covered mine as it would have cost me $43 for 10 days worth. I hope to be able to try it.
  7. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Suewoo,
    I live just across the border from you in WA state. Ususally folks from the states head your way to get cheaper drugs but I'd be happy to see what it costs here for you if you can give me the mg. I buy from costco and it only costs me my copay of 10.00. Of course the health care systems here are much different.Say are you guys fogged in and chilly up there like we are here right now?
    Cosmoo
  8. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I am new on this board and just wanted to let you know that I have used Mirapex for 3 years now for restless leg problems. It has worked great for that, but hasn't helped any on the rest of the pain or weakness that we all suffer with. I only take it once at bedtime unless I have had a very bad day and then I take a dose at my evening meal and then again at bedtime. I live in the USA, so hope you can get it through pharmacare. It really helps you to get to sleep at night. Sniffles
  9. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

We aren't fogged in here and it was sunny today but yes, a bit chilly, I wore my winter jacket even though I usually get over heated easily. I think our health care systems are extremely different, especially now that parmacare has decided to limit and decline coverage of certain drugs.
    Sniffles, thank you for letting me know how you do on Mirapex, my doc wanted me to start on a low dose 3x a day and see how I do from there.
    Do either of you suffer from any kind of side effects?
    Sue
  10. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

The only side effect I am struggling with right now is nausea. I am hanging in there though because I was told as i build the dose that will go away. Taking the prilosec at breakfast and dinner and taing the mirapex with some food (right before bed) has helped. I am going to guess that like everything the results are very indivdual. Dr. Holmans protocal is to start on 0.5mg tablets and increase by 1/2 tablet every week until you get to 4 tablets. This takes 8 weeks but as I sayed I am only on my 3rd. I'll keep you posted on how it's working. Let me know if you try it how you do .
    Take care
    Cosmoo
  11. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

Hey did you send your foggy cold weather up here? It's freezing here! I am calling the doc today to see if they has been any answer from pharmacare.Are you on any other meds? Do you ever have no feeling in your hands or feet and feel like there is no strength, like you can't grasp things, that is what I have now, it is even hard to type. I find that when I am about to get my period , I feel worse, does that happen to you?
    Take care, Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2005]
  12. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Whoops-sorry about the weather. No I didn't send it but I can tell you I have a lot of layers of clothes on today. When it's damp (fog) and cold is when my fibro is at it's worst. Yes, things do seem a bit worse during my period, especially my memory its like double brain fog!
    Currently mirapex is the only med I am taking, I just completed a forced (by my body) withdrawl from all the drugs I had been on for several years. It was an ugly 6 month withdrawl processI am certain I know what hell is now and it does exist!!
    After doing a sleep study and discovering I had RSL I agreed to try the mirapex since it is an excellant drug for that and my rhumy suggested trying it for the fibro based on Holmans work (he is in Kent ,WA) since I can no longer take the pain meds and antidepressants I was on. Those drugs had been very helpful but are no longer an option. I vowed not to take any more drugs but have ended up trying this. I am hoping for good results. I am still not sleeping well, better but not all the way thru the night yet so I am trying to be patient and give this the full 8 weeks before I make a final decision.
    I have not had to many problems with strength,it seems more like a miss judgement I think I have a hold of something and it just drops but it doesn't really feel weak or anything-another fibro anomily I guess.
    Trying to prepare for Thanksgiving which is next Thursday here. My neighbor across the street is from Canada and she alsways has 2, one in October -canadian one and one in November-usa one. I can only manage one Turkey thank you!
    Stay in touch as you can-don't stress out those hands typing.
    cosmoo
  13. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi, I dont live in Canada, however I do take Mirapex, and it works great for me! I have been on it for about 3 months now. I have Cigna PPO insurance and I pay $50 a month for the Mirapex.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2005]
  14. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

I just called the dr and the answer was no, I figured it would be. now i am researching some of the drugs they listed as 'drugs that should be tried before mirapex', they are levodopa(atamet) and Bromocriptine (parlodel) I put up a post to ask if anyone else has tried those, they are also used to treat Parkinsons. I hope your turkey dinner goes well, do you have a big family get together? Thanks for the info, Sue
  15. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Well sorry to hear that your Dr. said no. I have not tried any other parkinsons drug. From the u.s. side this is the only one that has been studied for Fibro. I hope they will reconsider or you will have good sucess with one of the others. It is such a slow process trying out drugs to find something that will allow us to lead decent lives. It seems crazy I have to wait 8 weeks to find out if this is going to really help-that's two months out of my life-grrr. But no choice so I just does.
    Thanksgiving is manageble here, my sister and her family, 5 total and one surrogate relative. I would love lots of people but I just can't manage it and our house isn't really big enough for to many more.
    Take care
    Cosmoo

[ advertisement ]