Need Help, on Purchase of Sea Salt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 28, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Have been reading a lot of back post on sea salt and how it helps with allergies/sinus etc..

My question is what kind do you purchase I am somewhat confused..(nothing unusal for me)

I was at the grocery today and bought some McCormick, Sea Salt Grinder..Are all sea salts the same? Is this one I can use for my sinuses?

The only info on the bottle is that it does not contain iodine..Also what I have is white and from reading some old post they mentioned it was brown...

Are all sea salts the same?

Thanks for any info..
    greatgran
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Original Himalayan Crystal Salt. It contains lots of trace minerals. For lots of info type in Google and you will find lots of good info. There is a book published on the uses of this particular salt. I use it for everything.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

usually at a health store. Though I got a box from the grocers, one of the big ones w/ a large health section. don't think the brand matters, as long as it's natural and cultivated from a sea.

jeanne
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Sea salt

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sea salt, obtained by evaporation of sea water, is a salt used as an ingredient in cooking and in products such as cosmetics. Its mineral content gives it a different taste from table salt, which is mostly sodium chloride that is either purified from sea salt or made from rock salt (halite), a mineral that is dug from mines. Table salt also sometimes contains additives, such as iodides (as a dietary supplement) and various anticaking agents. Various areas of the world produce specialized sea salt, including Maine, France, Ireland, and Cape Cod. One common use of sea salt is in premium potato chips. Sea salt is generally more expensive than table salt.

In several countries, including China and India, sea salt was the sole source of salt. Regulating the sales of sea salt was highly profitable for the governments. About 110 BC, Emperor Han Wu Di of China started the monopoly of the salt trade, making salt piracy a crime worthy of capital punishment. In 1930, the British government of India imposed a salt tax, which led to the famous Salt Satyagraha from March 12 to April 5 when Mohandas Gandhi led thousands of people to the sea to collect their own salt rather than pay the salt tax.

Sea salt is thought by some to be a healthier alternative to table salt, since it lacks artificial chemicals used in processing. Despite the iodine content of seawater, however, sea salt, as it is typically manufactured, does not contain as much of the essential nutrient iodine as does iodized table salt. Therefore, those whose diet does not contain a large proportion of seafood (such as ocean fish and shellfish, which tend to concentrate iodine in their bodies) should use at least some iodized table salt as well as sea salt.

Its possible health benefits notwithstanding, sea salt is often portrayed as being superior to ordinary table salt by gourmets. Well known sea salts include fleur de sel (literally "flower of salt" in French) and Hawaiian sea salt. The former is considered by many to be the pinnacle of sea salts, having a near-mythic aura as a result of its long history of production, its price, the large amounts of labor required to harvest it, and the small region from which it is produced. Supposedly formed when winds blow in just the right way over the summer sea off the coast of the village of Guerande in the province of Brittany, fleur de sel is harvested manually by workers who comb off only the top layer, the lightest and "purest", of the evaporate in a tradition that has not changed for centuries. Hawaiian salt is notable for its distinctive red-brown color, derived from the presence of the halophile micro-algae Dunaliella Salina, which synthesises the orangish beta-carotene in large quantities.
  5. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Some sea salts have a pinkish cast. Greatgran, I think your
    sea salt is fine. I know there are many varieties and textures. I think some of it is a marketing ploy. My mother
    got a sea salt at the 99 cent store (with iodine)and uses
    it on food and it helped her grow her eyebrows. I guess
    the iodine and trace minerals are what did it. I use mine
    to make a nasal saline, for food, and add it to water to
    help sinus congestion.

Dreamharp
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Since I have the McCormick sea salt grinder I will use it..The taste is fine, to me it taste like table salt.

I just want the one that will help with my sinuses..But it doesn't say that it has any nutrients,just says it does not have iodine..I brought the McCormick web sight up to find out it didn't mention any just that it doesn't have iodine...

Thanks to each of you for your replies..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

We do not have a health food store in my town. Can the celtic sea salt be purchased at wal-mart? That is the only large food store we have..

When I found the McCormick sea salt i was thrilled because I had been looking for sea salt didn't know there were different kinds until I started reading the past post...

Thanks to all for your help,
    greatgran
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

stock coarse sea salt. Anne
  9. pamsue

pamsue New Member

Your friends that answered are correct.

You can get it in health food stores, there is a grocery store here that sells just health food called Feelrite Mart.

I can also get it at Wegmans a local grocery store here in their health section.

pamsue
  10. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

greatgran, glad to see you're interested in the sea salt. I Read your post re the allergies, sinusitis.

How the sea salt works, it's loaded with minerals. You need to order either the celtic sea salt or the Himalayan sea salt, mentioned in an above post. Most sea salts you get from the grocery store are the refined kind. I've used the celtic sea salt with good results, and have ordered the HImalayan from Mercola's site. It's like whole crystals, and you just put it in a grinder and use for cooking. If you are using it direct on your food, it may be kind of strong on your stomach at first. You can also put a very small amount in water with some liquid minerals and make your own electrolyte mixture.

So what has happened, great gran, from my understanding,
    we have a barrier around our cells that allows the transport of minerals and vitamins into our body. For some reason, for some of us, that barrier has become closed off, so when you are eating healthy or taking vitamins, the necessary nutrients are not being transported over this cell barrier.

This allows our bodies to become sicker and sicker, resulting in allergies, etc.

Taking the sea salt, with extra minerals, lots of them, you cannot get enough, may help to reverse the process somewhat. This helps restore that cell barrier to the way it should be, allowing the vitamins and minerals to cross over and be utilized in our body.

Because of our current farming practices that have depleted our soils of necessary minerals, our foods are very devoid of the necessary nutrients to keep our bodies healthy. Add to this the fact that most of us are not eating healthy anyways, and this just further accelerates the process of the domino effect of our failing health.

I've also had good luck with taking bee pollen, you can get the natural whole kind from a local bee keeper pretty reasonably. Just sprinkle it on your salads or food, quite tasty, actually, just keep in the frig for storage.

I've used the bee pollen for my dogs, too, that developed severe allergies after their annual vaccinations, cleared it up when the vets remedies would not.

With the bee pollen, though, VERY Important to only try one little bit of it at first, just in case you are allergic to it, then gradually add more, very gradually, till your system gets used to it.

Also, great gran, NAET or BIOSET is an excellent way to restore your health and reverse the process of allergic reactions and sinusitis.

My nasal passages used to be so closed off, and also my airway, that I was hardly getting any oxygen at all, even with my mouth open. I was pasty white all the time.

After the NAET, my nasal passages opened up and now I can breathe freely. That was over five years ago. You can go to the naet site and hopefully find a practitioner in your area. The treatment does sound kind of bizarre, but it does work for most people with great results. In my area we have tons of practitioners offering this service.

It's a great way to reverse the ill effects of your body, fast, kind of like reprogramming your circuits, similar to the way a computer is reprogrammed.

The NAET, combined with some nutrition adjustments, adding in some sea salt (electrolytes) and lots of minerals, would be a good way to improve your allergies and sinusitis.

Sbilek
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2006]