Need Help Regarding Bad Reflux

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Apr 29, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

After being fine for a few years, I'm now experiencing terrible reflux again!

I don't want to go back on Prilosec. What can I do? What kind of foods should I eat and what should I avoid?

I really need help this time! Thanks!!!!

BxGirl
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My husband has that and mostly he avoids green peppers and eating too close to bedtime. I notice his problem is worse now that he gained his weight back that he had lost.

The main thing seems to be not to lay down after you eat. You are supposed to sit upright for several hours. My husband takes Protonix for his reflux.

Also laying too flat in bed can cause problems too. He sleeps on two pillows now. I like the solid foam pillows myself.

Can't think of other foods to avoid, I think alcohol is one and onions another. I believe that different people find different things that bother them.

Good luck with getting a handle on this.

Hugs,
    Cat
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Start taking a GOOD QUALITY Probiotic and omit sugar 100%. Should clear up right quick.
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I have probiotics here at home.

I'm wondering why sugar would cause bad reflux? Does anyone know? I'm just curious.

I don't want to go to the doctor for this because I'm afraid he'll want to prescribe Prilosec or something like it. I refuse to take those meds.

Can wheat also cause reflux?

BxGirl
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Why don't you want to use Prilosec? My doctor tells me there are very few side effects and the danger of damage to your esophagus is a good reason to take it.

I recently had a endoscopy that showed I had Gastric Reflux, and I never knew I had it. There were cellular changes in the esophagus due to stomach acid.

I had a major scare for a few days waiting to see if I had "Barretts Esophagus" which is a precancerous condition caused by gastric reflux. Sometimes you have this condition and no symptoms.

I was told to stay on Prevacid forever and will have endoscopies every two years.

GERD
    Recurrent acid reflux, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease-or GERD-is a chronic digestive disorder that causes heartburn like pain as a result of stomach acid frequently backing up into the esophagus and throat. While occasional episodes of heartburn do not indicate the onset of GERD, people who progress from the infrequent bout of heartburn to suffering symptoms twice a week or more may have GERD. Other warning signs of GERD include heartburn in conjunction with difficulty swallowing food and upper abdominal pain (dyspepsia). The pain usually occurs immediately below the ribs or breastbone. Only a doctor can diagnose GERD, so, if you have persistent heartburn or think you may have GERD, see your doctor. GERD also can be associated with chronic or recurrent nighttime coughing. Left untreated over a prolonged period of time, GERD can result in chronic inflammation or ulcers in the esophagus and even precancerous conditions.

Below is some info I found on diet suggestions:

Heartburn Foods That Can Aggravate Heartburn

peppermint and spearmint, including foods containing peppermint or spearmint extracts
    chocolate
    fatty foods, including oily foods and sauces, cheese, butter, margarine, bacon, sausage, and heavily processed meats
    fried foods such as French fries, fried chicken, fried mozzarella, egg rolls, doughnuts, onion rings, and potato chips
    foods with high air content, such as carbonated beverages (alcoholic and nonalcoholic), whipped cream, and meringues

Foods That Stimulate Stomach Acid Production

coffee (including decaf)
    alcohol
    tomatoes and tomato based foods such as pasta sauces and tomato juice
    citrus foods and juices
    garlic and foods containing garlic
    onion and foods containing onion
    spicy foods

Medications That Can Aggravate Heartburn

Commonly Prescribed Medications
    Commonly prescribed medications such as birth control pills, antihistamines, antispasmodics, heart medications, and asthma medications can, over time, decrease the strength of the lower esophageal sphincter. This is the muscle that prevents stomach acid from backing up into the esophagus and throat, a condition known as acid reflux. When this muscle becomes weakened, stomach acid reflux can occur more easily.

Anti-Inflammatory Medicines
    Anti-inflammatory medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil®), and naproxen (Aleve®) can irritate the stomach lining and lead to heartburn. Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) does not cause stomach irritation and thus does not promote heartburn, so it is often recommended for people who are prone to heartburn. However, if you are currently taking anti-inflammatory medications prescribed by your doctor, consult him or her before making any changes to your medication regimen.

Heartburn Home Remedies

Home Remedies
    Some people find relief from heartburn by drinking milk, as it may ease some of the discomfort of mild heartburn. Drink a small amount of nonfat or skim milk every one to two hours to wash acid back down into the stomach. If milk is unavailable, use small amounts of water.

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2005]
  6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have terrible acid reflux. Nothing I've tried gets rid of it and the only thing that really helps me is Aciphex. When I try to go off it, I get the heartburn back. It really is a nasty condition. I wish I could get rid of it for good.
  7. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

You guys are so great! You all answered me right away!

The reason I won't go back on Prilosec is because it gets rid of ALL bacteria in the gut. We need the good bacteria but Prilosec gets rid of it all. I would rather do things naturally than with another med.

At one time I was on so many meds I couldn't see straight! I don't want a "band-aid" - I want to get rid of the underlying symptoms.

I am going to try very hard to stay away from sugar and see what happens. I'm also going to start taking my Probiotic again. I think wheat also causes reflux in me. I need to stay away from that too.

I'll let you know how I'm doing.

BxGirl
  8. YvonneM

YvonneM New Member

Aciphex works well, no side effects...well worth it.
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

My daughter has GERD. She takes Zantac. The prescription strength you get from a doctor, not the OTC stuff. It is a liquid.

She says it works well for her.

Good luck,
    Michelle
  10. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I feel much better this morning. I'm going to change my eating habits now and hopefully it will help.

BxGirl
  11. revlcb

revlcb New Member

for years.

Just heard about taking a swig of cider vinegar for heartburn/acid reflux. A couple I know swear by it.
  12. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Hanginginthere - that's an interesting way to get rid of reflux. I will try it. I haven't found my probiotics yet - I know they're somewhere! I woke up this morning feeling fine. As long as I watch what I eat, maybe I'll be okay.

We all walk a fine line between feeling good and feeling crummy. Remember the days when we could eat what we want and do what we want and not have to worry?

BxGirl
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

I was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago, and was on Prilosec forever and a day. I started worrying about the consequences of constantly decreasing the acid levels in my stomach, since acid is required to digest food properly, so I took myself off the Prilosec. I felt better off it than on it!

Lately though, I've had a return of the reflux problem, probably stress related, followed by diet disasters (read: chocolate and sugar. sigh). Occasionally I take an over the counter Zantac or a swig of Mylanta, but I prefer half a teaspoon of baking SODA in 4-6 ounces of water. That helps immediately, and helps adjust the acid-base balance in my body.

I prefer methods of help that help the body to balance itself and heal itself, when at all possible.

I also avoid certain foods. Donuts KILL me, as does anything too high in fat. I avoid onions completely. My gallbladder was removed years ago, and I had to adjust to that, too. Eating while in a stressful or noisy situation will trigger it also.

Hope this helps!

Beth.
  14. earn

earn New Member

The stomach has to have some acid--and I read that baking soda will neut too much acid if taken too often.I take it some time-but try not to take it too often. To me, it makes sense that any antiacids would not be good to take every day. I am not an expert on this--but I take it for a while, then stop for a while. Doctors say take the antiacids every day---but what do they know?? Earn
  15. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

What about taking Organic Red Wine Vinegar? I like that taste!

Also, do you take it before meals?

BxGirl
  16. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi BxGirl....I used to have terrible refulx. Still some time. I had surgery many years ago to correct hietal hernia. Really didnt help. The surgery was awful. Don't do it if at all possible. The ant-acids were the only way I could lay down. I started with zantac,then changed to Prilosec, then when I found out I had pre cancerous cells , the doctor changed me to Nexium,which I think has healed the cells. Will find out at the next endoscopy soon.
    ThenI get a letter saying the insurance won't pay for it twice a day, to expensive (!) So he switches me to Protonix, now another letter from insurance co. So I take the protonix in the morning and otc Prilosec at night. In between if I need it I take Pepcid. I'm a little ole white haired lady so I have other meds. too.LOL
    A walking drug store! Good luck, Mary
  17. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I was so good tonight! I re-heated mashed potatoes for my DH. They looked so good, but I know I'd get bad reflux if I ate them! So I didn't. I'm trying real hard to be "good".

I went to see my psychiatrist today. His secretary keeps a jar of candy on her counter - always those little Tootsie Rolls. I also didn't take one! I'm trying to be good.

What's the point of complaining if I don't do what I should to get better?

BxGirl
  18. cricket2

cricket2 New Member

Prilosec and Nexium are good to "turn off" the receptors that are responsible for creating an excess amount of gastric juices. I have taken these drugs for the acid reflux that is of a chronic nature.

What I find is really good, though, is the extra strength Gaviscon tablets. You chew them, and they are really foamy and coat the stomach. The neutralize the overabundance of acid in the stomach.

I had a bad episode once, and I actually fainted at the ER because of it. The doctor gave me the extra strength Gaviscon tablet. I found a miracle drug!
  19. tandy

tandy New Member

this good info back up top.

I was searching Gerd,...and found this post most helpful.
    Maybe it will help other newbies :)
  20. jess

jess New Member

Hi I have had gerd for over 30 years. Unfortunately I am on prilosec. I had barretts and was told I must stay on this. I have tried to get off but then my endo always shows inflamation. Somehow when I'm on the prilosec the Barretts goes away and so does the inflamation. Anyhow when I tried to get off of it I took DGL before meals. I also tried Potters Acidosis and then digest rc. You would need to google these. I had read that they worked for many people.They are all natural and I wished they had worked for me. anyhow, the reason apple cidar vinegar works for some people is because most people have too little acid not too much. I have not tried this because I am a coward. Iam just afraid I will worsen what I already have. Also, Gerd is usually the result of weak diaphragm muscle. Good luck. Jess