Need help, seeing old pain doc after 6 months

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Nov 30, 2005.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

Well, my boyfriend gave me my Xmas gift early, $300 to see my old pain doc. I'm a bit nervous though which is wierd because she is one of 2 docs who have been supportive. I recently have been seeing my family doc who is the other supportive doc but she is very hesitant and limited on the pain meds she can prescribe me and I am constantly running out due to not having enough for pain level.

Anyway, after such a long time away from my pain doc I don't even know how to begin w/her next week. Do I go in and breakdown? That is what my emotions want to do because I'm a mess. Do I just start at square one with all I've been through? My experience w/the pain doc inbetween who was a nightmare? Any suggestions???

I also want to suggest to her the possibility of a pain patch. I'm not sure if I should wait until I've reestablished w/her or not for that. Maybe I'll wait and see. I am on a constant roller coaster w/my pain and my meds. Never enough, too much pain. Never lasting 30 days. It's a nightmare. I feel like the Israelites going around the mountain for 40 yrs.

Anyway, any advice would be great. This doc treats my body and spirit which is wonderful. I am very excited and am hoping for the best.

Thanks,
    Shawn
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm great at breaking down at doctors offices!! I've learned to write down everything I want to tell them.. going over it a few times in my head a few times before I go and making little notes to myself with topics I want to bring up.. for example,
    1. pain killers
    2. new headaches
    3. back pain
    you get the drift.. just a one word trigger to help you remember all you want to bring up.. I'll be hoping it goes well..
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

that you have to wonder how to approach your doctor so he/she will help you with pain relief! You should be able to go in and say how you feel, what you've done, and have that person help you feel better. We don't worry and wonder how to act when we have a sinus infection, etc. How about a broken leg? Do you wonder how to emotionally act so you can get help? Nope.

I surely will keep you in my thoughts as you see this doctor again. I'm glad there is a good relationsip already on which to build. I do hope you will have the wisdom to say what needs to be said and that the doc will be able to determine how best to help you...and that it will work!

Hang in there!

Sue