Need Help Starting a Support Group in Colorado

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mermaid47, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mermaid47

mermaid47 New Member

Hello

I was hoping toget some information on how to start a Fibro Support group from someone who has started one from the ground up. I have a very supportive husband and a daughter who is an RN and wants to help also. All advice will be much appreciated, we all need the support of those who understand what we go through on a daily basis. I live in Colorado Springs Colorado.

J
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is slipping over to page two. If it were me, I would change the title of this post. Most people probably think it's an announcement for a support group in CO and pass it by. What you are asking is how to start a support group. There may be some here who have done this.

Have you checked to see whether one already exists? Colo. Spgs. is a good sized place. I would have though one already would exist. In any case, good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

There have been a couple of groups here in the Springs over the years, but nothing that was formally organized. Right now the only group I know of meets for lunch once a month.

I would check with a social worker at one of the hospitals and see if they would be willing to help you get started. I have attended the Brain Injury Support Group at Penrose and they're quite an active group. They meet at 6pm for pizza once a month in the hospital cafeteria and then the meeting starts at 7pm. If you feed people you're a lot more likely to keep coming!

The libraries will also provide meeting space. The most successful groups I know of in town have monthly newsletters and sometimes websites to keep members in touch and informed, even if they can't always attend the meetings.

Have you ever met Dr. Timothy Hall? He is a physiatrist in town who treats fibromyalgia and might also be a good contact for starting up a group. Some of the rheumatologists might also be willing to let you put out flyers. I would even try Wild Oats, Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage since so many with fibromyalgia are on special diets.

The National Spinal Cord Injury Association has a good page on their website about how to start a support group. You may get some ideas from that:

http://www.spinalcord.org/html/factsheets/startsupgr.php

Hope you can get something going this fall - we all start hurting once the weather gets cooler and it's a good time to drum up interest!

Jan