need help W/Insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jstbrznby, Mar 29, 2003.

1. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

HI, I have SSI which makes me elidgable for medicare. However my prescriptions are prohibitive. Does anyone know anything about getting a supplemental insurance? Hope there is something out there and sure appreciate hearing from you. HUGs to You ALL........Pam
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are a couple of the ten Medigap plans which offer partial coverage, but my collegues and I have run these every which way we can, and by the time you pay the extra cost of the premiums and your co-insurance (your part of the cost of the meds) you will break even at best. Also, there are annual caps on this benefit.

If you are considering a Medigap plan, ask if it includes an Rx discount card. Blue Cross Blue Shield here offers this free of charge and so does United American. These aren't always great discounts, but it's better than nothing.

If you qualify, ask your doc about free meds with the pharmaceutical companies' plans. If you qualify for SSI, there's a good chance you will qualify for these programs.

If there is a Medicare HMO in your area, it may offer a very limited Rx benefit. HMO's are not as prevalent as they once were for Medicare and they place a lot of restrictions on you, just like regular HMO's. Check it out carefully before joining one.

Medigap plans for people on SSD are not usually guaranteed issue like for regular people on SS and the premiums can be about three times what a 65 year old person would pay.

Love, Mikie
  3. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

Have you tried Canadian Drugs? I recently got my 1st order from CanDrug and saved 60% of what I spend here. I know it's not a supplement or anything but it works and they told me they weren't going away any time soon. That had been my biggest fear.

If this idea shouldn't be interjected, my apologies but I'll save 60% any time. By the way, my aged folks fronted me the money for my 30 day supply because I couldn't seem to save it up myself. Isn't that wonderful? It made me feel bad to take money from them (again) but when the package came in the mail I felt pretty darned good.

Love
    Pam
  4. twinkles

twinkles New Member

ASK YOUR PHARMACIST FOR THE NAME AND PHONE # OF THE DRUG COMPANY OR YOU CAN LOOK IT UP ON HE WEB. A LOT OF COMPANIES HAVE INDIVIDUAL PROGRAMS OR THEY BELONG TO THE SHARE CARD. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SWITCH TO A DRUG THAT IS COVERED UNDER ONE OF THESE PROGRAMS. THEY WILL SEND YOU A PACKET OF INFORMATION TO FILL OUT. FILL OUT THE FORM AS BEST AS YOU CAN REFLECTING WHAT THEIR CRITERIA IS.I NOW HAVE MEDICAL BENEFITS TO GET MY WIFES MEDS; HOWEVER BEFORE THIS,THOSE PROGRAMS EITHER GAVE ME FREE EDS(OPIADS) OR $15/MO.
    HOPE THIS GIVES YOU SOME HELP
  5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

I just tried the EHealth pharmacy card but it only saved me $10 on a $126.00 perscription. SO, I will definetly try going to the source, Thanks as allways. HUGS......PAM