Need help w/low fat diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

My DH had emergency gallbladder surgery on Thurs. Surgeon said gb was highly inflammed with 3 gall stones. He was also told he had fatty deposits on his liver (from diet - not alcohol). He must get on a low fat diet and change his way of eating . . . we live in Louisiana and food is a huge part of our social life. But, if he doesn't change his eating habits, his liver will pay the price - not good.

Any help you could suggest would be greatly appreciated. I do cook and try not to overdo with fats. But, I need suggestions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - a book or some diet that has worked for you.

One problem - I'll be cooking to help my husband lose weight, but I am very thin and need to gain some weight. I cannot afford to lose weight w/him.

Long post, sorry.

Hugs,
    Sharon
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Hello Sharon
    iv'e been on a low fat diet for along time!! but of course it's a new lifestyle of eating that one has to adapt to!! not fun sometimes!....................................I buy alot of fruits and veggies, only whole grain breads and cereals..............99% fat free lunchmeat like turkey etc
    use alot of skim milk, eggs fat free yoguart ,fat free sour cream! you can mix the dry ranch dressing packets with the ff sour cream and it actually tastes like ranch dressing!!...........................................................................alot of soups are low in fat to just read the Lables!!...........................................fish, is another low fat meat! wow i never eat out anymore unless it's salad (miss thoes cheeseburgers!!) also if you get the big baker potatoes and cook them in the microwave, add alittle low fat margrine and ff sour cream it will make a great simple supper! i also get the velveta lite cheese it only has 3 grams of fat per 1oz serving!..................................I hope this helps you and hubby.................have you tried those ensure shakes for yourself?? they are very good for you i hear!! P.S i guess i should tell you that i also had gallbladder surgery about 14 years ago and thats what sent me to a ff diet!!......................This diet also helps with the fibromyaligia and ibs symptoms!!..................wow im the long winded one hear!!............................................regards sydney
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2006]
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

to cook things in...butter lightly do it...fresh fruit, veggies...100% whole weat...no soda....just good old common sense..

try the south beach diet and they have a cookbook...

jodie
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

y'all for the info. I kinda know instinctively what to do, but hubby is not that informed. I'll look at getting a book on the SB diet.

DH usually comes home for lunch . . . but sometimes he goes out to eat. He had a big hamburger and a plate of fried onion rings for lunch on Wed (the day of his attack).
    But, for dinner I had fixed fish, baked potatoes and salad w/olive oil and vinegar. Right now, he's scared to eat anything w/o asking me 1st. I just need to educate him . . . you'd think after 40 yrs he would have gotten it, but that comfort food is just hard to resist.

Think I'll try the Boost or the Insure.

Thanks again.

Hugs,
    Sharon
  5. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

Let me suggest BOOST! It tastes SO much better than the enusre and you can half freeze it so that it is like ice cream if you want. I actually like the strawberry flavor, believe it or not!

Voice
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

with him....it is healthy....just supplement w/your boost drink...and eat more protein....peanut butter and nuts

maybe a dub question..but can you go weight lifting w/free weights? help build muscle...this is good healthy weight not fat....

jodie
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

is one of my favorites. I eat several different kinds here. They are sold in individual packs, in a larger bag, which makes it convenient to cook the amount desired. I enjoy Salmon, Mahi-Mahi, Talipia, and Tuna. I put extra virgin olive oil, and a little pat of butter on it and bake in the oven, along with a side or two, preferably veg/fruit. Another thing is it doesn't take long to bake. Not to mention, it's something easy to prepare when I feel so tired. Another advantage is that if you have waited until the last min. you can place the pieces in water or run under cold water to thaw quickly.

Of course, the other suggestions here are great also, especially if one doesn't eat fish.

Take care,

BlueSky555
  8. Nikki

Nikki Member

for all the helpful suggestions. I just love this board.

Sharon
  9. Bev9359

Bev9359 New Member

Hi
    I am a cardiac patient and have to eat a predominately non-fat diet.
    Try www.fatfree.com web site. Tons of good low/fat-free recipes.

I mainly eat fresh fruit and veggies with an occasional chicken tender diced in a salad, or salmon. No red meat.

Best of luck. It's hard to give up the good stuff for a card board diet, but there are lots of good substitutes.

Through the process of many eliminations, the following are a few tasty choices. (FF- Fat free / LF - Low fat)

Cream cheese: Philadelphia FF
    Smart Squeeze: margarine substitute (tasty/no fat/can't
    saute or broil) Good on potatoes/toast/veggies,etc.
    Cotage Cheese: Knudsen FF
    Sour Cream: Naturally Yours (black & white cow pattern)FF
    Mayo: Kraft FF or Best Foods LF
    Bologna: Oscar Mayer FF
    Ham Albertson's brand 98% FF (sandwich slices)
    Healty Choice Deli type meats LF
    Cheeses: Kraft Assorted varieties LF/FF
    Cool Whip FF

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Goatmom
  10. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

Hopefully they did not remove his gallbladder.

If they did not, he needs to be careful to avoid gallstones in future.

Please look into natural gallbladder and liver flush protocols to help keep his gallbladder stone-free.