NEED HELP Whats the best med youve been rx'd for daytime fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Sep 6, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have read about many different meds for daytime sleepiness such as Provigil, and some using Adderall, the ADD medication.

I know there are many more out there but I would like to hear your expieriences with these types of medications, and which ones worked best for you.

I have an appointment with my Rheumatologist tomorrow and I need to address this.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  2. hawk8934

hawk8934 New Member

I use ultram,it gets red of the pain and the fog it might make you a little jumping HAWK!!!
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I probably should have mentioned that I am only looking for meds that are in the same catagory as Provigil...ones used for narcolepsy etc.

I do not need them for sleep...I just need them for the extreme daytime sleepiness.

The current med I am on, Zanaflex, helps me sleep but obviously must not get me into stage 4 sleep because I am constantly fatigued during the day.
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

5. marmayer

marmayer Member

The one drug that has made the most difference in the way I feel overall is xyrem. I think that I sleep so well during the night that the fatigue is lifted. I also have little or no pain since on xyrem. I know some here have had bad side-effects but I have had none and have been on it about 7 months.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

That was one of the drugs I was going to ask my rheumy about.

It seems more people are having better results with Xyrem than with Provigil. I want to go into this appointment educated on these type of meds.

Thanks,
    Stephanie
  7. A couple of other meds you may read about here or elsewhere used fairly frequently, aren't *made* for the purpose of treating fatigue, but, are used a lot for MS or fibro-induced fatigue, such as Adderall, Straterra, and less commonly now, Ritalin--those are all used to treat attention deficit disorder, (ADD) and ADHD....

I'd love to be on one of these, I've been in bed 80%+ of the day everyday for many months straight now, but-- and this is the caution part...my doctor actually remembered I'm on a heart med for tachycardia, bum side of that is I can't try any of the "anti-fatigue" drugs, since they can raise heart rate/Blood pressure, and many meds trigger my palpitations (steroids--ICK!)

Good luck & hope you can get something* to help with fatigue,......my docs been trying so many things this past yr (diet, supplements, Cortef, Prednisone, Decadron, etc etc)

Laura aka AintasgoodAsIOncewas
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

bumping again
  9. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

my doctor gave me Folgard OS. It's a prescribed vitamin, I have noticed a difference with this.
    Also, I can't take my nighttime meds too late or I can't shake them off in the morning. Then I tired all the next day.
  10. Daisys

Daisys Member

Xyrem gives me a good night's sleep and also a boost in alertness in the morning. They call it the dawn effect. It's more than just a rested feeling from getting enough sleep. There's a couple of theories about that, and all I know is I'm glad to be alert all day without napping.

When I first started taking it, at the low starter dose, I only got 3 hours of sleep but was amazed to be so very alert all the next day. I was more alert than I had been for many years, even when I slept for 12~ hours.

Now I'm getting used to taking it (3 months) and it seems more natural now, both the going to sleep and waking up.

Feel free to ask questions, I check the board most days.
  11. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

This is not an RX but it helps me tremendously. It's Ultra Inflamax by Metagenics. If I forget to take it in the morning I can feel it by 2 pm because I will need a nap!
    K
  12. TTKS

TTKS New Member

I have been on xyrem for about 9 months (so has my sister)
    we both have had a great response to it. Before I started taking Xyrem I had been to atleast a dozen doctors looking for some kind of help but there was none. I even went to a doctor that had written books on the subject and he was the least helpful. One was from Cleveland clinic no make that two from cleveland clinic both no help. AS I saw each dr. I told them my sleep was very broken I would wake up roll over , wake up roll over, over and over again all night long. I told them the pain was horrible they gave me medicine but nothing helped. then by chance I called about a clinical study on xyrem. the first Dr. I saw said to me " I AM GOING TO HELP YOU". So I did the clinical study and ended getting the placebo. When the study ended I was offered Xyrem but was to scared to try it. After a couple of months I went back to see the same Dr. and he encouraged me to try it. I did and after 2 weeks of being on it my pain was gradually lessening. I have not had to take anything for my pain since. I do still have fatigue but it is not as bad as it was (75% improvement). Xyrem does take some time adjusting to and I would start at the lowest dose possible. I owe that Dr. soooo much because he cared and was open and honest and he believed what I was saying was true and real. I consider myself very lucky that
    I kept searching for an answer that some told me was not there. I feel I won the battle for now. sorry to go on but I think so many people with fibro stop looking for that answer and settle for what one dr. might be telling them.
    I know that Xyrem is not for everyone but for me it is.

Good luck
  13. Daisys

Daisys Member

I just read a post from you (on another thread) that you have anxiety?

This seems like a good place to post something I wanted to say in response to that. If you search for Julie (is free!) or Xyrem Saved My Life you'll find her experience. She had anxiety on xyrem and her doctor put her on something to counteract it.

I think anxiety is one of the reasons people stop taking it. Something to pay attention to, and ask for specific help from your doctor.

Hope you find this information helpful. :)
  14. pj13

pj13 New Member

Because of insurance regulations, I had to try several different meds in the ADD ADHD category. All of them hyped me up and increased my fibrofog, (Adderall was the worst!!!) and after a few days I 'd have to cut the dose back or not take one daily dose to settle down enough to sleep AT NIGHT. FINALLY, after trying three stipulated meds first, the insurance approved me for Provigil. I also take Lunesta for sleep, and though I rarely sleep more than 5-6 hours at night Once the Provigil was approved it's the only thing that has helped. Starting with one Provigil imn the morning, I didn't see much improvement, but my doctor changed the Provigil frequency to one in the AM, and a second one anywhere between 10AM and 2 PM, depending on if we had to go somewhere later at nigth. But usually take second dose at 10 or 11 pm. Feel Soo much better on it. Whatever you decide
    Hope it helps,
    pj
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

I have never run across any med that helps with fatigue. In fact, every med that I take just increases my fatigue!!

Janet
  16. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I will check that out.

I have yet to have anxiety that stems from medication. Quite a few of the meds Im on, you are suppose to be weary if you have an anxiety disorder. I have had no problems due to the meds.

The anxiety I get is usually triggered by nothing, and it is not the severe anxiety I once got.

Thanks.