Need help with a panic attack question PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 25, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Yesterday I fought with an impending panic attack all day. I don't get the full fledged panic attacks, but have that sense of impending doom and the fight or flight response of quick, shallow breathing, fast heartbeat and that tingly feeling you get in your neck.

I have Xanax for this and usually 1/2 of a 25mg tablet will straighten me right out, but yesterday I took a half and it made me slightly sleepy but the feeling came back fairly soon and so I took another half yesterday afternoon and it did the same.

I was afraid to take more though. I am under a bit of stress right now and this causes my irregular heartbeat to cause these symptoms, so maybe it is not a panic attack at all.

I would love some advise if you have any as to what to do, besides a shot of tequila, which I considered, but rejected because of the Xanax.

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. karen_dean

karen_dean New Member

I live almost on a daily bases with these symptoms.. most cases more severe..it's really scary and I do understand what the uncontrolled fear feels like. As to answer your question about taking more of your xanax..it's rather a "low dose"..I'm not a Dr. but I would most certainly ask him if you could up the dosage.

I take "ativan" 1mg. every 8 hrs. I use to take xanax but found out after a few years my body needed something stronger, as xanax does not last in the system as long.

I sure hope you are feeling better, there is nothing worse than an uncontrolled fear of what you are going through, but I do understand.

Sending you a "warm & gentle hug"

Blessings

~~~*Karen*~~~
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

for the fast response. It is still with me today :-(

The dosage I take is not 25mg, but .25mg (a quarter of a milligram). Trouble is I have 20 pills, the instructions are not to take more than 1 every other day.

That in itself is not the problem. The problem is if I run out too quickly, the doc will not give me more because he says it is addictive and does not want me to take it every day.

The other problem is if I take more than 1 pill today, I am afraid it might make me sleepy. I am at work and have to drive to a funeral later, so I can't afford to be asleep right now!

I think I will take 1 and see if it will help in the short run. Maybe after the funeral is over it will resolve itself. The real problem is that my husband is mad at me. He was FURIOUS on Wednesday night and still mad as a wet hen when he got home yesterday.

The anticipation of what he was going to be like when he got home yesterday afternoon was the cause of all of this, I know.

I had some generic tranquilizers to take when this irregular heartbeat was diagnosed (popular tranq, cannot for the life of me think of the name right now, it has been around for a long time, someone will know!) but at 1mg (I think) even a quarter of a tablet would knock me out.

The Xanax does a good job at this baby dose of not making me fall asleep sitting up, but just relaxes me.

Thanks again for being so quick, I feel an urgency right now obviously.

By the way, if I need it to work quick, I dissolve it under my tongue like Mikie said. It is a bit bitter, but works quicker, like the sublingual, I would think.

Thanks!
    Sonya
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I knew I would. I had generic Valium.

:)
  5. gottagetbetter

gottagetbetter New Member

I tend to do the natural path approach. Here are some things I have found to work:

Rescue Remedy(health food store) couple drops under the tongue and you can put some in water and then sip on it.

L-Theanine(somes in gum forms and capsule) great to relax

Relaxing bath

Hope this helps!
    ~P
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I took a whole .25mg tablet, under the tongue and it is easing up for now.

After the funeral, I have to go to the grocery store, then tonight my daughter has a friend coming to stay overnight and tomorrow the 3 of us are going to Barnes and Noble, then I have company coming at 1:30. Some time after that I will have to get the friend back where she belongs.

The funeral is for the husband of a lady at my church that is very dear to me. The friend is her granddaughter. I went to her house Wednesday night as soon as I heard about her husband to make sure she was okay.

Her family was there, so she was doing okay. Her son has 3 children, 2 boys and one girl. My daughter was with me and they all hit it off famously and the mother told me at the visitation last night that they wanted Emily to come over this weekend before they leave for home.

Since we have company coming on Saturday from out of town (grandparents), I suggested the sleepover at our house. The mother is okay with that and the little girl is thrilled, but the youngest brother was sad that he could not come too, but any way, the mother and I are going to work out the details today after the funeral.

I love you all, thanks for coming to my aid so quickly. I am leaving here at 10 am Eastern time to go to the funeral, so I appreciate being able to get some advise before I have to sign off.

Sonya
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I'm sorry you have to deal with these stinking panic attacks.I have it too, and I'm on a regular dosage of Xanax, .50mg. twice a day.

Your sissy doctor who says you musn't take it more than one every other day is not helping you. You may want to consider going to to a shrink who is willing to allow you to have some relief when you need it, without judging you on whether you're an addict or not.

I was told that when you have panic attacks the need for some type of drug is not consider an addiction. You can become dependant, but there shouldn't be any stigma about your medical need for regulation of your chemicals.

When you are on such a fine line with the panic attacks that they come whenever you are under stress, then in my opinion you need daily control. It is much harder to calm yourself with Xanax when you only take it sporadically.

It all depends on how much you're willing to tolerate living in fear. How well can you handle it? I would rather die than go through that all the time. I need daily control, so I take it, I don't care if other people think I'm an addict. Let them live like that, I refuse.
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am with you on the daily thing. I would not live like this every day either. It is awful. I think once I get over this rough spot, I will be okay.

If not, it it on the better living thru chemistry!!! And who cares who does not like it? I am the one living in dread, right?

I hope that this too shall pass.

Sonya
  9. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

I get panic attacks and my anxiety level can get off the roof. I suggest you get your Dr to send you to a pyshc dr.

My general practitioner had given me valuim but it did not work for me. So I asked them to refer me to a pysch Dr. She immediatly recognized that my anxiety was very high and that the panic attacks were aggravating my fibro. I now take Xanax 1mg three times per day. Now, I don't always take them everyday but it is nice to know they are there if needed.

I have no side affects from them but they do help with the panic attacks and relax me when I need calming.

Peaceful mind and body to all!
  10. turquoise

turquoise Member

This kind of ties in with the food allergy post earlier. Inhalant allergies, especially ragweed, which is starting most places now will provoke panic attacks in people sensitive to it despite being on medication that normally keeps them somewhat at bay. I can count on having problems during the height of tree and weed season. Inhalant allergy can also cause irregular heart beat, flushing, and just about anything else you can imagine. Try keeping track of the pollen count and see if there is a connection.

Certain foods will also cross-react with pollen. During ragweed season if is important to stay away from foods in the squash family, bananas,milk and eggs.

11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Patti, that makes me smile to know you are my sister in Christ. I love Him with all my heart for what He has done for me.

To all, I am better today. I slept until 8 and have the 2 girls (posted about it above) who are acting like angels. No problems so far.

I hope that the stress of all of this is going away now, but I guess I will know on Monday. If I start to need the Xanax more, I will have to find someone to prescribe more.

I took the full .25mg tablet and it made me a bit sleepy, but I was still in control to drive, etc. I was fine the rest of the day.

I love you all for helping. You are a blessing to me daily,
    Sonya
  12. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I'm glad you feel better now. I've lived in a household where you never know what kind of rage is coming next. It's horrible.

I wanted to back up the person (forgive my bad memory) who suggested Rescue Remedy. It's a combination of 5 of the Bach Flower Remedies, natural flower essences that help turn around negative or harmful emotions. You might find a website that sells them and read about them. That by itself is really fun. I always end up diagnosing everyone I know. It really works! I've put it on wounds, taken it for panic and fear, and used it before I go to the dentist to calm me and reduce the pain. I even considered soaking my ex-husband in it, but didn't think he was worth the cost of gallons of the stuff.

Anyway, whatever works for you is what you should do. Here's a hug (((o)))!

Francie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2005]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been experimenting with minerals to help stop the mis- and over-firing neurons which can produce anxiety and panic attacks. If all my cardio tests are normal, I think the pressure I've been feeling in my chest is a form of panic attack.

I've been taking 1/4 tsp. of sea salt with some magnesium, potassium, and calcium supplement. I'm not usre it matter how much or what kind of supplenments. I think if we can give the body the raw materials it needs, it can take and can make what it needs to help with electrical activity in our bodies.

I have had more energy and have felt much calmer. My energy isn't the nervous kind. It's just there to tap into if I need it. I've been sleeping better and when I wake up, after my Klonopin wears off, I no longer wake to racing brain complete with melodies playing in my mind.

There are some mineral salts on the market and I will continue to check them out. I can't tolerate the electrolyte drinks. They make me sick. In the meantime, this is helping me, but it's only been three days.

I did get up at 6:00 this morning, shower, do my hair and makeup, and got my car to the dealership for an oil change and 15K service. I was there 2 1/2 hours. I cam home, answered some e-mails, and just got back from eating lunch out.

For the last month and a half, I've been in a horrible fatigue flare with the CFIDS. I'm still not hopping with energy, but I'm better. Only time will tell whether this regimen continues to help me.

Love, Mikie
  14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

to all of you who so kindly came to my aid. Today is Sunday and things seem to be back on an even keel for me. I have been fine since Friday morning even with all the activity.

I was on the go from Friday morning until after church today with some breaks, so I was tired some, but no panic attacks.

I had a small episode earlier with not being able to catch my breath (also from irregular heartbeat - PVCs) but am fine now.

I read in my bed after lunch (who cares if "they" say only use the bed for sleep and sex, I LOVE my bed!) and a nap and soon it will be time for dinner and bed.

Thanks for all the time and energy from everyone to post to me. I love you all, you know.

Sonya
  15. thomasina

thomasina New Member

1 is Klonopin
    2nd is Lorazapam...even benadryl can sometimes help.

thommie
  16. gongee

gongee New Member

Hey Sonya
    I too have panic attacks, and they are horrible. I use to have them 3 -5 time a day, but thanks to Xanax I still have some anxiety but full blown panic attacks are not as frequent. I do take .50 mg 5 times a day of Xanax- every day(the doctor said I could take up to 4 mg a day if needed, but I haven't). I was very concerned of becoming addicted, but I was more concerned about trying to live as close to a normal life as possible. When I talked to my PCP about being scared to take the medication, his response was "If you had diabetes or heart problems would you take your medicine? There is no difference." From that point on, I decided to take the Xanax and have been for the past 5 years.
    Good luck to you. Sheila
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2005]
  17. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

and like you, usually a half of the .25 will smooth me out too, but I have noticed that when my hormones are out of wack, I have to take more. Right before, during and after my period. I have had to take one whole and a half pill on those days. Which is a lot ofr me.