need help with CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kiwi1, Aug 30, 2003.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 New Member

Hi I am a mother of two small children ages 6 & 8 and have been struggling with chronic fatigue for 4 years with little help. I have been put on anti-depressants which help with the sleep but not the fatigue. I also went to a Natural Healing Clinic and they want to put me on a whack of herbs/supplements along with a very strict diet which includes no bread, pasta, white four, white rice, sugar, red meat, dairy products, pork, ham, sausage. Has anybody tried a diet like this and it has given some relief?? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help Kiwi 1.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

(I tried to post before but lost it -- sorry if this is a duplicate.)

I have a 7 y.o. and have been fighting CFS for several years -- the last 3 being the worst. I am on 50 mg/day Zoloft (down from 150 last year), and have been working w/an alternative clinic for the last 18 months and am now doing much better (see Zoloft drop!). The clinic's theory is that since people like us are so sensitive to change, changes need to be slow -- no more than one thing (new supplement, etc.) at a time...to gauge the reaction. This seems like a sound philosophy to me, and following it helps me recognize how my body is adjusting to each new thing.

Although my diet has not undergone drastic changes, I will give you my husband's experience w/going on the Atkins diet as a cautionary tale. Cutting out all the carbs for him -- ugh! He went from a laid-back, easygoing guy, to a hair-trigger-tempered maniac. Those first three or four days were just horrible to live with (and whenever he 'fell off' the wagon and resumed the diet were the same). He had wildly fluctuating energy levels -- even fell asleep in the middle of the day, which he could never do before if he tried. Can you believe, one afternoon, fighting sleep, he had the nerve to say to me, "You don't know what tired is, you've never been THIS tired before..." After the settle-in period, he did manage to do fine, lost some weight, even totally lost the reflux problem he'd had.

I know for me, my energy levels, which can still be low if I'm not careful, do not fluctuate so drastically if I keep the glycemic level low, since I tend to have a major drop about an hour after a high-glycemic-level meal.
  3. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

OR OTHERS HAD "THE ANSWERS". BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE ONE OF THE MAJOR CHALLENGES WITH THESE DD'S..... THERE ARE MANY APPROACHES THAT SEEM TO HELP SOME BUT NOT OTHERS... I CAN ONLY FORWARD MY EXPERIENCES. FOR ME , MAJOR DIET CHANGES , HERBS , & SUPPLEMENTS HAVE NOT HELPED MUCH. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT APPROACH WOULD NOT HELP YOU. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT A LOT OF DRS. ORIGINALLY RX ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. THEY DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THE " DEPRESSION " IS CAUSED BY THE ILLNESS...... NOT VISA/VERSA.... & DEFINITELY DON'T FEEL ALONE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN FIGHTING CFIDS/CFS FOR X # OF YEARS WITH LITTLE HELP , MANY OF US HERE HAVE HAD & ARE HAVING THAT EXPERIENCE. THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE ! THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE , TRAINING , & KNOWLEDGE THAN I , HERE . BE PATIENT........ THEY WILL GIVE YOU GOOD ADVICE WHEN THEY CAN. IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE TIME FOR THEY ARE FIGHTING THE SAME S**T YOU ARE...... PLEASE EXCUSE ME.... I PREFER TO BE MORE POSITIVE. BUT RIGHT NOW I'M FIGHTING BRAIN FOG & THE ONLY DR. IN MY AREA THAT HAD THE "GONADS" TO MAKE AN OFFICIAL DX FOR CFIDS & RELATED DD'S. I CAN'T SEEM TO MAKE HIM UNDERSTAND THAT THE OTHER "MIRACLE" CURES THAT DIDN'T WORK , HAVE PUSHED ME TO MY FINANCIAL EDGE. I JUST DON'T SEE HOW I CAN PAY FOR HIS LATEST "MIRACLE" CURE. BOTTOM LINE... NEVER GIVE UP !!!!! TAKE CARE & BLESSINGS !!!!! BILLCAMO. P.S. HOPEFULLY MY SOMEWHAT DISJOINTED RESPONSE WILL ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO RESPOND......
  4. angeldust

angeldust New Member

Hallo!

Was put on a similar restrictive diet - at first I saw some improvement. But as time went on I lost alot of weight, started getting really weak,depressed and more tired - for me it was unsustainable. It does work for others - though might depend on whether a loss of weight would be beneficial or not. Why not give it a try for a month or too, but keep an open mind.
  5. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I went on many restrictive diets (anti-candida, anti-allergies, rotation diets, and more). In the end I just gave up, I've found that the amount of physical and emotional energy it takes to stay on these diets is more than any benefit I might have gotten from them.
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Sometimes the stress of trying to stay on all these diets and do the special cooking can negate any positive effects they might have. However, it is not that difficult, once you get used to it, to stay away from white flour, sugar and white rice. Those foods have had all the nutrients taken out of them anyhow. You (and your kids) would probably be better off with whole grain flours and brown rice anyways.

Whatever diet works for one of us does not necessarily work for others. Personally, I feel better if I stay away from gluten. But it is just too hard to do all the time because of the energy involved in cooking that way.

Do you have the energy to do this diet? And, as someone mentioned, trying more than one change at a time can be very confusing because if you feel better (or worse) you won't know why. One thing at a time is best.

Good luck! Pepper