Need help with finding a good eating plan. new to FMS.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Zonnie67, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Zonnie67

Zonnie67 New Member

Hello all,
    I was recently diag with FMS and am not doing to well at the this time. My problem is I am putting my weight that I lost the first of the year back on. It just seems that for me to exercise like I did before really wears me out now. I have read on here about Atkins and Zone. Which ones have helped you all? I also have IBS(constipation part). I need also any advice for dealing with this DD. My husband is trying to understand and for that I am grateful. Another question I have is this. At present I do not work (I volunteer). I would like to go back to work again, but I don't know if I can return to my chosen field(medical assistant), I was thinking of going for my RN, but don't know if I have the vigor to keep up with that. Can a person get disability if they are not presently working? I worked before from 1985-1996.
    Well any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way I am 35 with one teenager.
    Take care
    Zondra
  2. Zonnie67

Zonnie67 New Member

Hello all,
    I was recently diag with FMS and am not doing to well at the this time. My problem is I am putting my weight that I lost the first of the year back on. It just seems that for me to exercise like I did before really wears me out now. I have read on here about Atkins and Zone. Which ones have helped you all? I also have IBS(constipation part). I need also any advice for dealing with this DD. My husband is trying to understand and for that I am grateful. Another question I have is this. At present I do not work (I volunteer). I would like to go back to work again, but I don't know if I can return to my chosen field(medical assistant), I was thinking of going for my RN, but don't know if I have the vigor to keep up with that. Can a person get disability if they are not presently working? I worked before from 1985-1996.
    Well any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way I am 35 with one teenager.
    Take care
    Zondra
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

Welcome to the board. For diet advice I suggest you have a look at a string started by Lana's post that is entitled "Desperately need diet support". There are lots of interesting posts there.It is still on the first page.

In my opinion, we have to stay away from sugar - the reasons why are explained by others in that string. Many on this board have had success with Atkins. Personally, I prefer Suzanne Somers because there is a little more variety and you can eat some fruit.

Over my 10 yrs of illness, I think I felt best when I stayed away from gluten entirely. I am trying to do that again. It is difficult but worth it for the difference in how I feel.

I don't know where you live but in Canada you can get Canada Pension Disability even if you are not presently working provided you have paid into the plan for a certain number of years.

I'm sure others will come along to offer you more info.

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2002]
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been trying to edit my message but it won't work! Lana's thread is "Desperately need diet support" and it is only a few down from this thread.

Good luck. Pepper
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Welcome to the board. I also have FMS and chronic fatigue. Right now I'm recovering from a hysterectomy. As far as exercise goes, I'm sure you can't do what you did before. But you can still exercise. You just have to take it slowly. I find that if I don't exercise, my muscles get more sore and stiff. I walk on a treadmill. At first you can start slowly, and then build up a little bit. Just moving your body is a good thing. You might want to talk to your doctor about what type of exercise is appropriate for you (everybody is different). You can also do mild stretching exercises. I got my stretching exercises from a physical therapist. I had to go to a few of them before I found someone who could really help me. Also, some gyms have trainers who know about fibromyalgia and can guide you. Since I just had surgery, I can't exercise and boy, the pain has been terrible! I stretch as much as I can, but it's still difficult.

About working - I don't know exactly what a medical assistant does. I work part-time as a legal secretary. I sit a lot, but also get to walk around a bit. The variety helps me to keep my muscles from tightening up. Can you work part-time? I know if I work too many hours I pay for it later. I also volunteer, but have had to cut back on that too. If I get too stressed out it wreaks havoc on my body!

Good luck - you'll find a lot of very caring people here.

Annette2