Need help with my spouse with CFS!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzan0626, Jul 7, 2010.

1. suzan0626

suzan0626 New Member

We have been married for a little over a year. He has CFS that causes ugly mood swings, loss of short term memory and sometime he says very mean things. He acuses me of things I never did and can go from laughing to very angry. I need help understanding him before I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! Hes a very good man but hes so different now. Someone help me pls!
  2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

Hi suzan it sounds like there is more going on than just the cfs. My husband has MS but he is also Bi-Polar and has to be on meds to keep him stabalized. He sounds just like your husband when the meds arent working. If you can get him to maybe go see a psychiatrist it would probably help. I dont know how open he would be to that but I and my husbands dr. finally convinced him to see a psychiatrist because of his severe mood swings. Hope this helps
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Suzan - You aren't describing CFS at all. It sounds to me like your husband could possibly be suffering with Bi-Polar disorder. It is a form of depression where a person goes from high highs to low lows. He should be reevaluated by his doctor.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

There are common chronic infections that can cause severe mood swings, such as Bartonella.

see pages 24-26 of this paper....

Unfortunately, Dr's do not think of the CAUSE of illness...they care about giving it a name and then say there is no known cause...then their job is done!!!

Take a look at this link which describes bartonella personalities...

Bartonella can be found alone, but it is often found in people also infected with Borrelia burgdorferi (lyme).

Take a look at his overall symptoms and read this booklet which has a great symptom list...
  5. suzan0626

suzan0626 New Member

Thank u so much for answering me. This is the first time I have gone to a chat site. He wont go because he says they will just give him pills! Thanks anyway, Suzan
  6. suzan0626

suzan0626 New Member

Hi Aussiewoman...I have known Frank for 27yrs and he was never like this until after he had brain surgery to remove his patuitary gland.(sorry about the spelling) He went to Mayo in Scottsdale Az. 7rs ago and they told him he could have CFS. We have had MRI's of the brain every year to make sure it hasnt returned. We have the best days and then we have some really bad ones. He doesnt cuss, he just acts ugly. He says things like "stop throwing my fruit cans away" or makes love to me and then starts an arguement over nothing! I want to understand him and try to help him. Im just getting very frustrated! I want us to laugh again and beable to live out our lives together. I know I need 2 b more patient but some of the things can just cut through me like a knife. They told him 2 smoke marajana and even gave him a RX for it but its not legal in KY and hard 2 get. They also gave him welbutrin. Is there anything I can do 2 help him? To help us? He wont c a therapist because he believes they will give him more pills. You sound like u care...any help would b greatly appreciated. Thank you! PS...Do u think its CFS? He does seem 2 have all the symtoms...weakness, headaches, confusion...etc
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Suzan - It could be though that meds are exactly what your husband does need. He really should get reevaluated and then decide from there what he wants to do about it.
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

my wife always suggest to my doc(she works for him) to give me a bullet,lol.
    all i can say is it is a frustrating disease, try to get him into a doc and maybe get him on some meds to help calm the frustration down for him.

9. suzan0626

suzan0626 New Member

Since I started talking to you I was reading alot on the internet and I was actually able to talk Frank into seeing another Dr. We have UK Med Center here so Im going to find a neorologist for him through our personal doctor. Again...thank you for all your help. Suzan
  10. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, suzan.

If your husband has indeed had either his entire pituitary or a good part of it removed, he probably needs to see an endocrinologist rather than a neurologist.

The pituitary controls the secretion of several of the hormones in the body, including the thyroid, adrenal and gonadal hormones, as well as others, and this is in the domain of endocrinology, not neurology. If the pituitary is not functioning normally, these hormones need to be replaced by taking them supplementally, and it takes some trial and error to get to the right dosages. An endocrinologist could run tests to see what his hormone levels are, and then prescribe supplementary hormones to normalize them to the degree possible.

I wish you and him the best.

11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

did he have the mood issues before he started taking it (particularly the anger,irritability type stuff)?

if not, I would highly suspect the wellbutrin is the problem - it is well known to cause people who are not normally so to become manic (& mania is not just a "high" energetic thing - it can also take the form of anger and irritability, etc....things like what you say he is doing).....this kind of reaction from some drugs, esp wellbutrin is so common they were considering adding a diagnosis called bipolar III to the DSM - bipolar caused by meds