Need help with short term disability situation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kd25, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kd25

kd25 New Member

I filed an appeal of the denial of my short term disability on 7/2/08. I confirmed that it was received by the person in HR in charge of disability appeals.

The plan document says the employer has 45 days to make a decision and notify me, and can extend up to 45 days if needed, but should have notified me.

It has been over 90 days, and I have heard nothing. Is there some kind of state or federal agency I can complain to? Does their non-compliance with there own policy mean I should automatically be approved?

Thanks for your input!

2. Heald

Heald New Member

Wow, I'm going through the same thing. They also told me 45 -90 days. It will be 45 days on Nov. 17th for me. I called today to find out the status. My claim worker said she was told that a decision would be made on the 17th from an independent contractor. I think they just set on it for 45 days and then respond and just let us suffer.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but happy to find some one with the same issue. I wish you the best.

3. findmind

findmind New Member

Call Alsup now...they know exactly what to do!

Google them...

4. kd25

kd25 New Member

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.
  5. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

I was exactly where you are now in 2005 and what happened to me was I was fired during the 45 days even though I had a doctor statement to be off of work.

I am currently in Federal Court with my employer/STD-LTD Insurance provider and they have denied me up until now and are now wanting to settle out of court.

I would contact the EERISA - I believe that is the intials. They could not help me as I waited to long to contact them but if you do now, you would be in safe zone. I would even contact a lawyer in your area who specializes in LTD cases and ask them advice - it should be free!

Read over your policy carefully and contact your STD insurance and ask them the status of your STD appeal. They have to give it to you. I contacted mine every other day until I was fired and then the STD/LTD told me that they were talking to me for last time because my employer had fired me. That's when I got an attorney and fighting for my STD/LTD and SSDI.

Good luck and if you have any other questions I may be able to give you some advice and I have been thru the ringer fighting the last three years and still going at it.

6. kd25

kd25 New Member

Sounds like you have a good lawyer. Would you be willing to share his/her name?