need help with son's ss questionaire"PLEASE"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Aug 1, 2006.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Some of you know that I very recently applied for SSI for my 19 year old son who was dx'd last month with "aspergers"................

well yesterday I received two packets of papers to fill out asking me question after question about my son and the things he can and cannot do.

This for me is mentally and emotionally draining because it forces me to write down and "FACE" the harsh reality that he will never function like most of us in this world..............

One of the packets if for him to fill out (which I have to do for him he is incapable ) and the other is for me to fill out about him...........

It wants specifics in his limitations and disabilities.........although I refuse to tell anything but the truth on these forms ( I was raised with honest morals) I would like to know if any of you know what things I should elaborate on ?

Also.........the last page is for me to write anything else I wish them to know about my son..........I really want to help my son by saying the correct things......and doing everything possible for him so that he can be approved ................I feel like I need to write on this last page how I feel about all the things my son is limited in.........but I'm unsure this is what they are asking for?

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed!
    Thank you so much
    XO
    Doxy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

remeber the trying days?

check out disabilitysecrets.com

jodie
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I think it is important to get across to them how his "disability" affects his daily life -- what he is unable to do, both physically and emotionally*; how he can or cannot interact with others; if the Aspergers causes other medical or emotional problems.

Be sure to list any, and all, other medical problems that he has in addition to the Aspergers.

*Give many examples ..... is he able to dress himself and take care of his personal hygiene needs? is he able to cook himself food to eat? can he fix himself simple food items, like sandwiches--without assistance? can he understand simple (or complex) instructions? can he be left alone in the house by himself all day? what educational level is he functioning at? what emotional level is he functional at? does he have anger management problems? he is capable of holding down a job? if he has been employed before, what were the problems?

does he take any meds? do the meds cause any noticeable side effects, such as severe fatigue or mental confusion? can he drive (if he can't drive, it would be harder for him to be employed)? if he can not stand/walk/sit for longer than 20 minutes at a time, it needs to be mentioned.

I think anything that you can say about him which would tell Soc. Sec. why he has trouble functioning in a "normal" world would be helpful. You have to describe on paper why he is disabled to the point that he cannot hold down a job in public and is not trainable for a job.

I know this will be hard for you to write down on paper, but I think this is what they want.

I hope some of this helped you.

Good luck, dear.

Love,
    Janet
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I just wanted to say....relax......write it out first on plain paper and then read it again later.
    That way when you fill out the papers they sent, they will say what you want them to say, and no crossing out words, etc.

Relax and know that prayers and love is coming your way.

Good Luck.....Love, Susan
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

look under tuesday's topic bipolar...yes i do know what i am talking about he has a little blurb in there about asperers...and symptoms...and about age development stuff...

like this is from my tired mind ....but it saying on how they didn't have friends etc....

i thought that could trigger some points to put on paper and trigger the memories to get the point accross for ssa...

jodie
  6. petsrme

petsrme Member

Doxy write as much as you can about his limitations. Every bit will help. I got fussed at by the judge for writing too much, this made her think I was not disabled since I was so thorough, but since you are doing it for your son it can only help him. Good luck and best wishes.
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

I would take the worst possible day, or combination of days, you have had with your son, and write it down in a script or story format. Tell the story from beginning to end of the day. Be very specific.

Don't submit the story of course, but use it as a written guide for the paperwork. Seeing it in writing will give you a good mental picture of things you perhaps forgot.

Hope this helps.

(((((Hugs)))))
    Michelle