Need Help With Wording

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by louiesgirl2, Oct 28, 2008.

1. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Okay folks, I am reaching out for your help. I need to formally ask my employer to change my work hours as it is getting hard to get up and get going in the morning. I currently work 730-400pm M-F. I want to ask for a change to 0800-0430pm M-F. Since I work for a County Government there will be all kinds of ADA forms to fill out as back up if my immediate Supervisor refuses me this request.

My primary care doctor being very trustful of me and caring will want me to fill out the paperwork and he will just sign it. He is the best and has known me for many years and was the first to diagnosis me. He is aware of my current situation with morning pain and stiffness as he put me on Lyrica.

So any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Today I am going to put in a formal request to my Supervisor for a change of hours. If he refuses I will have to fill out the paperowrk and send it to the OEO/ADA
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I agree, go with the eeoc route mentioned above.
    If you already have A DR. willing to support your need, look at the eeoc site and compose a letter to the effect that if accomodations aren't made, it will initiate actions to fire you, which would be wrong according to the ADA. Then, you could mention you are trying to be a good employee, and meet your job description requirements, but you don't think a half-hour delay in shift would prevent that in any way detrimental to the County.

you could also mention that this would be preferrable to a short term disability leave as it would save the county money (so important right now, in this economic situation!), and that STD might turn into LTD if you are unable to return to work. That should scare the bejesus out of them.

Best to you,
  3. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

I had to change my hours when I was working and it was helpful that other employees were on the hours scheduled that I was wanting to be on.

Are there other employees scheduled from 8:00 to 4:30? If so, then it should be a breeze. If not, then since you are goverment you may have it tougher. I am gueesing it depends on your position and who you report to.

Make sure you start a paper trail that will allow you to cover your back. More important, how is 30 minutes going to make a difference to your health?

Good Luck,