Need help with Zanaflexneg.side effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artseyone, Jul 16, 2006.

1. artseyone

artseyone New Member

I know this topic has been covered before, but couldn't find the posts.

My dr. put me on the capsule form of zanaflex. I'd used it before 5 years ago and it was in pill form and I don't remember any side effects.
    Ever since starting the new med I can't sleep well- it makes me antsy..
    I know one side effect is nervousness.
    Please let me know of your experiences w/this drug.
    It seems to help, so I hate to give up on it.
  2. BonBons

BonBons New Member

It's the ONLY thing that I can sleep with. Strange, how we are all different....Bon
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Zanaflex has been great for me. It was prescribe after sleep study showed that i kick all night and never reach rem stage.
    I have never seen Zanaflex in capsule form. Have been taking it since january 2003 and always been pill form. I take 12 mg each night before bed or I would not sleep. Helps with muscle tensions and keeps migraines at bay pretty well.
    I take 4 mg and take nap each day.
  4. adirondackhoney

adirondackhoney New Member

it varies with me..
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I looked it up and I couldn't find any generic or manufacturer of Zanaflex which makes it in capsule form.

I take 4 mg. and have not identified any serious side effects with it.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Did you check your prescription bottle label to make sure it was Zanaflex?

Mine is also in pill form. I have the 2 mg tablets, but take 3-4 of them per night (6 or 8 mg).

They are very sedating and I could not take them during the day. I have a lot of pain when I sleep, so I take them at bedtime--the sedating part also helps me sleep.

I have never had any negative side effects from taking them.

Janet
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but i am allergic to that hives wheezing and itching for about a month..

jodie
  8. meowee

meowee New Member

I take 12mg also, along with my 4 mg of ativan and sleep like I baby. I am so thankful for it

God bless you.
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

Perhaps one is designed to be absorbed in intestines rather than stomach or vice versa. Perhaps the capsules, themselves, contain an ingredient, which your body does not like. Example, MOST capsules are made from GELATIN, which comes from boiling animal bones. You might ask the Pharmacist, why might there be a difference in effectiveness between the 2 forms. Pharmacists know these things. Good luck.
  10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I take the pill form as well, works best for me.

I saw an article in FMaware magazine ststing the difference between the cap and pill form.

There is a difference.

I would ask for the pill form.

take care,
    Claudia
  11. kat-E

kat-E New Member

and it totally interupted my sleep patterns. Initially it would knock me out for a little bit, but if there was any sound at all, I would bolt awake with the worst Migraine ever... only comparable to Viral Meningitis.

I also had very vivid nightmares in the short time periods that I was able to sleep.

I dont remember if it was a capsule or pill that I took, too many years ago.