Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Aleithia68, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Aleithia68

Aleithia68 New Member

I was recently diagnosed with the early onset stages of Fibromyalgia. I also have major depression issues. I went to see a Physiatrist recommended by my primary care physician to address my issues of chronic pain. The Psyiatrist put me on 25mg of Amitriptyline at night starting October 25th. Well, I have been taking it as prescribed and I feel worse. I keep having crying spells, have no energy to do anything, or motivation to do anything and I've become very depressed because of it. How long does it take for the Amitriptyline 25mg to work? Should I call my Psychiatrist? Should I call the Physiatrist? I'm not sure what to do! Please help me.

Aleithia68
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I went on the internet and found Amitriptyline is the generic for prescription brand name Elavil. I also found it can take 2 to 4 weeks to start working. So you have just been put the medication and it's a bit soon to determine if it is working.

The psychiatrist will or already has diagnosed you and that may be depression with anxiety or any ailment or combination of ailments. Knowing that helps you to know what you have and you can ask that psychiatrist if there are any patient workbooks that he could recommend that you could use to help you understand more and help you through the process. That is what was done with me, I got the workbook online from Walmart at a low price, and I refer back to the workbook often.

Your crying spells are probably part of the depression you are experiencing. Check in your area for your county Mental Health Societies or Mental Health Association and ask them if they have "Warm Lines" you can call (which are telephone lines you can call annoymously for free for people having mental health troubles such as depression, crying jags, etc. in which they can speak to a trained volunteer and many times even get some resources too if that is part of the depression problem, such as getting food stamps or where to find a city social worker that that can help you with other things). It's a person you can speak with right at that moment that can help you over that bump in the road. They're very good people. Otherwise, if you feel you are suicidal, there are suicide crisis lines and call immediately. The national suicide line is 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255).

Right now would be a good time to figure out what you find joy in and try to do it. Are there certain books you enjoy reading, or do you enjoy a walk or visiting a museum or art gallery? Do you enjoy listening to birds outside sing? Do you enjoy feeding the birds (from the internet, you can learn to make creative food for them from pinecones, from food itself, etc.) Now is the time to go for it.

If you have a pet, how about letting that pet become a pet therapist for you. That animal can sit with you and you can talk to that animal for as long as you need to, and that pet therapist will not judge you, talk down to you, or back talk you and they won't ask you any questions. My two cats are fabulous pet therapists and listened to me over the death of my Dad and much more. My one cat Shelby wants money put in the cat bank because of the pet therapy she has done with me. She said her services are worth putting money in the cat bank for her to spend later!!

Part of getting treatment will be trying to help yourself as much as you can. It's hard to help yourself when you don't feel like it, but you are so worth it. Right now is a rough time and if you can help yourself get through this time, you will be learning tools to use all through your treatment.

If the crying spells continue and you feel worse, call the psychiatrist and see what the doctor wants you to do.

I hope something I have written will help you. I understand depression and what it does and what it takes away. I envision depression as that giant yucky roach in the movie Men In Black because I don't want it to be invisible--I want to see what depression would look like if it could appear physically, and that would be a giant, angry, pissed-off roach trying to doom us all.