Need ideas for a mattress!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by omm, Apr 23, 2003.

1. omm

omm New Member

Dear Folks, After some research, I was about to buy a Tempurpedic mattress Then I started looking for the most reasonable price around and found an honest salesperson who mentioned that some people find it difficult to turn on a Tempurpedic. The same day I found 2 posts which said the same thing. When I questioned the salesperson he suggested a latex mattress because it's easier to move around on it. Apparently, it is also cooler because of all of the holes in it and of course it is all natural as opposed to Tempurpedic.

I am homebound and can't get out to try out these mattresses. Right now, I am sleeping on my old bed (don't remember the brand), I put an Aero bed on top, then I top that off with a Cuddle Ewe. After 3-4 hours on this contraption, the Cuddle Ewe seems to flatten out, so I wake up my husband who then removes the Aero bed and the Cuddle Ewe; fluffs up my Comfort-U, puts that on my bed and covers it with a thick down comforter. Wow! There's got to be an easier way! :eek:) And still there is mucho pain when I wake up.
    Also, I have vertigo which makes it difficult for me to do all of the research.

Sorry for the length of this, but I do urgently need to get a mattress that doesn't hurt. I've also tried inflatable rafts, featherbeds and magnet beds.

I would really be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

If you prefer to write to me privately my email is ah-ha@msn.com.

Wishing you all lots of laughter and NO pain!

Hugs,

Omm
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Omm, welcome to our world! Heres what I found to be the most confortable;

I have a Posturepedic extra firm mattress;
    On top of this; a feather bed
    On top of the feather bed a;
    'Wireless mattress heating pad'! Now this is after years of trying everything under the sun and the moon!

I also use a Goose Down Conforter for cover.

I call it my 'cocoon'.

What made it all work was the wireless heating mattress pad. Its a gentle heat, not hot. It helps with the night pain and the morning stiffness. They are sold at Penny's, Sear's and Spiegel's. On line or in the catalog.

Everyone here that has got one is just crazy about them!

I also use a Buckwheat pillow, its great for the neck and it conforms to our head too.

It took me years of trial and error to get this bed together, now I have this same thing in my bedroom and I put a sleigh daybed in my library for my naps that has the same things on it as in the master bedroom.

The sofa is now in the den, as I use to take naps on the sofa and wake up with more pain than when I layed down. Now I have the best of both worlds in two rooms on upstairs one downstairs.

Hope you find what works for you too!

Shalom, Shirl

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just bought a new bed last night! I tried everything in the store and bought my second choice, which was a very firm innerspring for back support.
    My first choice was the latex, which was SO comfortable, but it was definitely out of my price range, and I had just read research saying that Orthopedists recommend a good innerspring over all of the other fancy stuff out there.
    I am now sleeping on a foam bed and it is just too soft.
    I really don't see how you can find out what is right for you without testing it out. If you are going to buy a bed sight unseen, please make sure you get one with a trial period.
    Now I just have to wait while the new bed airs out in storage for at least a month before I can bring it home ,since my chemical sensitivities are so bad.
    BTW, the salesman confirmed what I had read on the web about Select Comfort beds....they do leak eventually. For that price, they should last forever! I know there are many on here who prefer Select Comfort, since this subject has come up many times before. You can go to the top of the page and type in "mattress" under "search previous posts" to see everyone's comments on this subject.
    Welcome,
    Klutzo
  4. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

Greetings all,

I just joined these boards after having read them over the last few weeks. In regard to mattress toppers, I purchased a memory foam mattress from Costco (much more reasonable than some of the others and they're available online) and have slept better, less sore in the morning and don't sleep as hot. I can be tired and sore when I lay down and in a matter of minutes, every sore muscle seems to be supported and soothed. I realize everyone is different and what works for me may not work for others but here's hoping!

Regards
    Carolyn
  5. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I love it I got mine in August and I have no rouble turing as I have herniations in my cervical neck region with bone spurs. I don't think I could sleep on anything else. It is easy to change the sheets as it is not heavy and I live in Hawaii and it is not hot to sleep on. The tempur pedic will adjust to room temps and your body temps, and it has a warranity for 20 years you don't need a botton box spring. Just put some plywood down on the bedset that holds the mattress's and thats it. I was bedridden for about 6 months and I love it. Good Luck Ellie
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

the heated mattress pads are essential! I purchased mine online at Penneys and it is one of my favorite things! We purchased a Sealy posturpedic about 2 months ago it was a tad to hard so I put a memory foam topper on it and it is heaven now. As for the select comfort beds we hated it! sent ours back to the tune of $150.00 postage. what a rip.
  7. beckster

beckster New Member

One, you can buy a tempurpedic type mattress for only $99 from Taylor Gifts that you can put right over whatever setup you currently have. Two, I love my egg-crate foam mattress I put right over my top mattress. Don't get the thin ones (like 3" or so) but get one of the really thick ones (like 8" thick to 12"). I love it; its heaven.
  8. wolflake46

wolflake46 New Member

Omm,

I'm with the moderator on this on after reading her post on her suggestion I bought a feather mattress cover and a heated mattress pad. It is like heaven I hate to get out of bed in the morning. My mattress itself is old and I couldn't afford to get a new one but now it feel like new!

Diane
  9. Jane57

Jane57 New Member

Hi! I have tried many beds too! I have used feather beds that go flat. Even two at a time. I have a memory foam mattress pad that I purchased from Penneys and have had very good luck with it. Have a mattress with a pillow top also, but could absolutely not sleep on a firm matress, but also not too soft. I have thought of trying one of the aero matress toppers, but have not tried that yet!!! Good Luck!!!
  10. omm

omm New Member

Dear Folks,

Thank you all for your incredibly helpful replies! I finally have some hope that there is a mattress out there for me. I got so excited at the truly positive responses that I looked up all previous answers concerning mattresses. I am madly taking notes and hope to find something this week! Thank you all. This is a wondrous place!!! Hugs, Omm

[ advertisement ]