Need Ideas for a university directed study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by evol_or_revert, Oct 16, 2006.

1. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

Thought I should post here someone may have an idea for me.

I'm doing a directed study for psychology next year, so i get to choose my own topic.

I want to look at CFS though the psychology point of view, I was thinking a Behaviour analysis approach to the effect of this chronic illness.

But im pretty stuck really.

Maybe I should look at the personality types of cfs patients?
    Or the long term effects of this illness on behaviour?

Any ideas anyone????

Thanks

evol
  2. 1faith

1faith New Member

Long term effects might be easier. Individual effects of lifestyle changes, interpersonal relations, income, pychological, effects on society (cost burden), etc. I don't have CFS-I feel awful for those of you that do. I can take a pain pill-wish there was an energy pill for you guys!
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

First that picture in your Bio is really cool.

I am one who has had a life long history of Depression.

But When I was Dx with CFS/FM I had just went threw a mental breakdown due to the lack of serotonin being depleted in my body.

I think it would be interesting to find out how many people DX with CFS/FM have depleted serotonin vs people who just have depression ,CFS/FM.

I hope that makes since.
    There are so many physical causes for depression
    I do not believe all Mental problems include depression.

4. maedaze

maedaze New Member

bump for more ideas....
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

evol_or-revert:

I would imagine like most studies you would have to do many interviews to find a common denominator.

if you are going to look at the personality types of CFS patients, you might also want to investigate what they were like before CFS and how their personalities changed over the 'sick years'.

just my suggestion,

nyrofan
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

nyrofan I like that idea

How our personalities change because of this DD.

I did a lot of volunteer work ,stayed busy with my kids ,housework and all kinds of stuff enjoying every min of my life.

Now I am home most everyday .Housework is very hard for me. The kids are all grown and moved out. I can not do any volunteer work anymore and I miss it terribly.

If it was not for this board I would probably have no outside life at all. In fact if it was not for my computer I'd be a very lonely person.

I have no personal friends living here all my close friends live in other states. Before this DD I would have gone out and made lots of friends where ever I lived.

Now I do not have the energy to make new friends much less be a good friend. I was always the giver now I just cope with life I do not feel like I contribute much at all anymore.

I live with the hope that one day I will wake up and be able to continue where I left off before I got this DD.

sorry I was so long winded :)

7. webintrig

webintrig New Member

in your profile after 6 years your on your way of recovery...may I ask what you are recovering from?

Thanks!

Also very good ideals mentioned here.
  8. penstemon

penstemon New Member

I remember someone did a master's thesis on the spirituality of people with CFS. It was an aspect that often hasn't been addressed.
    The social impact of having a misunderstood illness needs to be addressed. And I don't mean from the point of view of those who are prejudiced against it. I mean from the point of view of those who have it or understand it.
    Or how about the impact on families. 3 out of six of us in my family have it. My parents take care of my sister full time. And they try to help my brother who has it too. It's certainly had an impact on his family, wife and kids.
    Or how about how the social stigma discourages so many people from finding a proper diagnosis, and how it keeps many of those who have been properly diagnosed from claiming their illness and seeking proper care.
    Or one more thing, someone needs to do a real study on how many people die from CFS and Fibromyalgia. The myth that no one dies from it needs to be dispelled. That one might not fit into a psychological study, but someone needs to do it.
  9. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

thanks for the ideas everyone I'm really greatful for the time you spent typing them out. I will only be in third year so it is an undergradute study, but im hoping to get in to clinic psychology so I can further my research.

Wakemeup your right there are so many things that aren't looked in to that go along with the desease.

webintig I have CFS.

Prickles I will be careful, I hated being labeled as depressed from the start, i only got it after a few years of being sick because i was sick! I can't find any papers at my uni about CfS :(.

Thanks again everyone, I've noted all the ideas so I can do some futher research in them to see which would be the most beanfical(sp.
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Good luck with your paper .I would like you to post it if you can I'm interested also in your views.

I also feel I had CFS when I was young(around 12 or 13) but I got FM many many years later.(around 47)

I personally believe they are connected and if you have one you will end up with the other)Maybe I did not notice the FM as much when I was young because my Body worked better then .Or Maybe as I have grown older my hormones have become less which raises the pain level in the FM.

Anyhow good luck on the paper.Let us know if you want to know anything else.