Need ideas for LTD questions they have asked me..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildflowers2, Apr 18, 2006.

1. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I am still fighting with LTD> and now after they turned
    me down for not meeting the requirements I had. I then got ALL my new medical reports and some old and mailed them to
    them with my appeal letter.

Well, they want to know what mydaily activites are in detail
    from when I wakte to bed and also explain what I can do vs. what I feel I can not do.

and why I cant work fro someoen else as an insides sales assiatant.

describe my job duties: I am givng them what the compamy
    gave me what they were.

I am just in a fog..what else in new >?......

But I know others have ideas when I cant think straight

any suggestions?

they also want to know IF I am claiming my heairng impairment, endocrinology and my gerd and what they Drs are doing for it and if its a disability as well

any restrictions or limitations......

thanks

2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Tell them exactly what you do from the time you get up, getting kids ready for school, making breakfast, having a shower, etc. etc., and how each activity makes you feel, whether it's total exhaustion and you have to lie down, or whether it's pain or nausea, or whatever. I told them that if I took a shower I became sooo exhausted, couldn't think or see hardly and had to lie down for a couple of hours.

I also gave them a detailed description of my duties at work, and WHY I wouldn't be able to do these things due to exhaustion, inability to think and remember words, etc. The job description that most employers provide are very broad, and you need to tell them what it is that you DO exactly.

I also made them a list of things I used to do and a list of things I can do now due to CFS, for instance, I used to be able to go for long walks, golf, go for lunch with friends, concerts, etc. The list of things that I USED to do was a lot longer than the list of things that I can do since becoming sick, and I pointed that out to them.

All of this is very time consuming and difficult and may make you feel worse. Point that out to them as well. But, make yourself some notes on a piece of paper as you go about your day, for a few days, and then type it out so that it makes sense to them. They want to know what it is that you can't do, not just that you are tired or have pain. Tell them how many meds you take for instance, and answer all of their questions, as though you are telling someone who knows nothing about you at all, which they don't. They have to have details, and you are the only one to provide them, because no one else knows how you feel or what you DO at home and at work. You can ask me more questions if you want. Take care. Marie
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

I can see a bit of a trap here. They're asking you to describe what you can do vs "what you FEEL you can't do".

They're going to try and make it look like you just FEEL that you can't do things.

Instead, tell them what you really actually physically can't do and why you can't do it. Tell them what happens to you when you try to do it.

As for the daily routine, just make a long list of all the usual things you have to do in the day.

Start with getting out of bed. Is that difficult? Tell them how.

Then having a shower or bath. Do you have trouble getting and and out of a bath, or lifting your hands to wash your hair, or holding the weight of a bath towel to dry yourself? Describe the sort of physical effect these things have on you and how long the effect lasts.

Then getting dressed. Do you have trouble reaching up to pull on a sweater? Problems reaching down to put on socks or tights?......

Carry on like that, right through all the normal activities of a typical day. Tell them what you're doing and why it's difficult. Tell them what you'd like to do but can't. Explain why you can't and what happens when you try.

Take the same sort of approach with the job they're suggesting. Make a list of all the things you'd have to do to hold down the job, then explain why each one would be impossible, difficult, or make you more ill.

e.g. Could you get even there? Would public transport be difficult? Tell them why. Would driving be difficult? Tell them why. Does the job involve standing for any length of time? Why would that be difficult? Would it involve concentrating? Would it involve repetitive movements? How would you feel at the end of a working day and how would that stop you doing other things in your life, like laundry, cooking, eating etc. Have you worked before? If so, what effect did that have on you?

Instead of seeing their questions as asking for a big lump of information, try to think of them as asking for lots of little bits of info all stuck together. That makes it a bit less daunting.

Let us know how you get on.
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just want to pass one bit of info that someone on the board gave me about discussing your disabilities. I wish that I had learned this earlier.

DO NOT ever say you can't do something. Example: I can't drive. I can't carry a pocketbook. I can't hold my grand baby.

I found that it was a term I used because most of the time I can't but of course on rare occasions you have to do something you "can't do". If they get a picture of you doing what you have told them you can't, you will have problems.

The advise I was given was to say: I have difficulty doing ........ or if causes me pain if I have to......

You get the picture??? I wish I had posted on the board before I spoke to my LTD company. I don't know if what I have said will effect me but I fear that it will.

Do a search for Unum, Unum Provident, or Long Term Disability and you will find the info more info on the board.
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Ugh this stinks...thank you all for your good information

lets see where this gets me
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Always add the caveat that you struggle in performing things.

Occasionally, I am up to doing some things, but I have to struggle or just plain cannot do some things at times.
  7. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

what it means is IF you say you can't do whatever

for long term disability they set up a surveillance
    to catch you doing something YOU said you cant do.....