Need ideas for starting a pain journal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Zzzsharn, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Hi everyone,
    I was hoping for some ideas for a pain journal- I know that my doctor would look at it, but I want to do one more for my own benefit.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Be well,
    Sharon
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I just use a regular wall calendar that has large boxes for each date. I also make sure it has the moon cycles because they have an effect on me... I know that now from keeping a journal :)

Each day I write all the places I hurt in order of worst to best and then put a number 1-10 on how much average I hurt for the day (1 being least 10 being worst). I then include any other symptoms, like fatigue, dizziness, headaches, fog, etc)

It has helped me keep track of my illness and its very easy to look back at. I keep all of my old calendars/symptom logs and I can see certain patterns and it helped me with my SSDI claim because I could easily give correct info regarding how many days a month I was ill, how many days I had pain above X amount, etc.

For me it has been a very easy way to keep track of things and it makes it very easy to glance at and get info ready for my Dr or to track trends of symptoms.

Anyway hope you find the best way for you!

JL
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

My Occ Therapist had me keep a fatigue diary. She suggested marking the fatigue 1-10 at three set points in the day, to see if there was a pattern of when it was worse. I chose 9am, 3pm & 9pm. It did help me recognise when I was worse, and how certian activities affected me.

Perhaps doing the same for your pain levels might show a pattern? You could always mark 1-10 at other times as well, if there's a particular change you need to note.
  4. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Thanks for all your ideas!

Sharon