Need ideas for stress management

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sheep04, Apr 25, 2007.

1. sheep04

sheep04 New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to the message board but not new to fm. Have been dealing with this for 5 years and still struggle a lot.
    I have two major events coming up within the next three months: one daughter's college graduation (out of town) and the other daughter's wedding.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to handle the stress so I don't end up with huge flare ups that put me in the bed? I really want to enjoy these occasions but there is so much to do and so much stress.
    Thanks for your help!
    Best wishes for good days to you all!
    Sheep 04
  2. jole

jole Member

Oh boy, I do not envy you!!!! At my daughter's wedding I had a panic attack so bad I wanted to sit under the table and cry..:) But that's just me.....

I think the best thing you can do is delegate, delegate, delegate. The less you have to do the better. Hopefully you can just show up and enjoy both events as much as possible. Do you have a wedding consultant or is that in the budget? If not, I would certainly turn it over to a friend that has "been there, done that". I didn't, and it certainly took its toll.

Best of luck to you. Hope you can enjoy both of these wonderful days with your daughters and have great memories to share for years to come.

Friends - Jole
  3. sheep04

sheep04 New Member

Jole,
    Thanks for the words of wisdom! I know I need to delegate and I definitely plan on doing that. Our budget/income did not allow for a wedding planner so we are taking care of things as best we can. There must be dozens of lists!
    However, we do have wonderful friends and family that will be an enormous help. I just have to let go and let them do things.
    I am looking forward to the occasions and I think if I can just deal with the stresses, I'll be okay.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    Sheep04
  4. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Haven't had a wedding or graduation to plan for but have had to plan/ attend events for various reasons.

My advice would be to change your and family's expectations for the event. That is, priortize traditions or things you/family find most important for the event but don't get too bogged down by the details.
  5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I went through my daughters wedding and we had my parents 50th at the same time. I can honestly say my daughter and I did have a few arguments along the way. Very stressfull time. If you have access to a sauna or a hot tub or both go there without anyone that is connected to the party and meditate. Try to find time to be alone with a good book. I know it is time consumming but, you will need to find time to relax or you will not be any good to anyone you will end up bedridden. There were times I just had to remove myself from the situation and let other take over and I belonged to a gym so I would go in the sauna. I also had a jacuzzi tub at that time so I did alot of soaking. Important for you to find time for yourself. Remember they are adults they will survive if you disappear for awhile. Moms sometimes just try to do too much.
  6. sheep04

sheep04 New Member

Wow! Thanks so much for your ideas on how to handle the stress from the events (a graduation and a wedding) coming up in our family.
    You have all given me some great ideas and I am going to start right away to impliment them. I know they will help me to remain more calm and collected.
    We do have a hot tub and I do not hestiate to sneak off and take a little nap when necessary! I even have a door hanger to leave on my door! "Very Important Nap in progress! Do not Disturb!"
    Thanks again my friends! I wish you all well!
    Sheep04