***Need Ideas for things to bake with natural ingred...**

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Jan 21, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am trying to watch what I eat.. The whole yeast thing!

I miss baking soooo bad. I was wondering if anyone had any good reciepes for cookies.. cakes.. muffins..?? Made with natural or organic ingred.

Stuff my kids would like.. and me too!

I have some books that have some reciepes in them.. But I need some that people like and have made..

Thanks
    SherylD
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

No Sugar Banana Bread
    Process in blender:
    4 eggs and 1/2 c. prunes
    Pour into mixing bowl
    Add:
    1 stick butter, melted (or 1/2 c. safflower oil)
    4 c. whole grain flour
    1 t. salt
    2 t. baking soda
    2 t. vanilla
    6 large bananas, mashed
    1 c. walnuts, chopped
    Put into 2 greased loat pans.
    Bake 350 degrees for 50-60 min.
    Hope you like it!
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

No Sugar Peanut Butter Bars
    1/2 c. butter, melted
    1/2 c. apple sauce
    1 c. peanut butter
    2 eggs
    2 t. vanilla
    1/3 c. barley malt or honey or 1 1/4 t. stevia
    2 c. whole grain flour
    1 c. rolled oats
    1/2 t. salt
    2 t. soda
    2 t. baking powder
    1 c. carob (or chocolate) chips (depending on if you want any sugar!)
    Cream liquid ingredients. Add rest of ingredients and mix until just combined. Press into a greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. Cool 10 min. and cut into bars.
  4. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Try www.wildoats.com and www.wholefoods.com. They both have lots of recipies for alternative baking. My local library has lots of natural recipe cook books you might try that.

Happy eating

skierchik
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Gives me some places to start..

7. BethM

BethM New Member

you might want to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat flour. It is a finer flour, yields a lighter product.

happy baking!

Beth.
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

My sister in law is with a coop.. She can get me alot of stuff..I have the whole wheat flour coming..I just bought some brown rice flour that I really like..

My problem is the sweetner..I don't what to do about that..

What about organic sugar?? That probably is not ok to use?

Thanks again,
    SherylD
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks..I have been looking all over for those 2.. I am not having any luck..

I will keep looking.
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have a corn bread reciepe in one of those books.. I will look it up and put it on here for you..

11. SherylD

SherylD Guest

1 3/4 cups stoneground corn meal
    1/3 cup whole wheat flour
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    3 TB. cold-pressed vegetable oil
    1 1/2cups water or milk
    1 egg lightly beaten

Combine dry ingredients, beat agg, add oil and water and blend all together. Bake in oiled 8in. square pan at 425', 20 - 25 min.

I have never made this one.. so let me know if you do.
  12. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I don't know if this will fit the bill exactly b/c it does have brown sugar in it. I've made these and they are to die for!! I'm sure you could use some sort of other sweetener instead of the brown sugar if you need to. Everything else in them is pretty much okay, isn't it??

Cranberry-Oat Delights

*3/4 C unsalted butter
    *1 ½ C brown sugar
    *2 tsp cinnamon
    *¼ tsp ginger
    *¼ tsp nutmeg
    *½ tsp baking powder
    *½ tsp baking soda
    *½ tsp salt
    *1 Tbl vanilla
    *1 large egg
    *1 1/3 C old-fashioned rolled oats
    *1¼ C whole wheat flour
    *2 C dried fruit (cranberries, diced apples, chopped dates, raisins, apricots, or the dried fruit of your choice
    *1 C diced pecans or walnuts

Cream together the butter, sugar, spices, leaveners, salt, and vanilla. Beat in egg. Add the oats, flour, fruit, and nuts, and stir to combine.
    Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350ºF oven for 7 minutes; reverse the pans on the racks, and bake for an additional 7 to 8 minutes, until cookies are beginning to brown around the edges, but are still soft in the center. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.
    Yield: about 4 dozen cookies.
  13. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I was on anti candida diet for a year.

The only down side to this cookie is you really have to eat them warm. They are very easy to make. I can't remember where I got it. One of the Anti-candida diet books I suppose.
    I will try this from memory. I no longer have the book. I am used to making a half batch and I cannot remember the amount on oats unless I am making it, you will know what is right.

2 mashed bananas
    1 (or ? 2)c oats
    1/4 c walnut oil
    1/4 c walnuts

Mix well. Scoop by 1/8c. onto cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8 min or so til lightly browned. Makes a dozenish.
  14. Zaiyne

Zaiyne New Member

I have cooked from are on http://www.veganchef.com/ even if you aren't a vegan they have really good food listed
  15. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's a Greek/Turkish dip and all around meal garnish. We just had supper at a great Greek restaurant the other night and it reminded me, thier Tzaziki was to die for.

So here's an approximate recipe for a great way to get that nasty yogurt down and add to it's probiotic and nutrient properties. I haven't made it yet, but I'm going to soon. You can buy it at grocers too, in the dairy section, but it's never as good as the restaurant versions I've had.

Tzaziki

2 cups yogurt
    half an English cucumber
    half to 1 tsp garlic puree

Blend in blender until smooth.

I wouldn't be concerned about brown sugar in a recipe. Brown sugar is not very refined, it's brown and sticky because the molasses has been left in, and molasses is very nutrious, rich in iron and other minerals. I've adopted my Mom's rule of thumb for baking, halve the sugar and double the spices. Tastes all the better for it too.

jeanne

16. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I finally took some time and looked at those sites you gave me for some reciepes.. they are wonderful.

Thanks so much.. I will be able to look up some good stuff there. I wish I had one of those stores close to me. I think they would be about 2 hours form me.

SherylD