Need Ideas for Wedding Reception Favors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, May 24, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Hello Everyone!

Well, I got married last month in North Carolina, and we are having a reception next month here at home in California, and I haven't figured out what to make for favors yet. I can be crafty if I want to, but I can't decide what to make.

I've thought about doing something with candles, making bookmarks, little trinket boxes, or soaps. I don't want to give out bubbles or hershey kisses - no offense to those who have given those out - I just like to be different. And, I like to give things that are useful - not just something someone will just throw away.

Oh yeah, and I have only a few weeks & a limited budget to work with (of course)! The only sort of "theme" I would say is a beach theme, but it doesn't have to be. I want any idea I can get!

So, you creative, crafty ladies out there, I need your help! Let's get those ideas coming!!

Thanks!

Leanne
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

you might look on line for Sand Dollars and give them as good luck on a bookmark with a poem or bible verse .Or make candy like shells and Sand Dollars and put them in a little basket with a ribbon and a little bag of bird seed, tyed with a bow the same color as your wedding colors, for when you leave the reception.
    You can make homemade suckers and tye ribbons around them.
    How about white lace hankies or mens and have your wedding date stamped or printed with your names on the cornor.
    You might be able to do that your self.
    Ill try to think up some other things and get back to you.
    What a fun thing to think about.
  3. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

Hi Leanne-

Would you ever consider making a donation in honor of the guests at your wedding? My sister did this in lieu of favors and it went over really big at the wedding. She placed cards at each placesetting at the reception that said:

In lieu of favors a donation has been made to..... in honor of our freinds and family celebrating with us.
    Thank you all for sharing in our day.

4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

What are you most known for? Like, I am known for my unicorn collection, nad hubby is musical. Try to incorporate those into the favors. Also, the wedding colors you used. Mine were royal purple, royal blue, and pink (to lighten it up.)

Please let us know what you decide. Maybe put a pic up on your profile???

And, congratulations again!

God Bless.
  5. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I like the musical idea, we are both musicians. Funny I didn't think of that! Well, not really I guess, with the fog & all! I'll have to think about that.

Ok, I managed to get one of my wedding pictures posted on my profile, finally. I'll get one of my whole family on there soon - those are the best, but this is the best one I have on my computer here at work, so it will have to do for now.

Keep them coming!!

Thanks!

Leanne
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2006]
  6. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Leanne,

I just went to a wedding & this was a cute thing the bride & groom had.

There was a very large picture (I'm guessing the engagement picture)of the two of them together - with a very wide mat. There was a special pen for every guest to sign the mat - so then this pic (or perhaps it will be replaced by an actual wedding pic of the two of them- will be properly framed. (Such a cute idea!)

Well, at each table- there was a small framed picture of the same photo to take home. In addition, the centerpiece was a pretty three colored candle, very gently set among some nice stones - all in a glass container. All can be purchased very inexpensively in a craft store. One person at each table "won" the centerpiece! It was really pretty, wish I won it. I was glad to get a picture of the bride & groom, he's my Godson. Gee, I can't believe he's married! I'm getting old LOL!

So, how about giving out pics of you & hubby in your wedding dress? You can pick up small frames at a craft shop - look for when they have the sale for 40% off- Make sure w/ the manager ahead of time you will be needing x#, enough for all your guests, or one for each couple.

Congratulations to you & best of luck w/ the reception!

Hugs,
    Patty
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm sure Marthla Stewart has a million ideas.

She also has a staff to carry them out.
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't know if this was mentioned or not but you could make cd's with your favorite love songs on them and your picture on the cd holder.

Have fun!

Sofi
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

My stepdaughter did the bookmarks and I loved that! But she also did a placemat with pictures of all ages of her and her husband. We all enjoyed that too.
    I know people used to give out Jordan almonds, I loved those!
    Maybe you could walk around a craft store or two and let your imagination run wild!!
  10. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

One wedding had chocolate bars printed with the names of the bride and groom. Another had paper hearts with wild flower seeds. You just put the paper in the flower bed as is and it sprouts. pretty cool.
    Hope you get lots of ideas.
  11. splinter

splinter New Member

for my son's wedding they have bought inexpensive silver toned frames. They selected favorite snapshots of the couple[my favorite is the 2 of them "playing" in McDonald's
    slide] , took the photos and copied them in sepia tones at the Walmart do-it-yourself photo copier. They have a very nice look for not much cost. The sepia tones look classic
    and elegant.
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Much more thoughtful, and saves alot of prep time. I might just do that myself, our wedding is July 8th.

the Michael's craft site has some good ideas. I was thinking of doing the tule (sp.?) wrapped tealight candle. Everyone is into candles (but me, I'm allergic to scents), so I was going to get the prized honey candles in tealights, the beeswax smells like flowers, but natural. I'm actually ok w/ them unless I light them, they are nontoxic at least and don't have lead wicks or emit petrochemicals like cheap artificial ones.

Anyway, the idea at Michael's was to wrap them in a piece of tule, the wedding veil material. You can get it very cheap at Walmart, $2 a metre or less for an american yard. You just take a square of tule, plunk a tealight in the mid, gather and twist the tule and tie w/ a thin gold ribbon. tule comes in many colours, including glitter, and you could use whatever ribbon colour to match your wedding colours.

Jeanne
  13. FibroGran

FibroGran New Member

At a friend's granddaughters wedding they had live goldfish in small fish bowls for centerpieces and after, the guests got to take them home.
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

What about a small flower pot with a bag of seeds and candy shells in it.
    Oh, I was going to tell you if you are thinking of center pieces .If this would go.put a glass mirror in the center of the table on it put some sand with small shells right around it(you can find small music boxes in the shape of a piano )put rose petals around the piano and a couple on it.You may get lucky and find one that plays a favorite song of yours or the wedding song.Those could be given away after the reception.If you can't find the pianos you could use a large candle or three together in different sizes.A few years ago I found the piano's for about 20 each and the mirror's on line .if you like that idea Tell me and I'll try to find them on line and let you know where they are.
  15. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Well, I went to Big Lots yesterday & found some bargains on votive candles & holders so I had to buy them. The candles were 4 for a dollar and the glass candle holders were only 29 cents each, so, so far only 50 cents a favor. Not too bad! Now, I have to decorate them!

I think I like the idea of gluing some mosaics on them - should be pretty with the candle lit if I use the clear ones in a pretty color with the light shinning through. I have to go to the craft store now & see if I can find some I like. We will see......Usually once I get an idea I can run with it, so hopefully.......

Thanks again for all of the ideas. Have a great day!

Leanne
  16. Had bought flower bulbs and wrapped them in netting material , tied with a bow and attached a cute note saying something like plant this and think of us,and you will always be a part of our life. Thought it was a cute idea.
  17. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Like the donation Idea. I skipped favors. Not that many people take things with them. Even my sister's wedding, I forgot to take her favor a bookmark!

No one even noticed, no one said a word (this was two months into my CFS when I thought it was just sinus probs).

I do like the little personalized packages of wedding mints. You don't have to do anything too! Some say "Mint to be together" kitchy!

How about sparklers when you leave the reception?

Or mini photo albums?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/25/2006]