Need ideas on saving money,getting REALLY bad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by claudiaw, Feb 29, 2008.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

My dog had his surgery last week and now I'm trying a chinese herbal formula that I 'm hoping will keep this from returning, the holistic vet,is giving me a discount, but it's still over our budget.

if you saw my posts when I found out his cancer returned, you know how much he means to me.

Anyway, i can't work, so the only thing I can do is go back to conventional veggies, i can't afford organic anymore.

Anyone know the best way to wash them, besides those washes which are just soap (from coconut oil). I know it doesn't do anything about what's IN the veggie, but it's all I can do right now.

i've heard 1 cup vinager to water, any other ideas? I heard salt, but I couldn't get the vinager or salt flavor off.

Husband has lost lot's of job's , praying for better health for and better economy for us all. I know I'm the only one.

I keep the heat low. turn off light's, t.v., when not in room.

Anyone hear of freegans? It's basically dumpster diving for clean good food the stores just throw away, that's my next thing, if thing's get tighter.

Also anyone know about those car sales from police auctons? I heard you have to pay, but thought I heard about a way to get past that. Our car has 250,000 miles on it!

I was going to sell the little gold I have, but think I's better wait to see if it goes up more.

i have silver coins, not worth much, but don't know where or how to find a trusting dealer.

Thanks for any ideas, and no I can't work from home.Typing this alone will have me down the rest of the night.

I appreciate any ideas, getting desperate.

A ;pic of max is in my bio.;)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2008]
  2. kjade

kjade New Member

I am sorry you are dealing with all of this....I know how hard it is. I myself am looking for ways to improve my financial situation all the time. If you read my thread about how I felt like a failure, you will see many, many wonderful suggestions there that might help you too.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen your posts about your dog. What kind of dog is he? How old? What type of cancer? I know how hard this is too...we had a dog who had Lymphoma, and once it was discovered, it had spread throughout his entire body. We decided to do chemo, and the vet we had at the time was very reasonable. It was only $25 a treatment, and he went once a month. I really don't know much though about holisitic treatments.

As for washing your veggies, I don't know what I can offer there - I'm terrible with that. I usually just rinse in the sink. But I have seen this stuff they sell (can't think of the name of it) in the produce dept. that is a type of spray that is used to clean them. I don't know how well it works, but it was my first thought.

I don't know much about the auctions, but I do know someone who does this with houses. She goes to auctions and buys homes, fixes them up and sells them. She makes quite a profit, but she does have to have cash up front. I don't know if car auctions are the same or not.

As for your coins, if you REALLY want to sell those, I would make sure you go to someone you can trust. And I would get more than one opinion too - actually I would get several. There also must be some web sites out there you can look at to get an idea what your coins may be worth.

Well, I see I haven't been much help - we are in a similar boat right now. Maybe others will have better answers for you. I am wishing you the best and sending a big hug. I hope things improve for you soon.

3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

sorry to hear abut your dog. What a great vet $25 a treatment is unheard of!

Max is a pit bull mix blk/wht. like pete on the little rascals.:) hes's my 7yr. old babay, rarely leaves my side. I spend most time in bed, he stay's right w/me. he loves to snuggle and be squishes.:) Sometimes I don't know how he can breathe! he get's between my husband and I buries his head and starts snoring, he loves it.:)

he had his 3rd mast cell surgery, so I'm putting him on chinese herbs from a vet in N.Y., that's suppose to be the best at cancer treatment. I pray so. I need to ave an extra 4100 a month! the only thing I can give up is organic veggies.

i don't buy anything, can't work, don't go anywhere, so there's nothing to cut out.

we don't live above our means, we're under! My busband need's more work, and he's trying.

I know I need to be careful about the jewlwer's, it's a shame you can't trust people.

anyway, I hope your situation get's better.

4. caffey

caffey New Member

I have had to cut a lot of corners over the past couple of years.
    1. Can you re-mtg. your house to have lower payments?
    2. Lower some of the coverage on my car ins.
    3. Cancel some of the luxeries on cable tv, phone and internet
    4. Buy non name brands for food.
    5. Do you have food banks.
    My opinion is don't sell your coins you will regret it later.
    My heart is with you and I wish you all the best.
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thankfully we have no debt, just no money either.

Our car has 250,000 miles on it, don't know how we'll pay for a used car, just trying to stay positive.

that's the problem, it's not like we can do anything, other than cut more coupons, buy store brands, no organics.

we aren't living beyond our means, we don't have much mean's.

We just somehow need more money coming in. there's nothing to cut out.

Thanks for the ideas though,
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I read somewhere that mixing mostly water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide was supposed to be good.

I'm so sorry that things are so tough for you right now. I hope your doggie gets well. We love our animals so much that they really do become a part of our family.

Do they have a food bank in your town?
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I'm thinking of selling hummels on e-bay, but since i don't drive, selling could be hard. i'm not good at pricing and all that.

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Dear Claudia,

What a tough time you're going through! I don't have any great words of wisdom except to take one day at a time and give thanks for what you do have. I know it sounds nutty but I believe fear attracts negative situations into our lives while gratitude, as hard as it is to be at times, brings us peace.

Yes, I saw the show about Freegans and think a person would need to be very careful with what they ate and, as you said, how things were cleaned. I use white vinegar and water. I do agree that we're a wasteful society and like the idea of people using things up.

I'll be thinking of Max - and your family - and asking that you be surrounded with love, peace and wisdom.

9. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I know there are other's way worse off, I don't mean to whine.

I was watching Dr. Wayne Dyer and getting inspiered and then boom, looked at Max found another bump. My life seem's to go that way.

The harder I try to stay positive, the more comes against me.

I've been through my parents divorce at age 12, mom died when I was 17, bunch of stuff after that, have had to struggle finacially my fault for not going to college, but dad and I don't get along would n't take his money, so I went to work after mom died right at high school graduation.

I do believe in God and my need's have allway's been provided for.

It's just hard sometimes to stay positive when stuff is seemingly allway's coming at me.

now I have whatever this is FM/MPS or whatever is going on, still tying to stay positive.

Now I just want my beloved dog to live out his FULL life.

Seem's like I've been trying this my whole life, I guess I haven't learned how yet and that's why thing's keep happening to me. I don't know. I do know that I've made it through all this with no alcohol or drug abuse, that's something I guess.

I do agree w/you that negativity attracts like, so I'll take you're advice and keep on keeping on.maybe I'll get this positive attitude to stay.:)

thanks for the advice,
  10. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I'm so sorry for what you are facing with Max. I hope things work out for the best.

I just had a couple of thoughts to share about saving money. I've had to cut way back on expenses these past few years, so I learned a couple of tricks.

Do you have an electric stove? If so, I'd try to use it less. To save on the electric bill, you can make stews and soups in your crockpot. This takes far less electricity. It's also a way to really stretch your grocery budget.

I also suggest using your microwave instead of the stove whenever possible. This too saves electricity.

When we get into warm weather, I'd try to use fans instead of air conditioning. Open windows on warm days and run a fan to circulate the air.

These things can help lower a couple of the bills.

Good luck to you. My thoughts are with you.

11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I pretty much just use the microwave, I can't cook much anymore.

My husband uses the most electrcity and I can't change that, he does work on the computr and has a wall size movie screen in his room that uses a projector, that's what hurt's us, plus he's allway's cold so his room is like a sauna.

he's in entertainment production so it all has to do w/work, so that won't change.

I try not to use the air conditioner much, we need new screen, i get bit like crazy, so does my dog! but i will try to do the fan thing as long as possible, tenn. get's very muggy come july and august.:)

Thnaks for the info,
  12. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the thought's and prayers.
    Like the pillow ideas.:)