Need ideas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Angie812, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

I love to write handwritten letters (not e-mails) to people or send greeting cards, etc, but have no one to send them to. It's kind of depressing. I was wondering if you all had any ideas on how I could do this for people I don't know who maybe don't get mail from anyone. I don't know how to just start randomly. Do I just open the phone book, close my eyes and pick someone? It would be kind of fun to send cards or letters to people all over the place, not just my town. I don't know how to get addresses for our servicemen or anything like that.

Anyway, any ideas?
  2. angelheart

angelheart New Member

There is another on-line organization called ChemoAngels - just google that and you should get their website. It is a volunteer program where you get matched with someone who is undergoing Chemo and you angel them by writing letters, etc. You can be a Traditional Angel which requires you to send gifts also OR a Card Angel where you just send notes/cards. I was a Card Angel for about 2 years. You are not to expect a response from your buddy because it is about them not you. I enjoyed sharing stories about my life, where I live etc. I was lucky and did correspond with my buddy a few time but it was her choice. I am sad to say that my buddy didn't make it in the end, but it was one of the most rewarding things I ever did. Just another idea for you! Good luck and I hope you find the perfect solution for your writing desire!

3. victoria

victoria New Member

I really feel sorry for the elderly who are alone, but I doubt anyone at a nursing home etc nowadays would give out names due to privacy etc, but -- I'd think there would be some way to reach them. Maybe the local council on Aging or similar agency might have some ideas as well?

That's great you can do that... I hate handwriting anything nowadays, and I used to take pride in penmanship lol. But now, give me a typewriter anyday!

all the best,

Aha - just did a quick search and found an online site that would hook you up with nursing home residents who would like to correspond; the only thing they ask is that you commit to 2 handwritten letters per month.

[This Message was Edited on 12/28/2007]
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

There are so many people who do things for others and do not have any acknowledgement. Are you comfortable reading your local newspaper and dashing off a thank you card anonymously? It's true that you will not receive a reply or see the happy look on their face, but wouldn't it be a fun thing to do?

Also, look online for penpal websites that are looking for pen-and-paper writers in other countries. I had a Russian penpal (another woman my age) for about five years before we lost touch. It was really fun to get her letters!
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

From your post, so many people gave ideas of where we all could do something kind for someone. I know all of us wish we could be out in the REAL world doing something helpful to all the less fortunate...if only we could overcome our pain and fatigue. I am going to look into these ideas. I am sure even if I can do one or two a month it would make someone happy.

Thank you for starting this angel chain
  6. amarie_1125

amarie_1125 New Member

next time pay that for the person behind you.
  7. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas. I am excited to start checking into them. I wasn't able to get on the computer for a couple of days, so couldn't respond until now.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!

8. victoria

victoria New Member

up for others...

9. kellyann

kellyann New Member

This sounds like such fun, I am going to check into it too! I also love writing letters by hand and mailing them. You all are great!

Love you all!,
  10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Came to me that a lot of people don't have what it takes to write handwritten letters (including myself). And they seem to mean more in the the age of computers.

Doesn't seem quite in the spirit of things, but I wonder if a personalized letter writing service might be in demand by corporate executives, politicians, specialized marketing companies, etc.

Best of everthing, your mr Bill
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

I've read about such services, altho in the old days it was called a 'secretary' lol -

but seriously, I have read about services that will send "personalized" birthday cards, etc, which usually means a handwritten signature and perhaps also a handwritten sentiment... imho I think most recipients would know it's not personal, tho?!

Nothing like a whole handwritten letter asking about others' well-being and interests, and making friends by talking about common interests. etc...