Need info on Books about FMS / CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AppleDumplin, Mar 18, 2003.

1. AppleDumplin

AppleDumplin New Member

As the spouse of someone with this illness, I want to learn all I can about it. I was wondering if anyone could give me names of books on it so I can make a trip to the bookstore. Any and all will be helpful..Thanks
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Not sure I spelled her name right, but she has articles in our library. In fact, if you go to our library, you can read articles and get a little "taste" of different docs and researchers before buying their books. We have more than 3,000 articles in the library, so you may just want to use this free and informative benefit for quite some time without having to go to the bookstore and spend a lot of money. Also, have you checked your library?

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mikie is right, I have three of Devin Starlanyl's books, do read the articles by all of the authors on the Home page too.
    I also got help from;
    'From Fatigued to Fantastic' by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD.

Here are the books by Devin;

'Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome'
    (A survival Manual)

'Fibraomyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain'
    (A survival Manual) Second Edition

'The Fibromyalgia Advocate'

I have over 20 books on Fibro/CFS, but to me these are the best.

If you are like me, I go to Barns and Nobel, get a cart, fill it up with the books I am interested in, go have a cup of coffee in there and sit and go through the books, then decide what I am going to buy! I also do the 'Books a Million' thing too. Wonderful bookstores.

Hope this helps..................

Shalom, Shirl

4. pearls

pearls New Member

I have about a zillion of the articles printed out, and I've learned much from them, but it is to Devin Starlanyl's books I go when I want to look something up! I can't find my printed out articles half the time, but I can find those big books.

I would think that for a person who wants to help someone with this DD, the place to start would be Dr. Starlanyl's "The Fibromyalgia Advocate." The list price is $19.95, but you can get it for much less online, I'm sure. Here's an outline of the parts of the book:

1) What you need to know about fibromyalgia (FMS) and myofascial pain syndrome (MPS)

2) Your FMS/MPS health care team (She tells you here how to be the manager of this team!)

3) Fighting for your rights

4) Dealing with your world (including family)

5) Arm yourself with documented information

I can't praise this book and Starlanyl's "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain" enough!

-Pearl

5. Shaylee

Shaylee New Member

I was just thinking about you and your husband and wondering how you were both doing? I do not have any book information for you, as I am pretty new to this myself but am learning fast.

I have cut out caffiene, (was told it constricted muscles)
    cut out sugar, exercise even though I die it hurts so bad, rest when I feel as if I need it, and the most important thing I can tell anyone is find a doctor who can combine meds which compliment one another instead of contradicting each other. I eat wheat bread wtih no sugar and soda's for some reason really irritate my symptoms. Doctor gave me 2 mils of Valium to take three x's daily if needed for leg pain, and this has helped tremendously. I have severe sleeping disorder so most of my meds are taken at night because he wants them to work and he knocks me out like a horse but I have no droggy feeling ever.

I hope this helps some.

God Bless,

Shaylee
  6. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

1st of all, that is very cool that you are doing this!
    I purchased 2 books that have helped me:

* Your Personal Guide To Living Well with Fibromialgia - a publication from the Arthritis Foundation

* Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Yeast connection
    by William Crook, M.D. (author of the yeast connection)

I got them off of ebay for about $5.00 each - you can also get them off of half.ebay - on the main web page on ebay you can seee a link - just trying to save you a little money. Good luck with your research!
  7. AppleDumplin

AppleDumplin New Member

Thanks to you all for the list of books. I'm going to try to go to town this weekend and see what I can find. Shaylee...thanks for your concern. We are both hanging in there right now. I know it's hard on him living with something this horrible. The past couple of days have been a nightmare as far as his moods go. I try very hard not to take it personl but sometimes I just can't help it.

I wish I could do something to help him and all of you, but this feeling of helplessness is sometimes more than I can handle. He still works full time but it's getting harder and harder on him everyday. I don't know how much longer he will last with it. When he is at work, that seems to be my "get away" time from it all. I try to clear my head and even sometimes pretend that all this isnt really happening.

Sometimes I wonder if I should see a shrink myself. Reading all your stories and hearing from you all helps so much. I'm still new to this but I want to thank you all for making me feel so at home here.

God Bless you all!!
    Lorie
  8. pearls

pearls New Member

I wish you and your husband all the best as you both struggle with his horrible illness.

Also, thank you for sharing how this affects you. It gives some perspective to what MY husband must be going through, as the spouse of someone with this DD. We don't hear that side, much, since most of our members here are women, and since husbands of sufferers tend not to write or communicate their feelings here. There have been some, but I think I was ready, today, to hear what you have to say (and apply it to my own situation).

Be there for him. Let him do things, but still - be there.

Lots of hugs,
    -Pearl
  9. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I would like to recommend Katrina Berne's newest book, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and Other Invisible Illnesses, published 2002....Most libraries, now, usually carry a big supply of books on our illnesses..
  10. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

There are quite a few Books that can explain, as much a this can be explained, FMS/CFS/MPS, but I think her's are the easiest to read and Understand.
    She does have articles on this sites Library, and if you use your search engine, and type her name in you'll find links to her website.
    It has a lot of Information about these Syndromes, and there are PrintableInformation sheet's that you can keep on hand.
    I have one for each of my Caregiver's, like one for my Rhumotologist, my Orthopedic Surgeon, Neurologist, ect.
    I found the best way for me to Treat my FMS/MPS, was from reading her books and reading the Post's from other Survivors on this board.
    You might try your Local Library, and see if they have any books on their shelves that can help you.

I have co-exisiting conditions, and I found that by treating them, it takes the edge off the FMS, but nothing get's the MPS for very long. But if I can keep my Pain level down, that helps me to sleep. That helps everything, or so the Doctors tell me, ;o)

God Bless you,
    kredca4/sharon
  11. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Are you the AppleDumplin Gang" that was a funny movie, and I thought of it when I saw your first post, but my hand has been in Pain for awhile and I haven't posted as much as usual, but have been reading. So Welcome to our Board.
    We have a Caregiver's forum also here, I don't know if anyone still Posts there or not.
    When they first put up that board, I thought Great now the Hubby will have a place to go and Vent about me and my DD.
    This would be a Good THing, but he never has, sigh.
    I even promised that I wouldn't go over and read, because I felt he needed the peace about saying whatever he wanted, without me getting my feeling's hurt.

Now after 3 years of having a dx and knowing what we are dealing with, life has gotten better for us. It has taken time, and a lot of work. I want to tell you how Wonderful you are to take the time to Help your Hubby, it ain't an easy task some day's, and the problem is it Hurt's both of us at time's.
    Then we, gentely Hug lol, and make up.

Hope you find answer's here also,
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon

sorry mikie meant to hit edit, not make a new post, lol. fibro fog strikes again.