Need Info on Colon Cleansing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 11, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have never done a colon cleansing so was wonder how many of you have and how.

I would like to start with something simple and natural..

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Your colon cleanses itself by exceting solids with some liquid. To speed up that process when we need a colonoscopy, we can purge(get rid of fecal matter more quickly) by using laxatives and enema. If you ever saw the pics of the colon after doing this, you will see that it is totally clean, with no residue coating the outsides at all, contrary to some popular colon cleanse infomercials etc.

Occasionally, besars(hardened fecal matter) form in diverticular pouches, but irrigating the bowel does little to remove them. It would have to be done at colonoscopy time.

A good, healthy diet comprising lots of fruit, veggies and whole grains should make Bm's easy. It is usual for some people to have one every two days and other people have several a day.

This is just my own opinion based on medical film and research, but I really think that all this "cleansing" could be harmful and in some cases people have died by having colon irrigation as the bowel has been perforated.

If in doubt, check with a gastroentologist and they can inform you very well.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.
    Love Anne
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

have a friend however that has C.Difficle sp?...and she has the colon cleansing done every couple of
    weeks. It's the first thing that has kept her from having flare ups so far.

Every time they would give her the laxative before a colonoscopy her problem would clear up. She told her
    doctor this and he said he has been told that by others with her condition but he refused to prescribe the laxative as a preventative. So she went and found a place that does the cleansings. Since then she's been fine.

I know people who believe in them are very sold on them and no amount of logic or medical "proof" will change their minds however. So I think it might be one of those leave it to the individual to decide issues.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

GET ALL THE INFO YOU ARE ABLE TO AND THEN MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP, I AM PROBABLY BIASED AS TWO PEOPLE I KNOW GOT PERFORATED BOWELS, SO DO WHAT YOU THINK BEST, AFTER ALL I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

GOOD LUCK LOVE ANNE
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your input.
    I don't want to go the enema type route have read about it and I wouldn't have the nerve..Just wanted something on the diet and fiber order..

I don't think I am having problems but heard on TV that a colon cleanse could help some of my symptoms..

Thanks Wendy, I did go into search and found some interesting info..I think I will just stick with diet and the natural fibers..

God BLess,
    greatgran
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Wondering what happen to your post on lemon and aloe...I received that it had been sent but its not here...

greatgran
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Could a laxative be a colon cleanser?
    Sorry, but I am confused as usual..
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The best thing to do is eat a healthy diet with at least 5 fruits/veggies per day and drink lots of water. The colon cleanses itself.

You can supplement with yogart or a yogart drink once in a while to add a probiotic to make sure that you have the right amount of healthy bacteria in the colon, that's important for digestion. This is especially important if you take or will be taking antibiotics as antibiotics kill the flora in the bowel.

If you have irritated bowel and have frequent bouts of constipation, try prune juice - I love it - or eat prunes. The main thing is to drink a lot of water, expecially now that the weather will be warming up.

If constipation continues, add a bulk type laxative - nothing to really "stimulate" bowel movement.

I would check with your doctor if food rememdies, "bulk type" lax's, and increasing water doesn't help with constipation.

I have IBS and have constipation at times, so I understand the problems all too well!

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I think lemon and aloe juice would help you in the morning about 1 tablespoon. I think that's safe and it's a good cleaner. It's not spendy either. I'm hitting all the wrong buttons today.lol Take care
    Dee50
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Does Aloe Juice act as a laxative?
    Thanks
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Where do your purchase aloe juice?

This is off topic, but thought I would ask..Where do you purchase cherry juice or the cherries to eat, the ones that help with gout etc..?

Thanks and God Bless,
    greatgran
  12. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

A laxative will only get rid of the soft fecal matter in the colon, while a real cleanser that is designed to get rid of muciod plaque will shift the hard fecal matter that lines the colon. It is not a good idea to go for regular colonics as it will wash out all the good bacteria from the colon; also not a good idea to take a laxative on a regular basis, as most of them draw out fluid to make the stools soft, Picolax and other medical laxatives will do this. If you do take them drink plent of water. For a good over the counter colon cleanse go for Rise and Shine, then after you have done it make shure that you take probiotics to replenish the good bacteria: try HLC Synbiotic Intensive. I went on a colon cleanse and two week fast last year, with the advice of my nutritionalist and was very pleased with the results. If you want to kick start the immune system it's a great way to do it. My sinus condition digestive conditons cleared up after a few days.
  13. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Good morning ladies,
    PVLady- I don't know if aloe is a laxative but I can tell you it works great for me personaly, if I take about 1 tablespoon in the morning and sometimes one in the afternoon. It moves the mucus out of my body. The lemon is a big helper too. The lemon moves out the mucus in my nose. I eat frozen dark cherries also about 8 to 10 of them at a time, less sugar than the juicies.

Greatgran- Aloe juice I think Fred Myer's carries it. I like Lily of the desert aloe vera juice with pulp (lemon-lime). They have cherry juice too (in the organic section) but any dark cherry juice works if you don't want all the sugar that's in juices you can buy frozen dark cherries. They are my favorite.lol with a little dark choc. on them. The canned dark cherries taste very bad to me, they taste like metal so I don't use them.

Well that's my get things moving and keep them moving deal.lol Plus the cherries realy do help me with the pain. Prunes don't work as well as cherries for me they do nothing for my pain but warm prune juice works better than just eating prune. Make sure you drink plenty of water daily. I have to make myself drink water.

You guys have a wonderful day today,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]