Need Info on Dr.'s in NYC that Treat CFS and take insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by safiri, Jun 5, 2006.

1. safiri

safiri New Member

I am new to this board. I have been looking for a Dr. located in the NYC, NJ area that specializes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I presently have Oxford health care and am finding that many of the doctors do not take my insurance. This ofcourse puts me between a rock and a hard place, pay out of pocket and hope to get help or remain sick because I can't afford the out-of-pocket expense.

I would really appreciate any information you can give me.

All the best,

2. victoria

victoria New Member

looking up in the 'purple' headers for the 'doctors'? There are lists there... you can also use the search box up above for this site.

Hopefully more people will see this later, too!

And -- welcome to the board!

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  3. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I would like to recommend Dr. Yurkovsky. Dr. Yurkovsky has developed a treatment called Field Control Therapy (FCT®). He is located in Chappaqua, NY (somewhere north of New York City). It is an alternative therapy used to treat a variety of illnesses.

The following is from another website:
    FCT® is the result of years of research by Savely Yurkovsky, M.D. He developed it because of his frustration with conventional medicine. He found that modern medicine is able to control the symptoms of most health problems, but not reverse them. Over time, most patients seeing conventional doctors develop more medical problems requiring more and more pills often with side effects. He wanted to find a way to restore health so that over time they would have fewer medical problems and need less or no medications.

He first tried herbs and vitamins, but the results were inconsistent. He studied other sciences, including Nobel prize winning physics, toxicology, and alternative medicine to look for answers. He discovered international research linking toxins, especially mercury, to medical problems. He tested his own patients and found that nearly 100% of them were toxic with mercury and other poisons. When he gave treatments that removed mercury, their medical problems gradually reversed. He found the same results in virtually all medical problems whether it was hypertension, diabetes, fatigue, arthritis, or fibromyalgia. He concluded that mercury and other toxins were the root cause of most disease.

Dr. Yurkovsky found that vitamins, herbs, and chelation were inconsistent because they were not powerful enough to remove all of the toxins from the body. Using knowledge from physics, he developed a more powerful form of homeopathy to remove toxins.

Homeopathy is a 200-year-old system that uses energy signals to communicate with the organs in the body. No physical substances or chemicals are used at all. Homeopathy is not popular in the U.S., but it is used by hundreds of thousands of doctors around the world. Keep in mind that the homeopathy used in FCT® is far more advanced than that used by other homeopaths.

As an analogy, think of the body as a tree. If the soil is poisoned, then the leaves will turn brown. A conventional doctor would prescribe medication from pharmaceutical companies to try to make the leaves turn green. However, once the medication is stopped, the leaves turn brown again. In FCT, a practitioner would clean the soil and the leaves turn green by themselves.

Many patients around the world, including medical doctors, seek Dr. Yurkovsky’s care as a “last resort” because he has been able to help most people who could not be helped by conventional or alternative medical care.
    End of article.

I see a doctor in Georgia who trained under Dr. Yurkovsky and he said Dr. Yurkovsky is great. Do a google search for Dr. Savely Yurkovsky and then click on his website. His phone number is at the bottom of the pages.

My doctors website is drdaveou dot com which explains Field Control Therapy (FCT) a little better. It also lists everything that can be treated with FCT.

You would need to follow a candida yeast diet (no sugar).

I don't know what insurance he takes.

I have a post titled Field Control Therapy if you want to read it. I give an update from each treatment.

Good luck in finding a doctor who takes your insurance,
  4. PGWS

PGWS New Member

I never went to her but she has been recommended to me by an OBGYN. Her name is Dr. Susan Levine in NYC 67th & Lex 212-472-4816. She is on top of the research for CFS, but everything she does I have already tried via many other doctors in NY, NJ, CT, in addition to Homeopathic, Nutrition, Naturlopath (can't spell), Vitamins etc. I find the non traditional doctors are big rip-offs,telling you they will cure you then testing and selling everything in the book to you so they can make money and give you false hope (I won't mention any names).
    Not sure what insurance she takes. There is also Dr. Ben Natelson in Newark NJ, but his situation is not very personal and his practice in the hospital is very disorganized, but he does keep up with the research on CFS.

I am at the point of desperate, willing to be a ginny pig, so I am going down to North Carolina
    to see Dr Lapp/Dr. Black to possibley get treated with Ampligen, a drug for CFS which is not yet approved by the FDA, but certain doctors are allowed to administer it. It is very expensive, Dr. Levine does not administer it.
    I am very scared, but my options are running out and I have no support system.
    In Stamford, CT I go to a wonderful caring doctor. His name is Dr. Michael Doyle. He does his best to work with you and tries very hard to at least relieve some of the symptons and combines traditional and non traditional medicine. He does not take insurance.

Hope this helps
  5. brooklynbred

brooklynbred New Member

Hello All…

Just to send up/out a RED FLAG to say that Dr. Benjamn Natelson is a horror show! I just had the unfortunate and costly experience of going to him in desperation thinking that he was finally the answer. He has just written a book about CFS and he practically quotes himself in the "90 minute" consultation costing $750! Then he proceeds to tell you that "if he smells depression" he likes to take out a sledgehammer and stamp it out FIRST before treating the CF. (he's a neurologist so I should have KNOWN he's be trigger happy with the brain/depression thing…same old same old. So he out me on EMSAM (an MAOI drug) which I found out after pricing runs a cool $600/month! So I called him (he's impossible to reach) and insisted he reconsider the pill form (Selegiline) which is pennies on the dollar. I swore I wouldn't take any more anti-depressants because I have HORRIBLE side effects from them. Well, I tried it, and sure enough I felt 10x more crappy! I told him at the $750 session that if all he was doing was giving me a anti-depressant, there was NO difference between him and a Psychiatrist (he didn't like that a bit) Well, it's true! THEN he says, WITHOUT EVEN THE BENEFIT OF HAVING TESTED ME FOR CORTISOL, "do you want to try a month of Hydrocortisone?" This dude is totally wacked! Run don't walk if you're even considering him unless you want to kiss your money bye-bye and get an MAOI in return!
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

dr. derek enlander in manhattan. i hate levine but if you have no other choice and can handle her horrible bedside manner, i would still go to her.
  7. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I am very impressed with Dr. Levine. First and foremost, she CHARGES REASONABLE RATES that will get you reimbursed by your insurance (I think the first visit was $225 and subsequent ones $150 or so).

A lot of people don't like the fact that she is not very optimistic. Still, what she tells you is the truth--look at how small the percentage is on this board that have seen even 70% recovery. I would rather be told that AT THIS TIME recovery is unlikely than be led on by the "80% success rate" that is championed by the chopshops. Good scientists are pessimists--that's a fact.

First visits of $500-$1000 are absolutely outrageous. Yet, doctors can get away with it because so few treat this illness.

With regard to Dr. Natelson, I told him that the docs that had found nothing had suggested I was depressed. He responded that he didn't think so in the least, and did not attempt to treat me in that fashion whatsoever. His approach was with stimulants--which worked for me, but only over a very short time period. He also did not charge nearly as much as you reported, although this was three years ago.

The bottom line is that none of them has an answer right now, as this illness is still very mysterious. I have been to them all, and nothing had helped me except for neurofeedback--and even that was very short lived.
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

dr. lerner has an 80% success rate (80% improve) and he is ANYTHING but a chopshop.
  9. badge53nj

badge53nj New Member

I also see Dr. Levine and I do not have a problem with her or her bedside manner. I have been ill for over 10 years and have been told by my doctors that I will not get better. I have CFIDS/FM and the diagnosis was confirmed by Dr. Levine.
    When I started to see Dr. Levine she did not tell me that I will not get better. She stressed that I may try to expand my limitations.
    I also live in the NYC area and one suggestion was to take a cab home instead of the subway. I was exhausted walking from Hunter College to her office and was also very confused. Dr. Levine saw my physical state and said I made an attempt.

I read many of us making attempts in our own ways. As for now that is all that I have. I am 59 years old and have been ill with other problems for the better part of my life. I had to do for myself and struggled to do so.

best to all, EE
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i've been sick for 15 years. i went, at great expense, to NYC to see levine.

she spoke to me for a few minutes. when i told her i had been sick 12 years (at the time it had been over 13 years but i miscalculated), she flippantly said i could not recover. she almost seemed to chuckle at the notion.

she gave me a shot of b12 and that was it.

i had to pester her office for weeks to even get her to agree to give me my test results over the phone (which she had agreed to do). even when i made an appt for a phone consultation, she rudely told me she did not have the results in front of her and acted like she was being bothered.

after more pestering, she sent me a short letter telling me to try nexavir and if that didn't work, antibiotics.

i have never been so disgusted by a doctor in my entire life.

unless she has changed, i would go to levine ONLY if i had NO other choice. in my opinion, you would be better off making your way to detroit to see dr. lerner, who takes bluecross and medicare.

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2008]