need info on lamictal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherrieTeacup, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SherrieTeacup

SherrieTeacup New Member

My doctor wants me to try it to help my mood and a pain doctor said it would help with pain. My question is to anyone who uses it for pain or mood and how long to you have to take it before you can tell if it is working for you. My sister inlaw said she takes it for her mood and its takes about three to four weeks to work

Sherrie
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Sherri
    I was recently prescribed Lamictal. Previously I had been on a low dose of Lexapro - not really even for depression ( never really depressed) but more for low level anxiety (worrier than I am).
    Of course, life events and Fibro had caused me to be crying a lot, feeling quite low, hence the new med.
    I definitely noticed a difference - noticable once I got to the dose that you need to be at the optimal results.
    The titration has to be slow. You do start at a relatively low dose for two weeks, then up for two more, it probably took 6 weeks.
    Although I noticed a difference a little before that. 3-4 weeks might be about right - but any other med takes a couple of weeks as well.
    I still 'feel' emotions etc. - just not crying, not feeling so hopeless etc. I mean I really realized it.

For me the only side effect was when I upped my dose each time, I'd get a headache for a couple of days.

Definitely don't miss a dose - not for 3 days in a row, or you have to start all over again!

I'd recommend trying it.
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I take it for depression and tolerate it well. My doctor says to be aware of a rash as a side effect though. If you get a rash, even a mild one, be sure to tell your doctor. Lamictal did not help with pain, but everyone is different. (I take Guaifenesin for that which helps a lot.)

I can't remember how long it took for me to feel better because I've taken Lamictal for several years, but if memory serves correctly I think I started noticing a marginal improvement in the first week or two and then felt a complete, therapeutic improvement after maybe after 6 to 8 weeks. It depends on dosaging too.

Also, Lamictal comes in a generic form called Lamotrigine. It's cheaper and for me works just as well as Lamictal. It's a high-quality generic. You might check with your doc on that. I hope it works for you! Good luck.

All the best,

Erika