Need info on neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kac1960, Aug 25, 2005.

1. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

I went to see pain management Dr. yesterday , I've beeen having alot of back pain, sore, stiff and swelling feet ankles and legs, I am currently taking cyclobezeprine, which was not helping at all, I cannot take pain meds they make me ill. Well anyway he chgd my rx to neurontin, I'm not familiar with this at all would apprecieate any info on it.

Thanks Kathy
  2. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi: I've been on Neurontin for about6-8mos. to me it is a miracle drug. It was originally designed for Epilepsy like so many of the drugs that work for FMS/CFIDS. I had terrible shooting electric pains in my legs.

One of my first sx of Fibro was leg pain and I mean pain, I would say within the first 2 days of taking Neurontin the pains went away. My PCP started me out slow 300mg at bed and now I'm up to 1200mg at bed.

The good thing about this drug is you can take really large doses of it if you need it, but I've been at this dose for a long while now, but if I start getting those pains again I can add another 300mg.

The off label use for this is for Neuropathic Pain, the other poster is right there is a ton of info on this here as a lot of people are on it.

good luck,

gail
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I have been taking this for 6 years. It is originally used to control seizures but is used to control pain caused by nerves. I was sleepy when I first started taking it but we adjusted the dose and I have not had problems. Some people on the board have complained of weight gain but I have not experienced this.

Kelly
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

I have been on Neurontin, but not for FM. For me, it is supposed to help slow things down between synapses in the brain, I think, to help even out emotions. It is supposed to help give me just "that much more" time to think about what I am about to say or do out of reaction. Therefore, it seems to make sense that it would slow down too much activity between synapses in the brain. Helping sleep, helping pain, etc.? It can be used to help sleep, too.

I stopped taking one in the morning because I would be groggy driving the 40 miles to work. I have been taking all 3 (900mg) at night, hoping it would help sleep, especially since I am trying to get used to a CPAP. At first, I would be groggy after an hour or two, but that effect has worn off.

As with any med, it's hard to tell what will work with any one person.
  5. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

It's a relatively benign drug - reasonably safe, and the most common side effect is drowsiness, which goes away after a little while. Sometimes it can take high doses [up to 3600mg] to be effective but when it works, it really works well.
    Also, if you take morphine or Vicodin, it works with them to enhance the pain-relieving effect.
    You can do a Google search for more specific info.

Char
  6. Jodi_B

Jodi_B New Member

I've found that Medline.com and rxlist.com both have really good info. on drugs.

Good luck and God Bless!

j.
  7. joisey

joisey New Member

Neurontin has helped me for the last yr. I'm on 600mg 2xd but can take another 600mg if needed. It has helped me w/occipital nerve pain going through my head and face. It has also helped w/numbness in my hand. I had slight dizziness when I first started it. You are able to take up to 2400mg. if needed.