Need Info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Eightieslady, May 21, 2003.

1. Eightieslady

Eightieslady New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the board. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Degenerative Disk & Joint Disease about 3 years ago. I have a question for anyone who has had Shingles. How has Shingles effected your Fibromyalgia symptoms? I'm not sure, but think I may have Shingles. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling really lousy. My pain level shot out of control to the point where my hydrocodone would not work with my usual dosage. I went for my usual checkup and both the doctor and I thought I had built up a tolerance to the hydrocodone, so he switched me to a new stronger medication called Panlor SS. I have a place on my shoulder that will not heal up. At first I thought it was an infected hair folicle or insect bite. It was terribly sore & when I squeezed it a lot of watery stuff came out like a blister. Since then I have more bumps on my shoulder with sometimes burning pain and a lot of itching. Since my brother-in-law recently had shingles & I learned some of the symptoms associated with it, it has dawned on me that this place on my shoulder and the horrible increase in pain occured at about the same time. I did not mention my shoulder problem to the doctor at the checkup, because as I said, I thought it was not important and would go away. Now I'm wondering if it is shingles, could it have been the cause of the pain shooting out of control and maybe not a tolerance to the hydrocodone as we thought? I'm hoping someone out there can advise me on this from their own experience. Thank you.

Eightieslady
  2. bakron

bakron New Member

“Shingles” is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox. If you have ever had chickenpox, you can get shingles as it occurs in people who have had chickenpox and represents a reactivation of the dormant varicella-zoster virus.

The first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots, usually on the side of the trunk or face. The rash develops into small, fluid-filled blisters that begin to dry out and crust over within several days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain.

Contact with a person, such as your brother-in-law, who has shingles may cause chickenpox (but not shingles) in someone who has never had chickenpox.

It would be good for you to see your physician, as there are antiviral drugs that will help. I hope that you feel better soon. Take care.

Jeannette
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Eightieslady! What a nice name. Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

I do believe Jeannette explained the whole thing with shingles! I learned a lot from her post myself.

I have never had Chickenpox, or any childhood disease. The connection between the two is amazing!

Sure hope you get some help for that soon, I have heard that Shingles are very painful.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Eightieslady

Eightieslady New Member

Thank you Jeannette for the info & Shirl, I'm glad to be here. I did have chicken pox when I was younger, so guess it could be Shingles. Am to see my doctor on Friday. Guess that could have caused my pain level to spiral out of control, HUH? Maybe I'll be able to go back to the hydrocodone when I'm better. Sure hope so, because I sure can't afford the Panlor SS along with my other meds (Prilosec, Effexor, & Pravachol) each month. I'll have to stop taking some of the others if I must keep taking the Panlor SS.

Thanks again.

Eightieslady