Need knee surgery - afraid its going to flare up my fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suemp, Aug 28, 2005.

1. suemp

suemp New Member

Going to orthopedic doctor tomorrow to scedule much needed knee surgery. Being pushed into it as my hubby is getting ready to retire in a year or so and we have good health coverage now. I'm so afraid it's going to cause a flare up with my fibro - I have a terrible time getting my legs moving after sleeping all night so I wonder how I'm going to manage after the surgery. Anyone else gone through knee surgery? suemp
  2. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I just finished a series of three knee injections with Synvisc. It is a gel that is like the fluid in the knee and is given to people who need a knee replacement who are not ready. It is suppose to last for 8 to 12 months and then you can get it again, no side effects.

My knee is feeling better, I will get the other one done also.

Insurance does factor into your situtation, not sure what I would do. I am mentally not ready for one.

Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.

Granny
  3. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

When I had the surgery, it did not flare me up.I think part of the key was that I came home and slept, and madesure that I slept A TON the entire week.

Also, knee surgery is really short, as far as time goes. Make sure you are really dilligent about your physical therapy, and don't take things too fast of too slow. If you go too slow or too fast, you cause problems for yourself. This is one of those times that it is crucial to listen to your body.

TS
  4. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

Hi, I have not had knee surgery, but did have back surgery three years ago, ruptured disc. My fm went wild the night following the surgery. I had the nurses put heated pads around my entire body. I was alreday on a morphine iv, the heat helped. One nurse said it flared due to the stress of thinking about the surgery, pain, and being "put under" so deeply. So talk with your dr about the fm before your surgery. And see if he will order some heating pads or what ever. I am assuming you will be in the hospital over night. Good luck
    RRSbaby
  5. Carle55

Carle55 New Member

I had both knees replaced 3 years ago. one in Jan and one in June. My insurance ended June the 30th.
    I always tell everyone IT'S A TOUGH SURGERY, but well worth in the longrun. Count weeks instead of days. You'll see improve week by week. You will be amazed at how well you are going to feel. It should improve your FM. Knee pain can be horrible. Therpy is important. The first knee surgery I went to physical therist. Did not go for 2nd but did my own therapy at home. I must say knee surgery was the bet thing I could have ever done for myself. It's made such a difference in my lifestyle.
    Good Luck and just be brave....carle