need makeup advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sjogrens, Feb 24, 2006.

1. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

I was wondering if anyone could recomend a face foundation or base that would be dewy and moiturizing. My face is so dry now. Everything dries it out. I tried bare essentials and it made me look very dry. Even a tint face lotion would work. I was also wondering if there was a moisturizing face powder someone could recomend.
    Thanks
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Do you use a moisturizer under your makeup foundation? I'm a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant and that is the first thing I do is to use a freshener and then a moisturizer. Then I use Creme to Powder foundation, but I have combo skin.

For dry skin a cream foundation would be better for you. You may want to contact a Mary Kay consultant as if you aren't happy you get your money back. They have cream foundations. I'm sure other companies do too.

The cream foundations are for drier skin and I'd use a good moisturizer for dry skin as well.

I don't sell Mary Kay anymore, I just use it myself.

I've been using Mary Kay for so long, I don't know the OTC brands and what they have now.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]
  3. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

Mary Kay formula one for my severely dry skin. I've been very happy with the moisture it provides, and I love the coverage! I've used it for the last 10 yrs.

God Bless! cakeart
  4. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

Mary Kay formula one for my severely dry skin. I've been very happy with the moisture it provides, and I love the coverage! I've used it for the last 10 yrs.

God Bless! cakeart
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

But I've been telling them for years,water,water and more water.I splash it on my face every chance I get.

I use max factor permawear to smooth the blotchiness and because it has a sunscreen in it.Again,water,It helps fibro and your body is 80% water,Linda
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I am upping my water and including more good oils in my diet (thanks to everyone's suggestions). We'll see if that helps.

But, in the mean time, I use Perscriptives foundation for dry skin (maybe called age-defying??). It has a fresh light feel and has sunscrean in it. I also use their liquid powder which is very moisturizing.

I still stuggle with dryness and am looking for some good cleansing products and moisturizers but am pretty happy with the foundation.

I also recently posted for skin advice and got some good suggestions - you might want to check it out.

Good luck!

Sofi
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I use her products and find they are the best for moisture and non irritating. When I run out, (of product and/or money!)I like Dove moisturizers.

I buy them from the Shopping Channel here in Canada, but I think you can go to the website to get it.

8. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't have any advice for the type of foundation that you are using; however, I do for an excellent moisturizing cream for sensitive skin. It is Cetaphil cream--it's in a white jar with a white & green label, if I remember correctly. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for around $11.00 for a big jar. It is also for sale in many Dermatologist's offices. My dermatologist is who recommended it for me for my dry face.

If you use a good moisturizer underneath your makeup, I'm sure it would work well with a cream foundation that you find for dry skin.

And ... like everyone says, drink lots of water, too.

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I agree with jlh .. you can drink water till the cows come home .. no offence Storm .. but a good moisturizer is a MUST and it doesn't have to be expensive .. it may take a few different "try outs" ..
    I have had dry skin since I was a kid .. I first used "Jergens" of all things .. loved that scent .. almond ? ... in any case .. try out a few, there are some good suggestions on here ... you will know which one is right for you .. it will feel GOOD ! Then the foundation that is meant for dry skin will apply well .. I use the Revlon .. and for now it works ..
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  10. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Have you tried the foundation/powder combinations? I find they leave my skin feeling very soft & dewy even when I don't use moisturizer underneath (they also work well on top of moisturizing lotions). My favourite is Cover Girl True Cover - it's very nice. God bless, Anne Theresa
  11. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Thank you for all the great advise I am trying everything.
    Sjorgrens
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have horrible dry skin and I definitely need to drink more water. I hate that my make up looks cracked and seems to sit in each pore on my face.

My worst problem though is my lips... what do you guys use for dry, cracked lips?

Tigger
  13. shelbo

shelbo New Member

and pick out the bits that are useful to you ....esp. the bit on Jane Iredale pressed powder :) For very dry skin (I'm assuming it's your face you're talking about) Dr. Hauschka rose cream is the best you can get I think (as long as you are ok with plant ingredients/ botanicals etc as it has a very high rose oil content). You can buy a little sample of it for £3 in the UK...full price is £16 for 30ml but a little goes a long way. I have also found Jurlique Day Care Face Cream very helpful..again lots of plant extracts but immensely moisturising. If you use toner, STOP! Just dampen a cotton pad or two with tepid water and remove residual cleaners that way...way may effective, gentle and cheaper too!! For a cleanser I use (all over my face) Kiehl's Supremely Gentle Eye Makeup Remover (hope I'm still ok with it...they just changed the formula and it took me two years to find a non-irritating eye make up remover!)....Kiehl's do sample, so ring your nearest counter. When using it on my eyes I apply it to damp cotton wool first as I find it too oily otherwise!

Instead of Prescriptives make up have you considered a mineral makeup eg Jane Iredale? It is very good...I use the pressed since the loose goes everywhere when you try to apply it and it irritated my eyes for that reason. the pressed is a little more expensive but goes on like a dream with a cosmetic sponge. It is touted as being ok for post-laser skin, dry skin, oily skin etc as the ingredients are inert minerals. You only need a little bit and you don't need a lot of moisturiser under it. What's more, it provides a natural sunblock of about spf17!

Don't use overly warm water on your face or eyes or the rest of your body as it is drying!

Up the water intake to 3 litres a day (the natural sort with no strange flavouring, sweeteners etc) and think about taking a fish oil supplement or if you dislike that, flaxseed oil! Incorporate soome oil-rich healthy foods into your diet too: oily fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines; avocadoes; olive oil etc. Organic milk and eggs also contains moderate levels of omega 3 oils.

If your skin is very dry and it hasn't always been you could have a slight allergy to the makeup or moisturiser you're using now. Or you could have seborrheic dermatitis where the skin is actually fairly oily but the oil dries on the surface of he skin causing what appears to be dryness and inflammation (it gives the impression of dry, flaky skin that also feels a little slimy...the temptation is always to add moisturiser but it actually feeds the problem). I have this and was advised after cleansing my face with a mild cleanser to rinse in tepid water 30 times...this is a natural exfoliator and then moisturise once. Your skin may feel tighter for the first few days but bear with it....at least a week till you're sure it's absolutely not working for you.

Drinking extra water, adding healthy oils to your diet and more fruit and veg (and cutting right back on the sugar which fuels inflammation as do saturated fats in red meats and fast food) will help, I think. It should also really help your eyes!! There is a supplement called HydroEye (I think that's the name...do a web search) which is aimed at dry eye. You do have to take it for a while before you see results.

Stress reduction and better sleep will help because relaxation and deep sleep is restorative...easier said than done though, eh? :) Try to get a little fresh air every day!

BTW, what makeup can you use on your dry eyes...I'd love to know?

PS Hope you get this message as it was originally posted a while back...just saw it and hoped I could help...

Sorry if you already know a lot of it!

Sjogrens...hope some of this helped you....I know you only wanted makeup advice but I thought it worth posting the whole thing again..there may be other helpful bits you can glean from it... :) BTW, you can often get Jane Iredale stuff more cheaply on e-bay so it's worth a look sometimes.
  14. shelbo

shelbo New Member

but I do not have the same problem with Jane Iredale (the pressed is better than the loose in my opinion though as the loose stuff can get everywhere....it caused my eyes to itch furiously...and I didn't realise it was the cause for months! The pressed is much easier to control. Also, mineral makeup is fairly tricky to get the hang of...you need very little or it can cake and look like a mask. Applied with a light hand it looks beautiful and seems to keep moisture locked in! My skin does not dry out with this on! I think I have Sjogrens but one test showed borderline and my ophthalmologist refused to retest. BTW, can you wear eye makeup...mascara etc...if so, which brand? Thanks, Shelbo
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  15. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Tigger,
    I use the Mary Kay Sun Essentials Lip Protection Sunblock. Okay, you can use Chapstick or any of those.

I really don't have dry or cracked lips. We run a console humidifier here in the winter and that helps a lot.

I really do like the Mary Kay products though. lol

Hugs,
    Faye
  16. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi Sjogrens!

I have really dry skin and have tried all kinds over the years.The best thing I have found is:-
    Vaseline Intensive Care.....it is a hypo-allergenic and fragrance free dermatological lotion for dry and sensitive skin.
    My face feels like a babys bum now lol.
    It is as old as the hills and works wonderfully!!It is so gentle and non greasy that it just smoothes all the dry skin away.
    And good old normal Vaseline for the lips ....you cant get any better!It does not cost the earth either so give it a try.

Rena
  17. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Sometimes my face is so dry and flaky that I wash it with a cream cleanser and then put "Bag Balm" on it. I let it sit for a minute and then wipe it off with a warm face cloth. Then I apply my regular moisturizer.

Bag Balm it wonderful stuff, in my opinion.

Tigger
  18. shelbo

shelbo New Member

if you can afford it...it's very expensive but is really thick and goes a long, long way!
    It is mostly natural ingredients (which are listed ont eh website) and contains a very high percentage of meadowfoam oil...it does has some essential oils in too but they don't seem to bother me....check it out. You know we can't post URLS here but you know most URLS end .com and the co. is called Fresh if you wanna look it up - hope that's not bending the rules too much! :)
    Love Shelbo
  19. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

My dd told me about a makeup line called Vital Radiance. If you go to their website and answer a few questions, they will send you free samples so you can try it to see if you like it without actually shelling out any $$$. DD loves the samples she got and says that they matched her colors amazingly well. The samples arrive by mail in something like 5-7 days, pretty quick. I didn't try it b/c almost every makeup I've ever tried has irritated my skin. Maybe I will -- free is a good price! :p

Mar

PS -- Should have answered this part (I plead "fibro fog"); she also has dry skin and says it's works very nicely for that particular problem.[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2006]
  20. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I swear by the Bare Escentuals line. If it made you look very dry I wonder if you don't need to start trying to moisturize your face from the inside out. The Bare Minerals should make you look moist and dewy. Just my 2 cents worth!

Linda