need medicine & health care but can't afford it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DragonladyOhio, Dec 30, 2003.

1. DragonladyOhio

DragonladyOhio New Member

Um, as the title says, I need medicine & health care but can't afford it. Short version of post: Any ideas on how to get free health care? If you want my history, read on.

I became disabled with fibro and other back problems 9 months ago. After 3 months, I was fired from my job because I was disabled (no I can't sue them, it was in the contract). I didn't really understand what I had or what I needed to do in order to get SSI in the first 3 months, so my doctors had not done many tests, and wrote scant notes if any. I was never truly diagnosed with FM (she said I had it, but didn't write it down). The MRIs showed I have DDD, scoliosis, 2 herniated discs in my neck, but the neurologist said the radiologist misread the MRI and there was nothing wrong with me. They also confirmed from an EMG that I didn't have carpal tunnel. So, in short, all I have for records is that I have scoliosis and general myofascial pain. Obviously not enough for a case. Since then I have had no health insurance so I haven't been able to go to a Dr. The lawyers refuse to take my case because I have no proof. My boyfriend was kind enough to pay for my pain meds, but I've developed a tolerance and they don't work at all anymore. All I have left is Zanaflex (muscle relaxant), and I have to take a quintuple dosage for it to help at all, and I'm knocked out and can't do anything then. So I save it for when I'm in real pain...which is once or twice a day now.

I've asked people at my support group for ideas, and I've checked out their suggestions, and nothing works. I need to get many tests done, I need a higher dose of pain meds (or different kind), and I need to have a real diagnosis made. I can't get proof w/o Medicaid, and I can't get Medicaid w/o proof. Catch-22. I'm really sorry this is so long, but I had to explain the situation so people would understand it. Any ideas on how to get free health care? My boyfriend is willing to pay some, but no more than 200$ or so. (oh, I've also tried the catholic institutions in my area and it's a negative).

Thanks, Linda
  2. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

Talk privately with a female agent and explain what is going on. If it is not documented anywhere that you have physical problems you may have luck and get a reasonable policy with drug benefits.

I can't because of all of the documentation, so I'm stuck with COBRA. not stuck, I am extremely grateful for it, but my original period runs out in June and even if SSDI finds my disability began within 2 month b/4 or after I left my job, then I can get an extra (I think) 11 months, but at 150% more than current premium. I'm going to have to try to get on hubby's insurance policy.

Regarding medication, do a search for Free Medication. One poster wrote a huge list of all the companies that participate FOR FREE MEDS, YES, FREE. There was another post by a guy who lost everything and discovered the Free Medication program. It's called something else and he tells you how to request the form to fill out. Have you checked into SSI which is based on family income and I think you would be eligible for Medicaid, a monthly support check, food stamps, etc. You can do all this and then apply for SSDI.

Yes there is help out there, but you've got to do some research.

3. PrayerWarrior316

PrayerWarrior316 New Member

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this.

Here is a list of Free Medication Programs for Low Income People.
    Call the Pharmaceutical company that makes the medication that you need and get them to send you an application and take that application to your doctor and let him fill it out. Then send the application back in to the company along with a perscription for you meds and they will send you your meds FREE OF CHARGE. I have used this program lots of times and they have truly been a life saver for me.

I'm sorry that I can't give you anymore advice, But I hope that this list will help you.

Many Blessings to you, Judy

Percocet: Patient Assistance prog. b800-474-2762

Percodan & Percocet by Dupont

Morphine Sulfate by Astra USA

MS Contin Purdue Frederick Co.

Tylox by Ortho-McNeil Pharma.

Roxane Laboratories Inc. Free

3M Pharmaceuticals
    (800) 328-0255
    Products include: Most drug products sold by 3M
    Allergan, Inc.
    Allergan Patient Assistance Program
    c/o Judy McGee, Physician Services Representative
    2525 Dupont Drive,
    Irvine, CA 92713
    Products include: Betagen, Botox, Pilagan, Epifrin

Alza Pharmaceuticals
    (415) 962-4243

Products include: Testoderm, Ocusert, Progestasert

(800) 272-9376
    Products include:
    Epogen, Neupogen Astra USA, Inc.
    (800) 488-FAIR (488-3247)
    Products include:
    Foscavir injection

Baxter Healthcare Corporation
    (800) 423-2090
    Products include:
    A Patient Assistance Program is being developed for Gammagard S/D and should
    be ready in about 3-4 months.

Bayer Corporation
    (800) 998-9180
    Products include:
    Mycelex and several other products

Berlex Laboratories
    (800) 473-5832,
    (800) 888-4112
    Products include:
    Betapace, Betaseron for SC injection, Fludara, Quinaglute Dura-Tabs

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    (800) 556-8317
    Products include:
    All products covered except controlled substances

Boots Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    Boots Cares Program
    300 Tri-State International Center
    Suite 200
    Lincolnshire, IL 60069-4415
    Attn: Sandy Bauco
    Products include:
    Synthroid tablets

Bristol Myers Oncology
    (800) 272-4878
    Products include:
    Bicnu, Blenoxane, Ceenu, Cytoxan, Hydrea, Ifex/Mesna, Lysodren, Megace, Mutamycin, Paraplatin, Platinol, Rubex, Taxol, Vepesid

Ciba-Geigy Corporation
    (800) 257-3273,
    (800) CHIRON-8 (245-7668)
    Products include:
    Aredia, Cytadren, Actigall, Anafranil, Anturane, Apresazide, Apresoline, Brethaire, Brethine, Cataflam, Desferal, Esidrix, Esimil, Estraderm, Habitrol, Ismelin, Lamprene, Lioresal, Lopressor, Lopressor/HCT Lotensin, Lotensin/HCT, Ludiomil, PBZ, Regitine, Rimactane, Ser-Ap-Es, Slow-K, Tegretol, TEN-K, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM, Transderm-Scop, Transdermal-Nitro, Voltaren

Connaught Laboratories, Inc.
    (717) 839-4617
    Products include:
    TheraCys BCG live intravesical

Convatec - A Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
    200 Headquarters Park Drive
    Skillman, NJ 08558
    P.O. Box 5254
    Princeton, NJ 08543-5254
    (800) 422-8811,
    (908) 281-2815
    Convatec is a manufacturer of ostomy, wound care and incontinence products.

DuPont Merck Pharmaceutical Company
    Products include:
    All non-controlled prescription products

Eli Lilly and Company
    (800) 545-6962
    Products include:
    Most all Lilly prescription products and insulins.

Fisons Pharmaceuticals
    Gastrocon Patient Assistance Program
    P.O. Box 1766
    Rochester, NY 14603-1766
    Products include:
    Gastrocrom capsules

(800) 477-6472
    Products include:

(708) 317-8636
    Products include:

Genentech, Inc.
    (800) 879-4747
    Products include:
    Actimmune, Activase, Protropin, Nutrpoin

Glaxo Wellcome
    (800) 745-2967
    Customer Service (800)334-0032
    Patient Assistance (800) 722-9294
    Reimbursement Line (800) 423-6869
    Products include:
    Aleran, Blenoxane, Imruan, Leukeran, Myleran, Navelbine, Purinethol, Thioguanine, Zofran, Zovirax, and allother Glaxo Wellcome products

Hoechst-Marion-Roussel, Inc.
    (800) 362-7466
    Customer Information Line
    (800) 207-8049
    Products Include:
    Carafate, Altace, A/T/S, Claforan, Diabeta, Lasix, Lorpox, Topicort, Trental, and other prescription products (except Rifadin, Rifamate, Rifater, Tenuate)

(800) 466-8639,
    (206) 587-0430
    Products include:
    Leukine, Novantrone, Thioplex, and all other currently marketed Immunex prescription products

(800) 544-2987
    Products include:
    Duragesic, Ergamisol, Hismanal, Imodium, Nizoral tablets, Propulsid, Sporanox capsules, Vermox Knoll Pharmaceutical Company
    (800) 524-2474
    Products include:
    Isoptin, Rythmol, Santyl

Lederle Oncology
    (800) LED-CARE (533-2273)
    Products include:
    Mitoxantrone, Leucovorin, Methotrexate, Thiotepa, and all other oral pharmaceutical products (except controlled drugs)

Liposome Company, Inc.
    Financial Assistance Program: (800) 335-5476
    Reimbursememt: (800) 345-2252
    Executive Offices: (609) 452-7060
    Products include:

McNeil Pharmaceutical
    (800) 682-6532
    Products include:
    Prescription products prescribed according to approved labeled indications and dosage regimens

Merck Human Health Division
    (800) NSC-MERCK (672-6372)
    Products include:
    Many Merck products

Miles Inc. Pharmaceutical Division
    (800) 998-9180
    Products include:
    All Miles, Inc. prescription medications used as recommended in prescribing nformation

Nabi (formerly known as Univax)
    (800) 789-2099
    Products include:
    WinRho SD

Ortho Biotech
    (800) 553-3851
    Products include:
    Leustatin, Procrit

(800) 755-0120
    Products include:
    Most Parke-Davis medications, including Accupril, Cognex, Cilatin, Lopid, Neurotin, Nitrostar, Sublingual, Procan SR, Zarontin

Pfizer, Inc.
    (800) 646-4455
    Products include:
    Diflucan, and all other Pfizer products

Pharmacia & Upjohn
    (800) 366-5570
    Products include:
    Adriamycin, EMCYT, Fragmin, Idamycin, Zinecard, Adrucil, Azulfidine, Dipentum, Folex PFS, Meosar, Vincasar, Mycotubin

Proctor & Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    (800) 448-4878
    Products include:
    Asocial, Tantrum capsules, Didronel, Entex, Macrodantin, Macrobid

Purdue Frederick
    (203) 853-0123, ext. 4800
    Products include:
    Alferon N, MS Contin, OxyContin

Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Inc.
    (610) 454-8298
    Products include:
    All products are eligible, with some limitations on supply

Roche Laboratories
    (800) 443-6676,
    (800) 285-4484
    Products include:
    Matulane, Roferon-A, and all other Roche product line

(800) 274-8651
    Customer Service (800) 348-0120
    Medical Information (800) 327-4865
    Products include:
    Marinol, Oramorph, Roxanol, Roxicodane, Torecan

(800) 447-6673,
    (203) 746-8958
    The second number is to NORD, Inc., the parent company of Sandoz.
    Products include:
    Clorazil, DynaCirc, Eldepryl, Lescol, Sandimmune, Sandoglobulin, Sandostatin

Sanofi Winthrop Pharmaceuticals
    (800) 446-6267
    Products include:
    Aralen, Breonesin, Bronkometer, Danocrine, Drisdol, Hytaketol, Isuprel, Mytelase, NegGram, pHisoHex, Primaquine, Plaquenil, Trancopal

Schering Oncology
    (800) 521-7157
    Products include:
    Intron-A, Eulexin, and all other products

(800) 542-2526
    Products include:
    antihypertensives -
    Aldactazide, Aldactone, Calan SR, Kerlone;
    antihypertensives/anti-anginal/antiarrhythmics -
    Norpace, Norpace CR;
    prevention of NSAID-induced gastric ulcers
    quinolone anti-infective

Sequus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    (800) 375-1658,
    (415) 323-9011
    Products include:

Serono Laboratories, Inc.
    (617) 982-9000
    Products include:
    Metrodin (FSH)

Smithkline Beecham Pharmaceuticals
    Access to Care Program
    1 Franklin Plaza FP 1320
    P.O. Box 7929
    Philadelphia, PA 19101-7929
    (800) 546-0420
    Products include:
    Amoxil, Augmentin, Bactroban, Compazine, Dyazide, Famvir, Kytril, Relafen, Riduara, Tagamet, and most other Smithkline Beecham prescription products

Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    901 Sawyer Road
    Marietta, GA 30062
    Attn: Patient Assistance Program
    (800) 788-9277,
    (770) 578-551
    Products include:
    All medications distributed by Solvay
    Syntex Laboratories, Inc.
    (800) 822-8255,
    (202) 508-6568
    Products include:
    All Syntax products

(800) 453-8438
    Products include:

Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories
    (703) 706-5933
    Products include:
    Norplant and other various products

(800) 424-372;
    (800) 767-4424
    Products include:
    Arimidex, Casodex, Nolvadex, Zoladex

4. DragonladyOhio

I appreciate you trying to help me, but apparently you didn't read the whole message! First of all, I said I did apply for Medicaid and SSI, but it takes a very long time, and besides, I know I'll be denied the first time. I can't afford to get a private insurance policy; like I said, my boyfriend is willing to pay a one-time deal up to 200$ to help me, but nothing more than that. It's been 5 months since I was fired, so I can't get COBRA anymore. (I couldn't get it back then because my boyfriend wouldn't give the money).

I've already looked at all the forms, online and in person, for discount meds, free meds from the company, and programs in local clinics. I've been doing research constantly for 5 months, since I was fired! The meds I'm on they will not give free from the company since they are regulated. I found a private company that says they can get me up to 4 meds for 150$ per year, so I'm waiting on them at the moment. The problem is, only one of my current meds really works, and it only works at 5x the approprate dosage. So I need different meds and can't get them without a Dr.

5. DragonladyOhio

Wow! What a list! Unfortunately I have contacted the companies that make my drugs, and they are regulated, and the companies have no programs like you are referring to. I did start getting my Neurontin free from the company a while ago, but the other drugs I can't get. I hope your list can help someone else; thanks.

6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I live in Columbus Ohio..And it took me some time too, to get the help with meds, docs appointments..etc. I go to a low cost Christian Health Clinic here in Columbus. I feel so blessed. I no longer struggle to get the meds I need, or the care I need. I do need a MRI, and the doctor is trying to get me a low cost one, but having a hard time with that. She thinks its a pinched nerve in my lower back, causing pain in my hip, leg and knee. Then also chemical inbalances, including hormonal. I am a mess, but this doctor I go to is at least trying and helping me. I only pay 13 dollars a visit, most of my meds are samples she gives me. Then I also pay for the pain meds. She don't have any problem with prescibing them though, like some docs do. That was a great list provided for low cost meds.. I would give it a try. I hope you find some help soon. Just hang in there.

It is very important like you said to have your conditions, medical problems listed within your medical records.
  7. maris

maris New Member

Dear Linda,
    I was in a similar situation a few years back. I was depressed from losing my job due to illnes. I also had no witnesses to the way I was dismissed. The entire episode left me depressed and in quite a lot of pain.
    I called my local hospital and told them that I was in crises and didn't know where else to turn. I unfortunately had to play up the depression aspect. I was then assigned to a psychiatrist for evaluation and was precribed an antidepressant, antianxiety medication and a pain reliever.
    The program was based on a sliding scale and the entire visit, plus meds cost me twenty dollars.
    Try to contact crisis hotlines in your areas and also call the hospitals.
    It seems boarderline sneaky to claim a depression based crisis but that seems to be the direction you will be headed if you don't find some help.
    Also try Catholic charities.
    Just make lots of calls. If someone doesn't have an answer ask if you can talk to someone that does, Or ask to be referred to another agency. It is a lot of work to find this sort of help, but it does exist. You just have to be able to find it.
    Good Luck.
    Here is hoping for a better New Year!
    Best Regards,
  8. elizabethia

elizabethia New Member

i went to dept of social services... although i only thought i was sick form my chrons at the time...... the case worker put me on medicade right then and there... i started out with a family doc who refered me to another doc then another and another and 2 years later i have all this $hit wrong with me and now get disability... big whoppie do!!!!! $364 a month.. well plus medicad... if i didn't need my meds and docs so much i'd tell them to shove that $364 right up their a$$... now... along with the $350 i get for child support my son and i can maybe get a new pair of shoes... man i love this country.... they sure know how to take care of their own..... i'd so much rather have a job.... kinda hard to do with all the meds i take and with a nurse that comes to take care of me everyday...if you do go somewhere and apply for some type of assistance don't tell them you live with your boyfriend they'll count his income and you won't get "\Jack" just be careful about what you let them know... i sure hope you find some help soon.... i know what your going through... take care babydoll
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are wonderful at helping people with medicine and health care.

BTW, this is not targeted to anyone here but generally speaking, it is not a good idea to lie on insurance applications. Even if it is not well documented, insurance companies usually find out and they will not pay claims. Also, it is a crime, fraud, to lie on an application.

I am an insurance agent and am amazed at how people will lie to try to get insurance. It is also like stealing from the poor agent who spends all the time involved in writing up the application only to have it turned down when the truth comes out. Agents could have spent the time on people who are telling the truth and have a chance to get through underwriting. I understand that desperate people do desperate things, but commiting fraud to get insurance is not a good idea.

Love, Mikie
  10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

11. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

Check out this website:
  12. momof27

momof27 New Member

13. steach

steach Member

Wow- thank you soooo much for taking the time to make such a list for medical assistance!! That is incredible!

I think this should be posted permanently "up there" with all the other FYI when you first log-in. I hope the moderators read this and are able to make this happen.

Great information for all of us!

Thank you-
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

That is a fabulous idea to have the list permanently posted!!

Prayer, thanks for posting your information. I am sure it will be beneficial for many people. You must have spent a lot of time compiling this.

Linda, Good luck with finding resources.

A long term solution might be to overhaul our health system. We are guaranteed lawyers, right? Why not doctors?

Unfortunately, you need help, like months ago.

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]