Need most recent info on shingles vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

It's been quite a while since I brought up this subject, and I read through the responses I received back when. I am wondering if any of you know of any new info about whether or not good CFS docs are recommending the shingles vaccine to their ME/CFS patients? I found one entry that indicated one of the top docs wasn't but was putting patients on antiviral med the minute shingles raised its ugly head.

Have any of you read anything about this? I know the vaccine is made with a live virus, and that bothers me, but I now have a second friend about my age suffering dreadfully from shingles. I don't want to be an idiot and deny the shot because of unwarranted fear, but neither do I want to set off a bomb. Please respond. MsE
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) vaccine

Some people should not get shingles vaccine or should wait.

A person should not get shingles vaccine who:

has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin,
    or any other component of shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.

has a weakened immune system because of
    HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system,

treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as steroids,
    cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy,

a history of cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma.
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

But I've wondered if the pro's still consider CFS a "weakened immune system" problem because I never catch colds or flu or anything like that. Maybe it's because my immune system works overtime because of crazy neurotransmitters? Does CFS still, in the books, count as an immune system problem if I don't catch stuff?
  4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

People with M.E./CFIDS should not get vaccines unless their life is in immenent danger.

You'd be better off taking a weekly L-Lysine supplement, an amino acid which helps your immune system keep herpes-category viruses under control (like the one that causes shingles).
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good question. I have always wondered if CFS means you have a compromised immune system.

My doctor said I have a compromised immune system from FM. I don't think that is right? Yet she said that I needed to get a flu vaccine, both this year, because of this. I did get them both and would have anyway.

Isn't immune compromised different than immunosuppressed. I rarely am sick or get colds.

I know someone who got herpes twice and he was absolutely miserable and ill for a long time.

I think the mainstream/science based doctors recommend most of the other vaccines. But it may be different with the herpes?

But a fifty percent chance of getting shingles when you get older. I had no idea. Now I can't remember the age. It may have been 65 but will double check.

Now I am seriously considering getting the shot when I turn 65. It won't be for a few years but guess I need to talk to my PCP about this.

[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2010]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Maybe vaccines are considered when the benefits outweigh the negatives.

"..... a compromised immune system means a body that does not have good immunity - a body that does not have the ability to defend against illness or medical challenges. If you have heart disease, diabetes, cancer, or any chronic illness, or if you have an acute illness that seems to last for a long period of time, your body system may be consider compromised.

If you have a compromised immune system (also called immunosupressed) then you may be at risk for contracting an infectious illness that can make you very sick, or will cause you to die.

The CDC defines high-risk more specifically as adults and children who have chronic pulmonary, cardiovascular, hepatic, hematological, neurologic, neuromuscular, or metabolic disorders; Adults and children who have immunosuppression (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by HIV); Residents of nursing homes and other chronic-care facilities.

Within patient empowerment, we consider infectious public health problems such as the flu (seasonal flu or H1N1 swine flu) that will require flu shots, or we look at problems with resistant infections such as those that are hospital acquired, like MRSA, C.Diff and others. Then we look at possible ways of keeping those problems at bay, to protect someone with a compromised immune system."

The following says nothing about an overactive immune system causing immunity. Now I am really confused.

Although the immune system usually prevents disease, sometimes it can cause it. There are several diseases caused by an overactive immune system such as allergies, asthma, autoimmune diseases (more than 100), and hay fever.

7. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

To piggy-back on karynwolfe's comment, vaccines are dangerous for those with compromised immune systems. Here is a quote from an article by Dr. Russell Blaylock, a neurosurgeon:

"It is accepted by most authorities that vaccines should not be given to individuals with impaired immunity for fear of triggering immune attacks on the central nervous system, such a encephalitis, nerve injuries (peripheral neuropathy), multiple sclerosis, and allergic encephalomyelitis. All of these are considered autoimmune disorders, during which the immune system attacks specific components of the brain and spinal cord by mistake. Recent studies have disclosed a completely new mechanism of injury, referred to as bystander injury.

In the case of bystander injury, rather than the immune system directly attacking specific parts of the nervous system (molecular mimicry), that is mistaking a part of the nerve cell or neuron for a viral or mycoplasmal invader, the immune system is merely doing its job but in the process killing a lot of innocent bystanders, that is surround normal brain cells. It's sort of like throwing a grenade in a shopping mall that not only kills the enemy, but also kills anyone close by. This occurs because immune cells kill invaders by flooding them with a storm of free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive particles that destroy everything they encounter, friend or foe. It is the immune cells that generate these free radicals in large numbers. Normally, an immune attack on viruses and other organisms occurs rapidly and is quickly terminated. This is why strong immunity is essential-it minimizes bystander injury. A weakened immune system initiates a smoldering attack that is prolonged; leaving surrounding normal cells and tissue soaked in destructive free radicals, but does not kill the invader. "
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

All of the above takes me back to my question to Gap. Are CFS patients still considered as having impaired immune systems? Or, is CFS a neurotransmitter problem? Or, is CFS a virus caused problem? My immune system seems to fight off every cold and flu bug the world presents, but is that because it is overactive, thus giving me a faulty immune system, or is it because the CFS isn't an immune problem after all??????? The answer to these questions would determine whether or not one should take the shingles vaccine, I would think. Maybe I just misread some of the comments you folks left, but I'm still in the dark about this.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think everyone is in the dark right now, including the medical community. There are probably many subtypes of CFS or CFS may be the umbrella term for many conditions where fatigue is unexplained.

Are there tests that show if you are immuocomprimised? Anyone?

10. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

The immune system is complicated and they really don't understand it very well.

They talk about the two arms of the immune system, Th1 and Th2 and say that people with CFS are Th2 activated which means that they overrespond to toxins, allergens and bacteria and underrrespond to viruses, yeast and cancer.

They theorize that with CFS a virus like the herpes viruses may send out a substance that fools the immune system into thinking the threat is coming from the Th2 side instead of the Th1 side.

Maybe your immune system didn't shift towards Th2. Maybe you don't have one of those viruses that sends out the substance that causes the immune system to shift.

Also, one of the things that makes people feel bad and have symptoms when they have colds and flu are the dead viruses which flood the system. In a person with a healthy immune system they may feel really bad for a day or two because their immune system is working really well, killing the virus and then they'll be over it and fine but we may feel kind of yukky for a longer period of time. We might not get a fever to assist in killing the virus because that part of the immune system is not working right so we just persist with a feeling of malaise for several weeks.

How do you feel? Could this be the case?

Maybe you have enough Vit D. Now that I've gotten my D levels up I don't get colds and flu very often. If your D level is good you may not have the other viruses people with CFS have that everyone has but that have become activated in us or you were able to fight off the opportunistic ones.

11. MsE

MsE New Member

Overall, That feeling of malaise had been with me for several weeks--almost two months--then lifted for three wonderful days. But, after three days of feeling "normal" today I just want to sleep. I guess I did too much during my "normal" days. I ache all over and am not a happy camper. This stinks, because earlier today I still felt okay. Bad word!!!!!

PS. I've decided against the shingles vaccine. I'm not anticipating that I'll contract shingles, but if I get any symptoms, I'll start taking an antiviral med right away. From what I've read, the percentages that it really helps are just a bit above 50%. Not good odds.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2010]