Need Natural Pain RelieversPlease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, May 17, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I can't take any pain medicine but Tylenol, as I'm really chemically sensitive. Are there any vitamins or herbs that help with pain?

Also, I read that 5htp helps with pain? Anyone on it and how does it affect you? Any side effects?

Thanks,
    Tania
  2. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

St. John's wort is a natural antidepressant and influences the adrenal gland hormones to help relieve stress. St. John's wort affects nerves and is effective for sharp, shooting nerve pains. It also has antiviral properties. (Caution: Do not take if you are taking conventional antidepressants.) Choose a standardized extract containing 0.3 percent hypericin and take 300 milligrams three times daily.

Siberian ginseng is an energizing herb that can help resolve the fatigue associated with fibromyalgia. Choose a standardized extract containing 0.5 percent eleutheroside E and take 100 milligrams twice daily, one-half hour before breakfast and lunch. After two weeks, you can gradually increase the dosage as needed. After six weeks, take one week off, then take the herb for another six weeks.

Turmeric helps to reduce pain and inflammation. Take 400 to 500 milligrams three times daily.

Cayenne, echinacea, goldenseal, astralagus, myrrh and chaparral boost the immune system and improve circulation. Combine them as a tea or tincture, It may be helpful to mix it with juice for better taste.

Calendula taken orally in high doses has a positive effect in reversing symptoms of fibromyalgia.

A combination of burdock, slippery elm, sheep sorrel and Turkish rhubarb was shown good results in improving fibromyalgia.

Garlic is useful for detoxification and to enhance immune system function. Take 5,000 mcg of standardized allicin three times daily. Kyolic, aged garlic is preferred.

Ginkgo biloba improves circulation and brain function.

Devil's claw root is a natural anti- inflammatory used to treat rheumatic disorders. Take one 400 mg devil's claw root tablet daily.

Willow bark has anti-inflammatory properties and works as a painkiller.

Passion flower, valerian and hops teas have sedating and muscle- relaxant properties.

Dong quai is good for fleeting muscle and joint pains, especially if they are worse in damp conditions. Take 1 capsule daily. For women only.

Licorice root acts in the body like cortisone, but without the harmful side-effects.

Milk thistle extract, artichoke, turmeric and dandelion supports liver function.

Dandelion reduces frequency and intensity of pain and strengthens the connective tissue. Take 1 tbsp. juice or 1 cup tea twice daily for four to six weeks.

Black walnut aid in removing parasites.

Paud'arco, taken in tea or tablet form, is good for treating candida infection.

Skullcap and valerian root improve sleep.

Teas brewed from burdock root, dandelion, and red clover promote healing by cleansing the bloodstream and enhancing immune function. Combine or alternate these herbal teas, and drink 4 to 6 cups daily.

Topical applications of cayenne (capsicum) powder mixed with wintergreen oil can help relieve muscle pain. Cayenne contains capsaicin, a substance that appears to inhibit the release of neurotransmitters responsible for communicating pain sensations. Use 1 part cayenne powder to 3 parts wintergreen oil. Cayenne can also be taken orally, in capsule form.

Licorice root supports the glandular system.
    Caution: If overused, licorice can elevate blood pressure. Do not use this herb on a daily basis for more than seven days in a row. Avoid it if you have high blood pressure.

Pine-bark and grape-seed extracts are natural anti-inflammatories that help to ease pain. Take 50 milligrams of either two to three times daily.

Ginger Tea. Ginger is a good alternative to aspirin to relieve minor aches and pains. Steep 1 teaspoon of the grated root in 8 ounces of hot water for 10 minutes. Strain. Add honey for taste, if you like. Alternatively, take 1,000 to 2,000 milligrams of powdered ginger a day in capsule form with food.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

erfula1 summed it up nicely. But I would add DL-Phenylalanine. I take 1000 mg. in the morning, but you can take more. Is an Amino Acid, available in any health food store, for under $10. It will help your body to make UPSTREAM Neurotransmitters, like Dopamine, Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, which help with alertness and feelings of well being. And it inhibits the breakdown of your own Endorphins, which are more powerful than Morphine.

It also helps prevent my tremors. It is non-addictive and has no adverse side effects. I will see improvement the first day I take it, and its effects get better with continued use.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

But the l-phen. form is much easier to come by, in the States tht is. In Canada we can only order it in, even in a city like Ottawa, none of the major health stores carry it, and the one taht offered to order it warned me it was like $50 a bottle. I trolled Swanson and they sell it for $7. So crap, I have to resort to another cross border mail order. I have to do that alot.

I need a dopamine boost because I've been taking Wellbutrin, which boosts dopamine, but am trying to wean off it. I didn't think it did anything for pain, but weaning down the first 200 mgs caused crushing fatigues for weeks w/ each reduction, so I've been at this a year. Now I get worse pain when I reduce, fatigue is gone now though. I finally clued in (only took me a year because I dind't expect it at all), and asked my shrink, and he agreed, that it could definitely do that. So taht's why I need to try d-l-phenalanine.

Jeanne
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

here's a list of pain relievers, one or more is bound to help

- protein digesting enzymes, as good or better than NSAIDs
    (I use ProEnzyme P from the Prohealth store here, best buy my side of border and yours Iv'e found)
    - use arnica gel, I got a homeopathic pure formula and I'm blown away, the pain relief is almost instant and sinks right in w/out greasiness
    - try different painkiller, I find codeine is better for FM pain, by far, than oxy, sometimes less is more
    - try an herbal pain/rheumatism formula
    - homeopathics like Traumeel or Rhododendronheel are great for rheumatic pain

- I have some thing called Pro Muscle Calm, it has cal/mag, valerian, passion flower, wild yam (progesterone creams relieve topical pain), wood betony, cramp bark, hops and skullcap
    You don't have to get that exact formula, but look for similar ingredients. It will do something, trust me. Only thing i find is I can't take it during the day because there are too many sleep aid herbs in it, like hops, valerian and passion flower in it, which also happen to be painrelievers too, and it zonks me right out. But how mahy would love both sleep and pain relief in one?

- super hot bath w/ epsom salts
    - calcium/magnesium supplements (some swear they are better than muscle relaxers)
    - rice sock (get a big sock and fill to a comfort level w/ parboiled rice and nuke for about 1 min, will conform to your sore area and the moist heat will last half an hour- better than a heating pad!)
    - alkalizers formulas (simple baking soda works too) help w/ painful herxes
    - lemon foot bath in hot water, makes you mellow and super relaxed, great for herxes and painful or cold sweat feet that burn

6. Jeanne-in-Canada

7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I also agree with Anrnica Cream. It is wonderful. I also have Arnica relief tablets and they do help.

My DH found them both at GNC store, but I am sure there are other health food stores which carry them, too.

I hope you find relief soon.........

Kim
  8. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I've found that when my magnesium is low I have more pain. One way I know I need it, is I crave sweets especially chocolate. Every little bit helps, right? LuAnn
  9. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Thanks for the list..I will print it and try them. Is it true progesterone cream helps with fibro?? I don't know if the kind in health food store is ok.

Blessings,

Carolyn