Need opinions on me going to a psych to help with SSD fight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Aug 26, 2008.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Hi all,

I posted a few days ago that I got denided at the ALJ hearing which totally crushed me. I have CFS and herniated disc in back.

A couple days after the denial letter I get a thick one from the judge stating why he turned me down which was a load of crap. I'm too foggy today to go into much of it because it is a sorry excuse of trying to come up with bogus reasons to justify my denial. My lawyer said maybe he just didn't think you looked sick. Sheesh!!! How many of us have heard this crap, and no, I did not wear any makeup.

I noticed in one part he played up that my mental issues were considered "mild". SSD sent me to a psch back in Dec. 2006 and I can't really remember much of the visit and never knew what she reported. In the judge's report he said the psyc determined that my Axis I diagnoses were major depressive disorder and mood disorder related to medical condition with anxious features. Does this sound "mild" to you guys??? My workplace sent me to a psyc also back in 2005 I think when I was trying for my LTD which I didn't get and he wrote a report that he did not think I was able to work and was suicidal. Crap!! how much more mental can I get.

My attorney is going to file for a appeal and I'm terrified it I don't have anything new to report I'll get turned down again. Truthfully, between me and you guys, I'm not doing well at all, after geting the denial I've been in spiral down, depression and anxiety that is literally killing me, I'm basically taking xanax and piling up on the bed crying. I'm the one that is in an abusive marriage and the SSD was going to be my way out and I was literally hanging by a thread and the judge cut that thread when he denied me.

I made a appt for Oct. 7th earliest I could get in for a new patient and without a referral. Anyway, I'm afraid to wait that long because my attorney said the appeal usually takes about 60 days and I really am losing it so I called a different one and got an appt. for Sept. 8th. I feel like I need to fall apart and tell all my problems to someone outside of my family and have them tell me I'm going to make it.

My question: Do you guys think this will help at all with my appeal if I go and have my lawyer get the office notes and send in with my appeal or am I wasting my time??

Thanks guys for your help

Deb
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

but it sounds to me like something you really need to do for yourself at this time, in addition to it potentially supporting your case.

I'm so sorry you've been dealt this terrible disappointment. Everything I've heard about this process is just so unfair.

I'd recommend going in and telling the psych. exactly how you're thinking. I can't say if it will help your case or not, but hopefully it will help YOU!

wishing you all the best,
    Janelle
  3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

For the past 2 1/2 years while trying for SSD I had that to hang on to through the rough times that hopefully I would get approved and life would get better. Now that that has been at least for now yanked out from under me I do feel like I'm falling.

Thanks again for caring.

Deb
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

no it doesn't sound minor, it sounds like the judge minimized it himself.

Most important thing is to continue seeing your doctors, ALL of them, regularly, and ask them to make narrative reports every few months. If you stop seeing any of them, it can be looked at as if you don't need that doctor anymore because you have improved, even if you haven't and maybe stopped just because you're frustrated with the doctor and haven't been able to find a new one. So if you do switch, find another one immediately -

if there's a local support group, it's a great way to network as to who is good and who is not. For doctors as well as lawyers btw.

Good luck and don't let them crush you... that's really the way the system works, they are HOPING you will give up and just 'go away'.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  5. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Grammy27---You hit the nail on the head with the diagnosis of major depressive disorder secondary to severe chronic physical illness. I was never a depressive person before my illness began. It is Federal SSD I'm trying for, didn't qualify for SSDI due to income guidelines and we own our home and such.

Victoria--I'm trying my best not to give up as I know that is their goal to beat us down but man oh man does it ever get hard.

Thank you both for your words of encouragement, I need them.

Debbie
  6. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

When I applied for SSD I had listed my conditions as follows: Fibromyalgia, PTSD, Arthritis, Anxiety and Depression. I had my Pain doc, Primary Doc, Therapist and psych med nurse all behind me when I filed. They were all very supportive. Within 3 months SSD requested some extra info re: previous jobs from me and sent me for a Comprhensive Psych Exam. I then was accepted. Thank God.

But besides it maybe helping get SSD, I think the best reason for going to get help is for you. I have been in abusive relationship with my daughter's biological father. It ended in emotional and physical abuse and rape. While getting your SSDI would help with getting you out, you can do it without it as well. Go to a battered womans shelter. Get therapy.

PLEASE KNOW THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!! YOUR HUSBAND IS AN ASS, NOT YOU. You deserve better then this. And know matter how exhausted or how much pain you are in, you are strong enough to pack a bag and leave. Your symptoms would probably ease up if you left him. It will be a long hard road to travel. But you can do it. You are strong, and I know this because you have survived up til now. And you will continue to survive. You have to believe that you deserve a safe and happy life. Even with Fibro and chronic fatigue.

Please stay in touch Deb. I am here to talk whenever you want. Jenn
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I think it may help so I would definately do it. If you are as depressed as some of the dr.'s say you should get it.

It is usually easier to get disability on depression than the other problems you have.

I mean I have degenerative disc disease, fms, ra, oa, diabetic neuropathy, ibs, depression, diabetes, bipolar, fibro fog, herniated and bulging discs, and I think that is it and I only got it for my depression.

So yes go to a psych.

Good luck to you, Crispangel
  8. glenpr

glenpr New Member

The reason I am off is because of "depression" from my psychiatrist, not the other stuff. Make sure you check your psychiatrist out, you dont want a dud. You can check them out here ratemds.com
    love glen
  9. landra

landra New Member

Having said that .. a few clarifictions.

I was a licensed counselor and can do diagnoses. "Major depressive disorder" can be single episode or recurrent. He probably put you at single episode - which means when the steress goes away, so will the depression. Granny26 was on the right track about the item she called GAS. It is GAF - Global Assessment of Functioning - and that is probably where the judge got the "mild". 41 - 50 is "serious impairment in functioning." 51 - 60 is moderate, 61 - 70 is mild. THE AXIS's and this rating are your diagnosis, not the written stuff.

Second, mental health professionals do not release "office notes." that is to protect you. In my notes I may jot things that are reminders to me, or details to jog my memory. AND I not +'s and -'s. SSA can take the plus's and "run with them." What mental health people do is an assessment and it includes the Axis I, etc.

Did the doctor ask you if you did housework? Probably. Did you say "yes" - probably. So you "can work" by their assessment. did you explain that you only do housework because you are in an abusive marriage and life would be impossible if you didn't? Probably NOT. Thus you need a doctor who will explore the extenuating factors. For instance there is a mood disorder that preceeds depression sometime which is just sort of "flat mood" - and you MAY have had that. A good doc will ask about the past in a way to help them clarify that and you may not even realize it. BTW, a lot of people with the "flat mood" try real hard to be "normal" and may not even realize it.

Finally, the 2 choices are SSI which is based on income and which you do not qualify for. SSDI is what you are applying for Social Security Disability Income!

It would be good if you could get in sooner - or with someone who understands chronic illness. PS Some offices will see you sooner if you might become a patient - and not just for a Social Security Eval. ... You don't know, maybe you need antidepressants..... that is all you have to say.

Good luck! I'm appealing mine, too - and my GAF was 50!! But I had no psych eval of my own. So here we go - off to more doctors!

hugs, Landra
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

My DH was a clinical psychologist for 20 years; what really seemed to matter the most when he had a pt he felt was disabled due to major depression or any other psych dx, he wrote a narrative report.

He was unusual tho in that he would almost always also show up for the hearings (without getting paid for it). His pts never NOT got SSD as a result. Few will do that however... altho it may be possible in some places to have your doc on the phone at the hearing, I've heard of it being done.
  11. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

So much great advice and encouragement, I'm sitting here in tears reading all of them. I've been living in my house for over a year now with very little contact or conversation with my husband and that alone is driving me over the edge. When his "midlife"crap started early 2007 things just fell apart and we've never been able to get it back together. We go days without a single word said to each other, he pretty well stays in the living room and I pretty well stay in my bedroom. Some kinda life ):

Thanks again guys, be glad when Sept. 8th gets here so I can get past the psch appt. never been to one and kinda anxious about it. Been to a ton of doctors over the past five years but never a psych.

Deb

12. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Also, there are mental health RFCs you can print out and have your own psychiatrist/psychologist complete and then give to your attorney to provide to SSA, which helps and it provides all the necessary information that SSA requires. Looks like this:

MENTAL RESIDUAL FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY QUESTIONAIRE
    Date: ________________
    Re – Patient’s Name:_____________________________________________
    Patient’s Social Security Number: _________________________________
    Physician Name: _____________________________________
    Physician Signature: ___________________________________________
    Physician Address: __________________________________________________________________
    Physician Phone Number: ______________________________
    Physician Fax Number: ________________________________
    To: _________________________________________________________
    NOTE: Please complete this form completely, accurately and in a timely manner, and attach any supporting documents that may be necessary to further prove statements made on this form.

A – UNDERSTANDING AND MEMORY
    Not Significantly Moderately Markedly
    Limited Limited Limited

1 – Ability to remember locations and work-like procedures ___________ ___________ __________

2 – Ability to understand and remember very short and simple instructions ___________ ___________ __________

3 – Ability to understand and remember detailed instructions ___________ ___________ __________

B – SUSTAINED CONCENTRATION AND PERSISTANCE
    Limited Limited Limited
    4 – Ability to carry out very short and simple instructions ___________ ___________ __________

5 – Ability to carry out detailed instructions ___________ ___________ __________

6 – Ability to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods ___________ ___________ __________

7 – Ability to perform activities within a schedule, maintain regular attendance,
    and be punctual within customary tolerances ___________ ___________ __________

8 – Ability to sustain an ordinary routine without special supervision ___________ ___________ __________

9 – Ability to work in coordination with or proximity to others without being
    distracted by them ___________ ___________ __________

10 – Ability to make simple work-related decisions ___________ ___________ __________

11 – Ability to complete a normal work day and work week without
    interruptions from psychologically based symptoms and to perform at a
    consistent pace without an unreasonable number and length of rest periods ___________ ___________ __________

C – SOCIAL INTERACTION
    Limited Limited Limited

12 – Ability to act appropriately with the general public ___________ ___________ __________

13 – Ability to ask simple questions or request assistance ___________ ___________ __________
    Limited Limited Limited

14 – Ability to accept instructions and respond appropriately to criticism from
    supervisors ___________ ___________ __________

15 – Ability to get along with coworkers or peers without distracting them or
    exhibiting behavioral extremes ___________ ___________ __________

16 – Ability to maintain socially appropriate behavior and to adhere to basic
    standards of neatness and cleanliness ___________ ___________ __________

D – ADAPTATION
    Limited Limited Limited

17 – Ability to respond appropriately to changes in the work setting ___________ ___________ __________

18 – Ability to be aware of normal hazards and take appropriate precautions ___________ ___________ __________

19 – Ability to travel in unfamiliar places or use public transportation ___________ ___________ __________

20 – Ability to set realistic goals or make plans independently of others ___________ ___________ __________

DOCUMENTATION OF FACTORS THAT EVIDENCE THE DISORDER IN ACCORDANCE WITH SS BLUEBOOK LISTINGS

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-02 – Organic Mental Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Does patient have evidence of this condition: Yes ______ No _______

_____ Medically documented history of a chronic organic mental (listing 12.02), schizophrenic, etc (listing 12.03) or affective (listing 12.04) disorder of at least 2 years duration that has caused more than a minimal limitation of ability to do any basic work activity, with symptoms or signs currently attenuated by medication or psychosocial support, and one of the following:

_____ 1 – Repeated episodes of decompensation, each of extended duration

_____ 2 – A residual disease process that has resulted in such marginal adjustment that even a minimal increase in mental demands or change
    in the environment would be predicted to cause the individual to decompensate

_____ 3 – Current history of one or more years of the inability to function outside a highly supportive living arrangement with an indication of
    of continued need for such an arrangement

_____ Psychological or behavioral abnormalities associated with a dysfunction of the brain as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – Disorientation to time and place

_____ 2 – Memory impairment

_____ 3 – Perceptual or thinking disturbances

_____ 4 – Change in personality
    _____ 5 – Disturbance in mood

_____ 6 – Emotional lability and impairment in impulse control

_____ 7 – Loss of measured intellectual ability of at least 15 IQ points from pre-morbid levels or overall impairment index clearly within the
    severely impaired range on neuropsychological testing (ex – Luria-Nebraska, Halstead-Reitan etc)

A medically determinable impairment is present that does not precisely satisfy the diagnostic criteria above

Yes ______ No _______

Disorder: _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pertinent symptoms, signs and laboratory findings that substantiate the presence of this impairment: ____________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Based on the information above indicate to what degree the following functional limitations exist as a result of the individual’s mental disorder(s):

Functional Limitation Degree of Limitation

1 – Restriction of Activities of Daily Living ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

2 – Difficulties in Maintaining Social Functioning ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

3 – Difficulties in Maintaining Concentration, Persistence or Pace ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

4 – Episodes of Decompensation, Each of Extended Duration ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-03 – Schizophrenic, Paranoid and Other Psychotic Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

_____ Medically documented history of a chronic organic mental (listing 12.02), schizophrenic, etc (listing 12.03) or affective (listing 12.04) disorder of at least 2 years duration that has caused more than a minimal limitation of ability to do any basic work activity, with symptoms or signs currently attenuated by medication or psychosocial support, and one of the following:

_____ 2 – A residual disease process that has resulted in such marginal adjustment that even a minimal increase in mental demands or change

_____ 3 – Current history of one or more years of the inability to function outside a highly supportive living arrangement with an indication of

_____ Psychotic features and deterioration that are persistence (continuous or intermittent) as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – Delusions or hallucinations

_____ 2 – Catatonic or other grossly disorganized behavior

_____ 3 – Incoherence, loosening of associations, illogical thinking, or poverty of content of speech if associated with one of the following:

_____ A – Blunt affect

_____ B – Flat affect
    _____ C – Inappropriate affect

_____ 4 – Emotional withdrawal and/or isolation

A medically determinable impairment is present that does not precisely satisfy the diagnostic criteria above

Yes ______ No _______

Disorder: _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pertinent symptoms, signs and laboratory findings that substantiate the presence of this impairment: ____________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Based on the information above indicate to what degree the following functional limitations exist as a result of the individual’s mental disorder(s):

1 – Restriction of Activities of Daily Living ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

2 – Difficulties in Maintaining Social Functioning ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

3 – Difficulties in Maintaining Concentration, Persistence or Pace ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

4 – Episodes of Decompensation, Each of Extended Duration ___ None ___ Mild ___ Moderate ___ Marked ___ Extreme

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-04 – Affective Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

_____ Disturbance of mood accompanied by full or partial manic or depressive syndrome, as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – Depressive syndrome characterized by at least four of the following:

_____ A – Anhedonia or pervasive lost of interest in almost all activities

_____ B – Appetite disturbance with a change in weight

_____ C – Sleep disturbance

_____ D – Psychomotor agitation or retardation

_____ E – Decreased energy

_____ F – Feeling of guilt or worthlessness

_____ G – Difficulty concentrating or thinking

_____ H – Thoughts of suicide

_____ I – Hallucinations, delusions or paranoid thinking

_____ 2 – Manic syndrome characterized by at least three of the following

_____ A – Hyperactivity

_____ B – Pressures of speech

_____ C – Flight of ideas

_____ D – Inflated self esteem

_____ E – Decreased need for sleep

_____ F – Easy distractibility

_____ G – Involvement in activities that have a high probability of painful consequences which are not recognized

_____ H – Hallucinations, delusions or paranoid thinking

_____ 3 – Bi-polar syndrome with a history of episodic periods manifested by the full symptomatic picture of both manic and depressive
    syndromes (and currently characterized by either or both syndromes)

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-05 – Mental Retardation

Check ALL that apply:

Significantly sub-average general intellectual functioning with deficits in adaptive functioning initially manifested during the developmental period (i.e. – the evidence demonstrates or supports onset of the impairment before age 22) with one of the following:
    _____ 1 – Mental incapacity evidenced by dependence upon others for personal (ex – toileting, eating, dressing or bathing) and inability to
    follow instructions such that the use of standardized measures of intellectual functioning is precluded

_____ 2 – A valid verbal, performance, or full scale IQ of 59 or less

_____ 3 – A valid verbal, performance, or full scale IQ of 60 through 70 and a physical or other mental impairment imposing an additional and
    significant work related limitation of function

_____ 4 – A valid verbal, performance, or full scale IQ of 60 through 70

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-06 – Anxiety-Related Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Anxiety as the predominant disturbance or anxiety experienced in the attempt to master symptoms, as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – Generalized persistent anxiety accompanied by at least three of the following:

_____ A – Motor tension

_____ B – Autonomic hyperactivity

_____ C – Apprehensive expectation

_____ D – Vigilance and scanning

_____ 2 – A persistent irrational fear of a specific object, activity or situation which results in a compelling desire to avoid the dreaded object,
    activity, or situation

_____ 3 – Recurrent severe panic attacks manifested by a sudden predictable onset of intense apprehension, fear, terror and sense of impending
    doom occurring on the average of at least once a week

_____ 4 – Recurrent obsessions or compulsions which are a source of marked distress
    _____ 5 – Recurrent and intrusive recollections of a traumatic experience, which are a source of marked distress

_____ 6 – Complete inability to function independently outside the area of one’s home

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-07 – Somatoform Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Physical symptoms for which there are no demonstrable organic findings or known physiological mechanisms, as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – A history of multiple physical symptoms of several years duration beginning before age 30, that have caused the individual to take
    medicine frequently, see a physician often and alter life patterns significantly

_____ 2 – Persistent non-organic disturbance of at least one of the following:

_____ A – Vision

_____ B – Speech

_____ C – Hearing

_____ D – Use of a limb

_____ E – Movement and its control (ex- coordination disturbances, psychogenic seizures, akinesia, dyskinesia

_____ F – Sensation (ex – diminished or heightened)

_____ 3 – Unrealistic interpretation of physical signs or sensations associated with the preoccupation or belief that one has a serious disease or
    injury

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-08 – Personality Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Inflexible and maladaptive personality traits which cause either significant impairment in social or occupational functioning or subjective distress, as evidenced by at least one of the following:

_____ 1 – Seclusiveness or autistic thinking

_____ 2 – Pathologically inappropriate suspiciousness or hostility

_____ 3 – Oddities of thought, perception, speech and behavior

_____ 4 – Persistent disturbances of mood or affect

_____ 5 – Pathological dependence, passivity or aggressivity

_____ 6 – Intense and unstable interpersonal relationships and impulsive and damaging behavior

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-09 – Substance Addiction Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Behavioral or physical changes associated with the regular use of substances that affect the central nervous system If present evaluate under one of more of the most closely applicable listings:

_____ 1 – Listing 12.02 – Organic Mental Disorders

_____ 2 – Listing 12.04 – Affective Disorders

_____ 3 – Listing 12.06 – Anxiety-Related Disorders

_____ 4 – Listing 12.08 – Personality Disorders

_____ 5 – Listing 11.14 – Peripheral Neuropathies

_____ 6 – Listing 5.05 – Liver Damage

_____ 7 – Listing 5.04 – Gastritis

_____ 8 – Listing 5.08 – Pancreatitis

_____ 9 – Listing 11.02 or 11.03 – Seizures

Yes ______ No _______

SS BLUEBOOK LISTING – 12-10 – Autistic Disorder and Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders

Check ALL that apply:

Qualitative deficits in the development of reciprocal social interaction, in the development of verbal and non-verbal communication skills, and in imaginative activity. Often there is a markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests, which frequently are stereotyped and repetitive.

_____ 1 – Autistic disorders, with medically documented findings of all of the following:

_____ A – Qualitative deficits in reciprocal social interaction

_____ B – Qualitative deficits in verbal and non-verbal communication and in imaginative activity

_____ C – Markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests

_____ 2 – Other pervasive developmental disorders, with medically documented finding of both of the following:

_____ A – Qualitative deficits in reciprocal social interaction

_____ B – Qualitative deficits in verbal and non-verbal communication and in imaginative activity

Yes ______ No _______

Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale*

Consider psychological, social and occupational functioning on a hypothetical continuum of mental health-illness. Do not include impairment in functioning due to physical (or environmental) limitations.

Code (Note: Use intermediate codes when appropriate eg 45, 68, 72)

91–100 Superior functioning in a wide range of activities. Life’s problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities. No symptoms

81-90 Absent or minimal symptoms (eg mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns (eg an occasional argument with family members)

71-80 If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (eg difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (eg temporarily falling behind in school work)

61-70 Some mild symptoms (eg depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (eg occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

51-60 Moderate symptoms (eg flat effect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (eg few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).
    41-50 Serious symptoms (eg suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational or school functioning (eg no friends, unable to keep a job).

31-40 Some impairment in reality testing or communication (eg speech is at all times illogical, obscure or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgement, thinking or mood (eg depressed man avoids friends, neglects family and is unable to work; child frequently beats up younger children, is defiant at home and is failing at school.

21-30 Behaviour is considerable influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communication or judgement (eg sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas (eg stays in bed all day, no job, home, or friends).

11-20 Some danger of hurting self or others (eg suicide attempts without clear expectation of death, frequently violent, manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (eg smears faeces) OR gross impairment in communication (eg largely incoherent or mute).

1-10 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others (eg recurrent violence) OR persistent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

0 Inadequate information.

Patient satisfies code/codes #____________________________

13. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

That looks just like what I need to have completed. Thanks so much!

Deb
  14. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I would definately see a psychiatrist, and make sure you get a copy of his records for yourself. You don't want records going to SS that you don't even know what they have in them.

Your attorney said that the appeal is 60 days, it is usually longer than that. I used Allsup, and was very happy. I won my case the the judicial level.

I would buy the book "Nolos Guide to Social Security Disability". It has some very important information in there that is a must for anyone filing. You can get it on Amazon or have a bookstore order it for you. Once you have this book you will know how the decisions are made and what you need to do and provide to win your case.

Best of luck.

M J
  15. tony23

tony23 New Member

Get a copy of the CFIDS assn guidebook on filing a disability claim. I used it. It worked for me. I passed the book on to a friend it worked for her. You must show why you can't work in order to get disability. A herniated disc or cfs isn't sufficient reason to get disability. You must show how the disability prevents you from holding a job. I have a bulging, maybe herniated disc, but it doesn't keep me from doing clerical work, but cfs does since working while fatigued raises my blood pressure to dangerous levels. This is what got me disability. Also talk to our doctors to see if they will be supportive. But, these questions are best put to your lawyer. What does he say? Just follow his advice and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  16. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Well, I've got even more to add to my case, just got back from checking myself into a 72 hr psych hold as I could tell I was losing it. My husband is going to be the death of me yet, he needs on anti-depressants, won't go to the dr. and the way he is treating me is killing me.

Things have been really bad for about the past 18 months and I have been hanging on with the hopes of getting my SSD and if things didn't rapidly improve I intended on divorcing and getting on with my life and health. When I got my denial letter a couple of weeks ago it just sort of sent me spiraling and then had another huge blow up with my husband Friday as he wants to go back to keeping his paycheck again instead of putting it in the bank to pay bills like we've done for 30 years. We both have a check card so we both have access to purchase what we need and thats the way it's always been. He kept every penny of every paycheck for six months last year making me live off of some money I had stashed. He paid the utilities and that was it. He gave me no money for meds, gas, groceries, walmart stuff or anything. Needless to say, I didn't cook or clean for him for six months either and it was a very very miserable six months.

I'm so ready for my life to get better.

Deb