Need Opinions on Possible Lyme

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by estelita, Jun 27, 2007.

1. estelita

estelita New Member

For the past 5 years, I have been experiencing the symptoms of Lyme. I have been testing negative and my official diagnosis is Fibromyalgia.

However, last Thursday during a routine vet visit, my dog tested positive for Lyme. She and I hike together all the time. We have never tested her before and she has never shown any symptoms. She is 6 years old.

We just moved to southcentral PA last summer and before that we were in central NJ (deer-infested land!).

I had a doctor in NJ who told me she thought I had Lyme but was testing negative. The last round of tests 5 weeks ago, my thyroid was off (Had a baby in March) and I tested a "slight positive" for Lupus, so we redid the bloodwork. Do I push the Lyme issue with this doctor since my dog has it? She's on 21 days of antibiotics and then we retest. Do I ask for medicine for me from my doc?

Thoughts, opinions, anything are welcomed!
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

You will see in our posts here that some of us never did test positive for lyme on a blood test. I am one of them and had two tests this summer. The Igenix was questionable so I did the Florida research test which is supposed to be very accurate.

The young PA was willing to start me on ABX regardless of test results so I did. MY thoughts were that I have fibro/fatigue and have been to the so called experts and I am not better so something is causeing this stuff as fibro is just a term for a bunch of symptoms that overlap with other illnesses including lyme. I would find a Lyme literate Dr if you can and definately pursue it. Did you rule out Lupus, I wasn't sure.

How did they discover your dog has it, did the vet find it or did he send it" the blood work" to a lab. Have him test you too:):):)
    My dog was on an ABX with me for a big lump near his thyroid, it cleared up.His abx was one I had before but was much cheaper. If you request a test again from your DR ask for an Igenix which you can order the test kit on line as it is more accurate than the Quest I understand.This fibro thing to me is a matter of eliminating everything we can and that includes the infectious diseases as well. Good luck in your quest.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

It's very frustrating to me that we can get our animals diagnosed and treated much easier than ourselves!! If your dog has lyme and you have FM symptoms, I would say it's a pretty good chance you have lyme too! I would suggest to find a good LLMD and get an ignenex test. Many drs do not understand lyme, so you need to find one who treats lyme. You are right in lyme country, so I think it's important to do this.

Thyroid issues are common in lyme too. Good luck to you and let us know how things go!!
  4. estelita

estelita New Member

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I learned on another website that Lyme can be passed to babies through pregnancy and breastfeeding. So if that's what I have, both my boys are at risk too. Argh.

Anyway... how do I go about fighting to get treatment for myself?
  5. estelita

estelita New Member

I called my doc and I'm going in for bloodwork tomorrow. So we shall see!