Need positive thoughts this week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Janalynn, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Okay I'm going to condense as much as possible - Try to follow. HA
    I work part time. Had to do something to earn extra income. Purses! They're huge around here - the designer knock offs. So I invested in some, started selling - GREAT results. This company I was working with (purchasing from )was wonderful, developed a fantastic rapport with the owner, long story short, we decided to work together.I say that, but really I had to send my resume etc So I guess he "decided", but I reeeeally wanted to. He has a huge successful international company located in Bel Air. Been in all the mags (People, on TV) It's a big deal. I am helping him develop this into an opportunity for other people to get involved in the direct selling business - like Pampered Chef, AtHome America type of business, if you've ever heard of those. Big business man. For some reason he loves me. (I'm good on the phone LOL).
    Fast forward - He's flying out to meet me this week. He's coming here to spend 1 and a half full days with me. Thankfully staying at a hotel but basically I'm hostessing him for the entire time. CRAP.
    Forget about the fact that I'm freaking out about what to feed him. LOL We ARE going to dinner for the one dinner he's here. I still have two lunches, a breakfast and snacks. He's sushi, I'm tuna. Oh well!

I'm more worried about missing my naps!!!!!!!!!!!
    God love my family, we joked about what I'm going to say:

"Here let's sit over here, you sit on the chair, I'll sit on the couch. Wait I'll lay, wait, let me get my blanket - oh and my pillow. I'm sorry if I lay facing the other way I'm not ignoring you"

'do you mind rubbing my legs while we 'talk?' <tossing him a bottle of lotion>

"What? I always lay my head on the table before I eat, I'm just praying" (for hours)

"I'm going up to my room for a minute - I'll be right back - in two hours"

"I listen better when my eyes are closed"

Now you may say the obvious - tell him. I really can't at this point. This is a business decision. This new opportunity could be/will be great for me and will be wonderful as far as being able to work with this dd. I will have total flexibility. Right now (since Oct.) I have put in the time in the evenings and free time sitting on my couch with my laptop in my jammies.

Part of me is joking that I need positive thoughts - I can handle this - the other part is saying "Oh $hit" This really is going to be tough on me.

Humor is welcome!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks girls and guys!!!
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

Great news...I envy you your zest and courage...and I am sure these will get you thru this big meeting. Ive always believed enthusiasm is more than half the battle won.

If you have been able to impress him thus far there is no reason he should start doubting your capabilities now...

Wishing you success in this endeavour of yours...and praying all will go well

God bless

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Pretty funny, but you can't fool me. I saw the movie.

Next you're going to tell us you got your friend (played by John Ritter, or was it Dustin Hoffman?) to dress up and pretend to be you.

They had the same basic plot on the bob Cummings show about half a century ago.

Well, all those shows had a happy ending, so I spect yours will too.

Good luck

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank you Springwater.
    Your kind words really do mean a lot. When I asked my husband how am I going to do this. He said "you always do" and he's right.
    This is too good for me to let slip by so I will do whatever it takes. I have already had days of recovery after working very hard at both jobs, but fortunately I've had that luxury of being able to have some downtime when needed. I have already been thinking about how I can make this available to people who cannot get out and work. I think I mentioned that in Dec. I made over $1300.00 in less than 5 hours of work. Can't beat that. I worked Friday night and made $295.00 in 1 1/2 hrs.

I USED to work in the big corporate world with tons of meetings etc. Had a lot more energy then. I live now for when I can come home from work and hit the couch. Should be interesting. I'll just do what I can. That's all I can do.
    I overheard his secretary in the background one day on the phone saying "you're going to party when you're there" - he said, "no we're not, well maybe a little" (probably meaning drinking wine) I'm thinking, hell I don't even drink wine. I'm a big fat bore! Tea and jammies please.
    Thank God for my sense of humor. It's gets me through some crappy and/or tough times. Like a lot of us I'm sure!

I do have zest - I haven't lost that yet - I still have a lot of dreams. I am fortunate. I know it. I don't take it for granted.
    Thanks again Springwater - I appreciate it!
    Have a great day!

5. Good luck to you , I was just thinking this morning there must be some way to make money. But you know when we need to we can always seem to "pull ourselves up by the bootstraps" as the saying goes. So no don't tell your boss, just go for it and GOOD LUCK TO YOU. That just sounds so neat and a fun way to earn $$$. (By the way, love your name and in your pic you look fabulous!) YOU GO GIRL!
  6. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

It sounds like you have bitten off a Jaws size bite.

Remember to keep your humor, and I think that the excitement of it all will keep you on your toes.

Hopefully you will be able to get some decent sleep, I suspect that it will be from sheer exhaustion.

Let us know how it turns out.

7. ckball

ckball New Member

I do not want to rain on your parade, I do want to protect you from a possible scam.

I belong to a message board called Freinds In Business, it is a group of people that have legit work at home jobs and seek out and exspose scams. I have been a member since 1999 when I lost $5000 on a "Life time web site" with my own "coach". It didn't happen.

I did go post there and asked about this business and here is what they said

There's "knock-offs" and their are look alikes. I'd be very leery as illegal knock-offs could cost your friend big bucks as well as criminal charges. The big names in purses, Coach, Gucci, etc have the international laws and courts on their side, and the money and lawyers to enforce their name, logos, and patents.

Meeting with an "unknown" off the internet - Very much a red flag. Meeting one-on-one, even more risky!

Going into a business venture with a stranger, selling knockoffs - Not on a day of total desperation.

Can you find out if the purses are violating company trademarks, or passable look-alikes?

You are a very smart lady and so caring, it is easy to get carried away, I know I did it myself. I can depend on the website to find out what is legit, they have been around for 10 years and know the score.

What kind of research have you done on this guy and his company? If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I sincerely hope this is the real deal but please check it out, even do a background search on the guy. You can do it online for about $50, it is worth it when you may be talking investing $1000's with someone you really don't know.

These guys are smooth and have been scamming people for years, you can go to the website yourself or tell me the name of the guy or company and I can help you find out more about him.

I have seen so many people get scammed over the years and do what I can to help others see if something is legit-

I am sorry if I have stuck my nose in here but I would rather be safe than sorry I didn't say anything. Your best interest in is my heart-Carla

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Well known company been in business for years. Have done all my homework. His company has been featured in all the magazines as instead of buying this bag for $1200.00, you can buy here for $49.00. He's just taking it to a different level and that's where I come in.
    No raining here. Thanks for your concern. I'm very business savvy. Please don't worry.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

These are all "legal". We are totally against the illegal bags and the copyright laws.
    Really Carla, I do appreciate your concern. I have read all of the write ups and articles that have been featured on him and his company. Have researched the heck out of him and his company. He's the real deal. It's not a "too good to be true." I'm going to have to work! Ugh. He's one of the top wholesalers of designer inspired handbags. He also retails.
    I have spent 5 months talking to him and working long distance. He likes my enthusiam and my business ideas. So he has found a place for my talent within his company. I feel fortunate that I can have an opportunity where I can telecommute and not have to report to an office everyday.
    I obviously have to meet him since I'll be working for him. I've already had to review confidentiality agreements prepared by attorneys etc. all sorts of legal stuff.

I am notoriously a skeptical person. Actually people that "fall" for that stuff make me crazy. I want to shake them! Maybe I didn't do a good job of fully describing the situation and that is totally my fault. I would probably respond to someone else the way you did. I appreciate you looking out for me!! Thank you.

10. ckball

ckball New Member

Good I am glad, there are many legit jobs like this and am very happy you have done your homework. I wish you all the best and am glad lawyers and all have been invloved.

I know you are a smart and capable lady it had nothing to to about you, I just know how these people operate and they puff you all up then take your money and run.

I did not want to hurt your feelings or insult you in any way, just watching out and now I know the bigger picture and I know you will be fine.

You may think about getting a meat/veg or fruit tray, cheese/crackers and such for when he is there. Do you know what his favorite bev is? Just buy a few if it is not in your home. Use plastic plates/cups ect. It really helps and your not worrying about what to fix for him and concenetrate on your new business.

You are not a boring person and I would bet my SSDI check that when he shows up and you start "talking shop" you will find a new energy in you that you didn't know was there.

This is what happened to me when I did the work for the foundation and did the art drive. Yes, I did crash after it was over, but so worth it. So you go get em girl-

Have I redeemed myself :) Carla

11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

No need to redeem yourself sweetie...:) you were looking out for me!! All is GOOD.
    Great idea about the veggie/meat tray. I even thought about going to the deli (there's a great one near here) and getting some chicken salad, some good bread to make some quick sandwiches. Of course, I'll transfer it to my own bowl and claim I made it myself LOL!!!!!
    I can make a quick pasta salad and have my son whip up a pan a brownies -everyone likes those right? Luckily I do have some good cheeses and crackers left over from a purse party I did Friday night. I just can't sweat it. (so I keep telling myself)

Like I said - it's the nap thing. It's 2:45 here, got home from work about 45 min ago and I can barely keep my eyes open. I ache so badly right now I can't even describe it. Although there is no need to here, since you all 'get it'.
    Gosh, that's so nice (that you get it). I don't even have the energy to get out of my work clothes. I made a cup of hot tea and am under my favorite blanket on the couch with my laptop. Took my pain meds an hour ago and they're not working. I think I waited too long.
    The good thing is that I am really excited. I have enjoyed talking to this guy on the phone SO much. I am so comfortable with him already. It's like we've known each other for years. He laughs with me and we really motivates me. When I'm having a down day, I often tell my husband, I think I need to talk to this guy cause he really lifts me up and makes me look forward to the future.
    I have been saying lots of prayers that my body hangs in there - just long enough for me to get this going. Please please please, don't let me get worse.

Then I have this wonderful boss at my "real job". I am fortunate right now. I feel bad for those who are not so. Everyone will have their day. I believe that. In different ways. Keep your eyes and your hearts open.
    I'm a little emotional right now. I always get this way when I'm hurting.

Thanks to you all for your good thoughts!! ...

pssst...thanks again Carla...