Need recommendations for natural adrenal support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Aug 29, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been taking Cortef (generic is hydrocortisone) for adrenal insufficiency since last Oct, so for about 10 months. FFC prescribed it, but I'm not going to them any more. Just too expensive.

My PCP wants me off Cortef due to the increased risk for osteoporosis.

I was taking 20 mg/day. I started weaning a few weeks ago. I'm now down to 10 mg/day. So far so good. I actually feel like I'm sleeping a bit better on the lower dose.

However, I'm worried that going off it completely will put me back into a state of adrenal insufficiency. I really don't want to crash!!

I know people have talked about adrenal glandulars. Can anyone recommend a good one? Specific names would be great. Are there other options?

Thanks!!
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

too pooped, but I'll bump
  3. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

Drenatrophin, a glandular, fixed my adrenal insufficiency.
    You don't have to lean on it forever .. it teaches the adrenals to make hormones again.

(look it up on the web - spinelife)

Consult a good naturopath if you can, and weaning off of adrenal drugs is tricky... make sure you have doctor assistance on that.

Love,

Alyssalyn
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

but my son weaned off of Cortef this summer as well and had no noticeable effects. He's doing fine without it...maybe you'll want to look into those other options.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

lukro - I do currently take Pregnenolone. I take 50 mg every morning. I think it has helped, but I started it close to the same time as a few other things, so it's hard to say exactly what the benefits have been.

alyssalyn - The Drenatrophin sounds very interesting. Glad it's helped you so much. I'll check out the spinelife website.

Alaska3355 - I was wondering how your son was doing off the Cortef. Glad to hear it didn't put him into a major crash.

hayleycole - I'll check into the DGL supplement. I have heard of taking licorice for adrenal/thyroid support, but the high salt is a new one to me! Sounds strange! But, hey, if it works for yah, that's what counts!

Jeanne & dncn - Thanks for the bumps and the mail.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Twinma - I've taken 3 different adrenal glandulars, and they were all good: Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process, Cytozyme AD by Biotics and Adrenogen. I've gotten them all from chiropractors and Spinelife also carries at least the first 2. They really helped a lot

Also, it's important to take a good B complex and extra pantothenic acid for adrenal support.

I read once that taking a steroid like Cortef can be damaging to the adrenals in the long run, because it forces them to keep working even when they're worn out so in the long run the Cortef can cause more damage.

However, the adrenal glandular products let your adrenal glands rest while they do the work. I took adrenal glandulars for several years with no ill effects and finally got off of them this year. I am taking Ashwaganda, an herb which provides adrenal and other support.

Mary