Need relief from TMJ, who else w/ FM/CFS deals with this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by boltchick, Oct 21, 2008.

1. boltchick

boltchick New Member

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the new board, I waited until the last day to change over from the old one. Anyways, I was wondering who suffers from TMJ and what they do for relief. The over the counter meds like ibuprofen are not helping. I take Excedrin migraine, but if it is a particularly painful day, that is no relief either. My nurse practitioner told me I have it, here are my symptoms:

Almost daily headaches or migraines
    painful pressure around ears and jaws, down the neck and upper arms
    sensitive teeth
    popping jaw
    feeling of a bulging or twitching vein above my left ear (maybe from pressure?)
    fluid in ears, from sinus infection
    tightness of throat
    Hand tingling (sometimes)

Some of this is due to the FM, but also are symptoms of TMJ.

Any suggestions for relief? It is getting worse.

Thank you! Kim :)
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi kim

I have TMJ also severe in fact. it about killed me at dentist on fri.

did you know they make a mouth guard? i had one in the past and it really helped. takes a while to get used to and is painful at first.

iam getting another one as im terrible about clenching my teeth.

ive massaged my jaw at hinge part also put heat packs on it.

hope this helps

jenny
  3. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

Hi. I am so sorry you are having TMJ problems. I also have TMJ really bad. I recently went to physical therapy for this issue. We worked on some daily exercises to relax the muscles and help with correct position of the jaw, tonge, neck , and shoulders. They also used unltrasound to help reduce the inflamation in my jaw.I went for a month 3 times per week and am still doing the exercises as a daily routine.It really helped . I also wear a night guard because I grit my teeth.
  4. piratelife

piratelife New Member

Before you spend a lot of money, try a mouth guard that athletes use. You can get them at wal-mart or such for a few bucks. It worked great for me and I don't need it anymore. Also, if you are a gum chewer, I would back off of it for awhile. Hope this helps.
  5. goldengoddess

goldengoddess New Member

- Mouth guard (I got mine from the dentist, but one for athletes is a good place to start)
    - Massage
    - Chiropractor
    -Acupuncture

No gum chewing! Ever! And no gummy candies or tough, chewy foods until you get the pain under control. Good luck, and get a mouth guard!
  6. misskoji

misskoji Member

And this is one of the things on my to-do list, a mouth gaurd.

Meanwhile, the only real releif I have experienced has been from Ibuprofen and muscle relaxants, namely Soma. It helps releive that tension in the jaw and consequently relaxes the neck, shoulders,and some of the headache.

Maybe this would be something you could ask your doctor for? The one who Rx'd it to me said it would help with the TMJ, and it did, at least most of the time.

Good luck and I hope you find some releif soon.
  7. vinman

vinman New Member

i've been dealing with fm and cfs for over 10 yrs. now,have had alot of jaw pain also.i woke up one morning 4 yrs. ago and could't even open my mouth i went to an oral surgeon and had to have my jaw popped back into place.i was told that you have several disc around the jaw joint and due to grinding my teeth while sleeping i had dislocated one of those disc.my jaw pops all the time causes alot of pain starting at the jawjoint then running up the side of my face,can go into a migraine headach if i don't get it under control fast.i found that heat works well,also never ever chew gum or chewey candy,be careful about what you eat,steak or thick crusted pizza can cause mine to flare up.i am on pain meds for the fm that seem to help the jaw pain as well.i have a mouthpiece that my dentist specially made for me i could't wear a regular one because it caused my jaw to stay open just enough to agrevate my jaw even more.he made me one that only covers my 4 front teeth,helps alot with the grinding thing.
  8. boltchick

boltchick New Member

First off, I am sorry that you all have had to deal with this too. And I really appreciate your input. I was feeling kind of down because I haven't been able to focus or do much because the headaches and the jaw, neck and shoulder pain are getting unbearable. I had no idea TMJ could cause this much trouble, or if it is in combination with the FM.

Jenny-Thanks for the heat pack tip, that sounds relaxing. :) I don't think I grind my teeth, but I could be wrong. I am doing a sleep study soon so I guess I will find out for sure.

kingd2-I went through physical therapy for the fibro before and wouldn't mind doing it again. Thanks for letting me know there are daily exercises to help, I will look it up. I am glad they help you. :)

Piratelife-interesting username. :) I occasionally chew gum, but not too often. But the way I feel right now, like everything is flared and irritated, I can see how even some certain foods/gum could affect me. And it looks like most everyone that has replied suggests the nightguard. I have never had my husband tell me I grind my teeth, but who knows, maybe I do. Thanks. :)

goldengoddess-Thanks for mentioning the chiropractor. That makes sense. I used one before when I had a pinched nerve in my neck and it did wonders. I am guessing it must have helped you also. Thanks again. :)

Misskoji-Muscle relaxers, I have them but I am too afraid to take them! Maybe I should just give it a try. My nurse practitioner told me it would help. I am just afraid they will make me too loopy and I won't wake up for my kids if they need me in the middle of the night. I have major sleep issues and wake easily, but I am afraid the relaxers will put me out too much. I should just tell my husband I am going to try it so he can listen for the kids and see how I do. Thanks for the input. :)

Vinman-How scary to wake up and not be able to open your mouth. I am so glad you were able to get some help and some relief with some of the things you suggested. Thanks for the reply. :)

If anyone comes back to this post, or anyone new pops in, can you describe the intensity of your pain? I just feel this is getting so much worse and I was wondering what others are experiencing on a daily basis. If it comes and goes, if the pain is very intense, or dull.

Thanks again everyone! Kim :)
  9. misskoji

misskoji Member

From what I understand, TMJ is a common problem in those with FMS. And if you don't catch yourself doing it, it's hard to tell f you grind your teeth. Maybe DH will keep an eye and ear open for you at night?

I would mostly describe my pain as dull, tense and tender to the touch. Also intense pressure if that makes sense. Mine does come and go. I give in sometimes and chew gum, eat hard to chew naughty stuff, and only have myself to blame. Sometimes when there is high stress/anxiety, it will all tense up. The pops or clicks are sometimes sharp shooting pain that travels to neck and arm.

The muscle relaxers...I do hope you get to try it at at least. I understand being scared of the effects and having children to care for. I've built a tolerance, so I don't experience too many bad things. Maybe you could start with 1/4 pill and then add another 1/4 again if the first doesn't help, and so on until you reach the reccomende amount. Give your body max of an hour to feel the effects and decide if you think you can take more. Then you should be able to tell how much you will be able to tolerate and function ok, and also what dosage will relieve your pain.

The others have given you great advice as well. The mouth gaurd souns promising, and seeing a chiro makes perfect sense. A chiro is the one who dx me with TMJ in the first place.

Anyway, sometimes I think I play doctor too much, tee hee. I hope you talk to your doctor about starting out slow on the mr's and try the things mentioned here.

I'm sorry you're in pain honey. I hope you find relief soon.

Gentle hugs,
    misskoji
  10. boltchick

boltchick New Member

So your pain is also tender to the touch. When I touch my jaw or ears, it doesn't hurt, it is coming from the inside. But the back of my neck muscles and shoulder muscles seem inflamed and are tender to the touch. And I understand it when you say you have intense pressure, so do I.

Thanks for the suggestion to break the pills in quarters, that's a great idea. That would start me off on a very low dose and I can see how I do. Hope you are enjoying your morning and having a pain-free day! Kim :)