Need safe car sickness remedies for kids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Jan 15, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

One of my 11 year old twins gets car sick. This doesn't happen on short outings, only when we are in the car 45 minutes to a hour. And it is usually when we are heading up into the mountains on windy roads. She experiences a mild nausea and slight dizziness. Kind of a fuzzy feeling.

I don't want to do dramamine. That is too powerful and would stay in her system too long.

Anyone have gentle natural or homeopathic remedies? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Katy
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'll keep an eye out for the bracelets. That sounds interesting. Could I use some fresh sliced ginger in hot water as a tea? Would that work as well as capsules?

I like those ideas, Stormy. Thanks!
  3. bozey

bozey New Member

I have suffered car sickness since I was a child. I remember as a child going to my Grandmas only 20 minutes away, I would be sick when we got there. Over the years, I have found a few things that help.

One is ride in the front seat, if that is an option for you. Another trick is to keep looking straight ahead and keep your head still. Do not look side to side, that will get your stomach churning. Do not drive fast on the curves, it makes it worse. Or even laying down in the back seat, be sure to be facing the front of the car and close your eyes. If my eyes are open, I start feeling sick. One more thing is let her scooch up with her head between the 2 front seats to be closer to the windshield.

If she is still sick at the end of your destination, let her lay down for 20 to 30 minutes. It makes the motion of the ride stop. I am 52 and still get car sick sometimes.

I hope at least one of these help her. I feel for her. It sure takes the fun out of a ride. To this day, I always get the front seat.

bozey
  4. shirl517

shirl517 New Member

Do they read will riding?
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

The bracelets I've seen are called Sea Bands and you can get them at lots of pharmacies (like Wal-Mart, Longs, etc).

I get a bit of an allergic reaction if I take ginger orally, but I have rubbed slices of ginger on my wrist for motion sickness and it really helped.

Hyland's Homeopathic makes a remedy called Motion Sickness which is also quite effective. Sometimes you can find it in the health food section of stores like Safeway. If not, many larger health food stores carry it.

Jan
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

They both read in the car. I asked my daughter about when exactly she feels car sick and it is after we have been on windy roads and she has been reading. When she starts feeling queasy, she stops reading. Light Bulb moment!!

She doesn't feel queasy when we are on straight roads and reads, so I didn't make the connection. Good pick up!

I'm going to give the ginger a shot. I like the idea of rubbing it on her wrist when she does feel ill.

I'll look for the Hyland homeopathic remedy, too.

The front seat isn't an option due to front passenger air bag. They are both still in booster seats even though they are 11. Neither of our cars has headrests in the back seats (older cars). So we use the booster seats for the headrests for whiplash protection. I think they will be using booster seats until they are 16! Hopefully, we will get some newer cars by then!

Thanks to all of you for your help! Great ideas!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]